OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover

Twitter02.png

giphy.gif

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
Please, no Genesis. We don't need him inserting himself into every scene and spouting Loveless in an effort to look cool while failing miserably, lol. Nor an actor/singer with a name that sounds like somebody trying to throw up. Where do they come up with these weird words, anyway? :mon:

Jairus

Just noticed something exciting in this new batch of pics that I wanted to share (aside from that lovely shot of Jessie lol). Take a look at this shot of the motorcycle minigame:

49119446952_92840c18cd_k.jpg

Now look at the bottom right - Wedge is shown in the battle UI along with Cloud! Could this mean that he, Biggs, and Jessie actually could have some amount of playability? The fact that Wedge's bar is colored differently leads me to believe that the trio would be guest combatants if it's possible, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

49118747683_c7f05b42ac_k.jpg

She's like, "Now I know you weren't going to forget about little old me, were you?"

49118747378_d2213e55b0_k.jpg

This is interesting. Weapon levels? So each one can get stronger? Maybe there are situations where one is more suitable than the other and it's not strictly a matter of attack power? That would certainly make things more strategic.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
So, I love pretty much everything that they showed today. Weapons teaching different skills when you've used them enough? Yes please. Recreations of classic key art? In my veins, if you don't mind. Lore and detailed stats pages for enemies? Please and thank you.

I also noticed in the bike chase shot that you can press L1 for ranged attacks. Combine that with Wedge having a health bar and the bike racing seems to have more depth. I hope it doesn't get overly complicated, but I doubt it.

The only thing I don't get the the weapon upgrade image. So weapons have materia built into them that improve the weapon, and separate slots that improve the user? I'm curious about the lore and gameplay applications of this system because I feel like I'm missing something, even if I love the idea of improving weapons.

Jairus

Where did you get that promo render of Choco/Mog, Sephira? Very nice!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
They tweeted it

The only thing I don't get the the weapon upgrade image. So weapons have materia built into them that improve the weapon, and separate slots that improve the user? I'm curious about the lore and gameplay applications of this system because I feel like I'm missing something, even if I love the idea of improving weapons.

I think it's just an in-universe explanation for how you're improving the weapons. I doubt it has any further gameplay implications.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
I think it's just an in-universe explanation for how you're improving the weapons. I doubt it has any further gameplay implications.
Yeah, you're probably right. That confuses me more than just saying "your weapon gets stronger!" but that's just me overthinking it. (How do you fit growth materia to improve a weapon inside Tifa's glove?) And I think of materia as being changeable, so do weapons have set upgrades? Or can you choose what upgrades are there in some cases--like blank spots on the Sphere Grid.

Going back to that bike shot though, I'm guessing Motonox Gust is the name of the bikes they're riding? Getting new bikes would be exciting.

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
I have good news... and bad news.

The press site added more images. The profile shots for Reno and Rude are 5002x5002, but.... look like they were scaled up from a lower resolution and are not of the same quality we had earlier (before they replaced the hi-res images with resized versions), where you could see the intricate details of the textures.

usvTnj8.jpg

E7NsO8s.jpg

There's also keyart for Aerith and Barret. However while the "OG" versions are good, the Aerith one seems to be suffering from some JPG compression (which I suppose is not particularly surprising given this 3900x3056 image is only 470KB, the Barret one has less compression at 985KB).

0MSEbOJ.jpg

xtkj0nW.jpg

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
@Cannon_Fodder the quotes that come with it help give an impression of what they both do:

49118747378_feca01d4a5_b.jpg

Each weapon has its own unique weapon abilities that increase in proficiency the more they are used. When an ability’s proficiency level reaches the maximum, that ability is then learned by the wielder and can be used when wielding any weapon.
These seem more like just skills you get by familiarity with the weapon itself, rather than being materia-related. Martial skills as it were.

49118747433_68323bc877_b.jpg

Here we see Cloud’s Buster Sword upgrade screen. The different options allow you to improve the wielder’s status or increase the number of Materia slots available.

These weapon core Materia seem like they're treated as their own type of materia – which I'm totally cool with.

This is 100% speculation, but I like the idea that they're a type of channeling materia that allows weapons to pass the properties of their linked materia to a user. After all – if you're thinking about it from a lore perspective, materia in weapons/armor are just in close proximity to the person. If you have a ton of materia in a bag, you don't just automagically have the ability to cast all of those materia just because they're close to you. This potentially provides some lore around weapons/armor crafting, that could also explains why weapon core materia upgrades allow you to open additional materia slots, rather than just arbitrarily punching a few extra holes in the HUGE amount of space in the Buster Sword or something.

X :neo:

Top Bottom