Final Fantasy IX

Torrie

straight out of the fairyland
Not quite what I expected, but it's super fitting :D

Someone has went and translated the ultimania to a degree. I almost bought it back went I saw it at Momocon last yr.

Ultimania Translation
Despite playing FF9 on PS1 lots of times, I never realised what position in space the two planets had relative to each other, but TLS and Ultimania gave me another a-ha moment. I should probably replay this game asap and feel old compare my old and new impressions.

Despite playing FF9 on PS1 lots of times, I never realised what position in space the two planets had relative to each other, but TLS and Ultimania gave me another a-ha moment. I should probably replay this game asap and feel old compare my old and new impressions.
Yeah, it doesn't come through too clearly in the text, but luckily Mortal Kombat gave me a decent frame of reference at a young age for the idea of metaphysical realm-mergers as opposed to what actually happens when one planet tries to fuse with another.

IX offers a lot of little a-ha moments. For instance, it took me many years to realise that IX is essentially a kind of meta-remake of every game up to VI. Pretty much all the plot points are there, remixed in one form or another, plus all the obvious nods, winks, and references. (That and the plot of Dragonball Z, for some reason.)

It's really no wonder IX landed strangely for so many players at the time. For most Westerners, "Final Fantasy" was the general setting and tone shared by VII, VIII and maaaybe VI. It's always a bit of a shame when newer fans finds themselves baffled when a long-running franchise pulls off a return to its roots. You can really appreciate it a lot more in the context of the franchise. It's like the first glimpse of the extensive crossover stuff that defines half the spin-off games, along with XIV. An Avengers to their Infinity War, if you like.

The moral of the story is, man, FFIX is great.

Pretty much all pre-FF7 references in FF9 went over my head when I first played but I absolutely adored this game anyway. FF8 was a big disappointment to me because it felt so stale, lifeless and non-fantastical compared to FF7. Returning to a fantasy- and cartoony style with FF9 was exactly what I wanted.

One main reason I avoided FF10 for so long was because the poster of Tidus reminded me of Squall from FF8, so my instinctive reaction was "Ugh, are they going back to FF8 style? No thanks." :wacky:

Played FF10 many years later and while I do prefer the combat there over FF9's combat, I pretty much prefer everything else in FF9 so picking which one to replay would not be difficult. :monster:

Torrie

straight out of the fairyland
IX offers a lot of little a-ha moments. For instance, it took me many years to realise that IX is essentially a kind of meta-remake of every game up to VI. Pretty much all the plot points are there, remixed in one form or another, plus all the obvious nods, winks, and references. (That and the plot of Dragonball Z, for some reason.)
What a sad realisation for those players who haven't played the titles before FF7 and therefore can't recognize any of them. But, luckily, the observation Zidane makes about Cloud was pretty obvious and absolutely hilarious :D

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
Kuja contains trait in some form of every villain before him.

He might be financially the richest villain within the Final Fantasy series if Emperor Mateus isn't counted. He owns an underground palace, dresses elegantly, based on his concept art, he’s likely a noblemen, and might be the owner of Treno’s auction house and he seems to be a regular buyer.

Top Bottom