FFVIIR Official Concept Art & Twitter Whatnots

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
I think that things like that are totally fine, so long as they're handled and presented VERY much as being an easter egg.

Imagine something like Reeve having a translation key for an old document written in the same alphabet cipher as Al Bhed, but the language is never explicitly mentioned by name. That way it's something that could just be unique to the world of FFVII that exists all on its own within its own context, but the way that it's borrowing inspiration from another game to make it a little easter egg works as a nod to people who like that connection.

The best kind of canon for those cross-game-world links are the ones that give tiny little ways to potentially allow them to connect, but doesn't ever explicitly force them connect for everyone. Like the Xenomorph skull in Predator 2 – it doesn't necessarily mean that the Predator series will lead to the events in Alien, but it also doesn't mean that it won't. It means that you can enjoy it as a standalone or with the connection however you like best without being wrong about the individual stories' connection to or independence from one another.

X:neo:
That's exactly the kind of stuff I like. Subtle hints is good enough.

I never noticed a xenomorph skull. I'll have to go back and check that out. Speaking of Xenomorphs, hopefully we'll see a sequel to Covenant sometime soon

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Everyone knows the real Al Bhed descendants are the Shinra family themselves. :monster:

The dominant blond hair trait still exists after thousands of years. Weird huh?

Reminds me of those old fanfics where Cloud was a Shinra bastard child. He was one of the few blond characters in the game, when you think about it. Then they actually gave us two canon blondie bastard children. :P

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
While I have some trepidation about the idea of leaning too far into making the loss of Cait Sith No. 1 an actual loss of a person (rather than a deliberately melodramatic exercise in humoring Reeve's well-hidden eccentricities, with lots of eye rolling from Cloud while Aerith playfully hams it up), I could encourage it on one condition:

We get to see an assortment of Cait Sith units waiting in his office on standby, and one of them has a scarf instead of a cape, possibly even an overly long and ridiculous one; another has a fez instead of a crown; and another has a bow tie instead of a cape.

That little bit of nonsense is pretty much the epitome of the compilation's need to explain things nobody was wondering. Just let Reeve be an engineer! He was responsible for developing Midgar, wasn't he? Did he "inspire" that, too?
Oddly enough, "Inspire" was a discarded idea meant for the original game. D=

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer

Full resolution images (not that I can imagine anyone wanting Palmer in crisp HD...)

NGQmoWE.jpg

sYdJYz5.jpg

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I'm interested to see the direction they go with Reeve. For some reason he's always rubbed me wrong (I think part of it may be Cait Sith's antics, but part of that was just Reeve doing his job until he put his foot down), but I think there is the potential for me to like him. He was, after all, the one sane person on the board. For him to stand out in a sea of corruption takes a lot of character, but I think aside from the betrayal stuff, a lot of it was his mannerisms (and Cait's) that somehow rubbed me wrong.

(not that I can imagine anyone wanting Palmer in crisp HD...)

You're not wrong. :monster: Man, you can just see his state of health in his face.

Last edited:

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
Reminds me of those old fanfics where Cloud was a Shinra bastard child. He was one of the few blond characters in the game, when you think about it. Then they actually gave us two canon blondie bastard children. :P

Let's remember that the Prez REALLY got around :awesome:

Also, I stand my ground on Reeve looking like a 90's action movie character. They got the Hans Gruber vives up to eleven and I love it :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Let's remember that the Prez REALLY got around :awesome:

I kinda wish they had one of his bastard kids be a daughter. I'd be interested in seeing what she'd look like and if she'd have a similar personality to the sons. Probably lol.

Also, I stand my ground on Reeve looking like a 90's action movie character. They got the Hans Gruber vives up to eleven and I love it :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

He really does look awesome.

Top Bottom