• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster Series (Mobile/Steam)

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
1639720312817.png

I don't know a lick of Japanese, but I'm pretty sure this does not say "Suplex" because it's currently Sabin's turn, which means he hasn't put in a command yet. Also, even though the katakana of his name is blurred beyond recognition, I can at least tell that it's 4 characters, which I guess probably is マッシュ (Masshu). If it were "Sabin," then it'd be サビン. So, the Japanese script is keeping the Japanese names. I wonder if they'll still use Woolsey's names in the English version. I'm guessing they will...

Terra is ティナ (Te-i-na) here, too. Interestingly, they've never written it as "Ti-na." I can only guess what the reasons are for it, but I do know the character for "ti" (シ) in katakana is pronounced "chi". It's in the name "Masshu" above too, which makes me think it's some sort of odd phonetic device I don't know about. However, if it were spelt in katakana like we typically spell it in English (sometimes used as a shortening of "Christina") she would be [シーナ], which is closer to "Sheena*."

I wonder why Woolsey didn't just go with Teina. That's "fantasy-sounding" enough.

*Who is, as we all know, a punk rocker noooow ??

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
FHGnCTDWUAI60HS

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
Speaking as someone who has beheld the eldritch horrors contained within that 3 megabyte cartridge, yes. This is the right decision.

That ROM is a mess. It's shocking that the game plays as well as it does, to be honest. A cursory search on Romhacking.net's "ROM Hacks" section reveals almost 100 (!) bugfix patches for it, so yeah. Delaying until February makes a lot of sense to me. If you mess with Final Fantasy 6's code in just slightly the wrong way, you can get unexpected Meteor Showers dropped on your head.

Last edited:

Sephiroth Crescent

Way Ahead of the Plot
I thought that was intentional here. :huh:
I mean, if all enemies flip except Phantom Train, that must have been clearly intended (even if mistakenly) and not an oversight, right?
The weird thing to me is to flip the train and then having it magically become normal afterwards with no special animation for it.
Meteor Strike (suplex), realistically speaking (lol), should either not be possible (:no:) or be a cutscene to end the battle (:awesome:).
But this is OG FF6 again and not a remake, so that's alright. :mon:

Either way, I still wonder if they plan on bringing these to Nintendo Switch later, with the Advance/PSP content as a novelty.
Most likely a straight port with bugfixes.

Nandemoyasan

Standing guard
AKA
Johnny
There were some cosmetic changes, but as someone who has played this entry possibly more than any other video game, the encounter rates, the encounters themselves and the pack formations, the speed at which things move in battle, the controls, the animation, the music (which fades out when it ought to!!), and the sound effects all feel really really good. This is somehow almost a 1:1 copy of the GBA/SNES versions in those respects.

Characters even leap onto the screen at the start of battle, or blink, or drop in from the top, just as they always have. I'm always glad for this feature to be included and done well. The battles feel fast and the controls are super easy. Blitzing also shows you the command you're doing and lets you select which Technique you wish to attempt first. That's a nice, unobtrusive and probably inexpensive (memory-wise) choice. I love it.

I did notice that only the 1st floor of the Northern House in S.Figaro already has the "Under Martial Law" BGM when you first walk into it, and it always does after that. That's an incorrect BGM; it's not supposed to have that song til you revisit it with Locke, and then the whole town has it. Beyond that, the game can feel a little gauzy and wooden, but then so did the GBA version. The map colors from the GBA version aren't doing this one any favors. Mods are your friends if you know how to use them sparingly. (I modded it back to the SNES font and I use ReShade for fake crt lines cuz I'm weird).

As far as general game feel it's got it nailed. There were 5 Pixel Remasters before that did this too but 6 is a bit more abundant in terms of memory than the rest that came before it. The backgrounds look just phenomenal in this version. You can see out of doors once they're open, if they lead outside to daylight. That's a nice touch. Kefka also feels appropriately mind-bendingly weird.

... "This is a great Chocobo." Also, I didn't get it til I played this verson that Techno De Chocobo is spelling out the word in Romaiji during the 1st reprise of its intro.* I mentioned I'm weird right?

*Vehicle travel rocks and is properly fast and animated as the SNES did it, it's good, it's not slow like the GBA verson and ...that thing...

Last edited:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
There were some cosmetic changes, but as someone who has played this entry possibly more than any other video game, the encounter rates, the encounters themselves and the pack formations, the speed at which things move in battle, the controls, the animation, the music (which fades out when it ought to!!), and the sound effects all feel really really good. This is somehow almost a 1:1 copy of the GBA/SNES versions in those respects.

Characters even leap onto the screen at the start of battle, or blink, or drop in from the top, just as they always have. I'm always glad for this feature to be included and done well. The battles feel fast and the controls are super easy. Blitzing also shows you the command you're doing and lets you select which Technique you wish to attempt first. That's a nice, unobtrusive and probably inexpensive (memory-wise) choice. I love it.

I did notice that only the 1st floor of the Northern House in S.Figaro already has the "Under Martial Law" BGM when you first walk into it, and it always does after that. That's an incorrect BGM; it's not supposed to have that song til you revisit it with Locke, and then the whole town has it. Beyond that, the game can feel a little gauzy and wooden, but then so did the GBA version. The map colors from the GBA version aren't doing this one any favors. Mods are your friends if you know how to use them sparingly. (I modded it back to the SNES font and I use ReShade for fake crt lines cuz I'm weird).

As far as general game feel it's got it nailed. There were 5 Pixel Remasters before that did this too but 6 is a bit more abundant in terms of memory than the rest that came before it. The backgrounds look just phenomenal in this version. You can see out of doors once they're open, if they lead outside to daylight. That's a nice touch. Kefka also feels appropriately mind-bendingly weird.

... "This is a great Chocobo." Also, I didn't get it til I played this verson that Techno De Chocobo is spelling out the word in Romaiji during the 1st reprise of its intro.* I mentioned I'm weird right?

*Vehicle travel rocks and is properly fast and animated as the SNES did it, it's good, it's not slow like the GBA verson and ...that thing...

This is the kind of deep dive analysis that I L-I-V-E for.

Top Bottom