Final Fantasy and the SEGA consoles

dark shadow

Rookie Adventurer
I wonder what would it be like if Square Enix decided to make the Final Fantasy games starting with Final Fantasy IV on the SEGA Genesis/Mega Drive instead of the SNES/Super Famicon?

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
If it started on the Master System, the music would suck, compared to SNES.

Genesis or Sega CD VGM maybe not so much...but still notably different and probably not as great.

If they put FFs on Sega Saturn or Dreamcast...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

That I will have to ponder...

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Abortedj, The Offender, Abortedjesus, Testicules,
Alright well...

NES vs Master System. Master System had worst sound, an slightly better graphics. So FF1 2 3, would of looked slightly better, while having worse sound.

SNES vs Geneses. SNES had better sound and graphic, and could use "helper chips". Geneses looses on all fronts. FF4 5 6 would of been worse off. While the sound would of been better with the Sega CD, we don't know they would of been released with that add on in mind. We can use Lunar as an example, and it sounds great, but looks pretty bad (at least the Sega CD version).

Saturn VS PS1. Well the Saturn was designed with 2d graphics in mind. FF7 would likely of looked very different.

After that it is hard to say, as FF8 and 9 might of been saved for the Dreamcast, so it is hard to speculate what would of happened with them.

dark shadow

Rookie Adventurer
Some of the mature and religious stuff would been kept in the Sega version that were changed in the SNES version.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
That's more a matter of localization you're speaking to there, though. That doesn't really have anything to do with the actual development of the titles on one platform versus the other.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Forgot to mention, the market share of the Sega Master System was far smaller than the NES's. So it is likely that had Final Fantasy been a Master System exclusive, that it would be the one and only entry in the series.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Theres also Game Gear.

So, you talking about Final Fantay Adventure, and the FF Legend series? They were just named Final Fantasy for the US release.

Still, the Game Gear was just a portable Master System (they even released a cartridge adaptor to put MS games in the GG). So they would of looked a lot prettier, in theory, but damn did the screen on the Game Gear suck.

dark shadow

Rookie Adventurer
Final Fantasy 1,2 and 3 could go on Game Gear.4,5 and 6 could go on Genesis/Megadrive.7,8 and 9 could go on Saturn and 10 and 11 could go on Dreamcast.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
7,8 and 9 could go on Saturn and 10 and 11 could go on Dreamcast.

Not in forms that would resemble what they are. The abilities of the systems in question are very different from the platforms the game actually did come out on.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I think if Final Fantasy had gone to Sega, I would have always confused it with Phantasy Star.

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Hearing that remix makes me very glad the games weren't on Sega platforms. I am no music expert, but that just sounds wrong.

Lex

Administrator
It's just a different set of sound fonts. You'd be saying the same thing if the games were originally released on the Mega Drive and I was showing you a "SNES Remix" video. It's because you're used to the other sound, not because it's better or worse.

i.e.

sounds so wrong compared to

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
I kinda like that one, has kind of an late 80's synth sound to it.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Sonic 3 and Knuckles shows what the Genesis sound chip is capable of. The Streets of Rage series is another example of fucking awesome music from the Genesis. The console wasn't to be fucked with; it was capable of pumping out some quality power.

Final Fantasy on the Dreamcast would have been amazing. The Dreamcast was ahead of its time in all respects.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Here's my personal favorites for Genesis/Master System Music:

--Sonic/Sonic 2 (classic, really)
--Sonic Spinball
--Arrowflash
--Thunderforce III/IV

However, when it comes to retro FF music...I will always stick with FFV-FFVI sound-font quality.

If you've ever heard the stuff by Cake Jarey, you would know why. (He's on Youtube, look him up!)

Abortedj

The Crawling Chaos
AKA
Final Fantasy on the Dreamcast would have been amazing. The Dreamcast was ahead of its time in all respects.

Which one do you have in mind? FFX came out after the death of the Dreamcast. FF9 could of made it there, but how exactly would it of differed? Might of had slightly better graphics, but other than that what would the Dreamcast done for it?

Lex

Administrator
I recently came across this video and it jogged my memory of this thread. Call me crazy, but I love this:

Top Bottom