Final Fantasy VII Community Playthrough

Lex

Administrator
We're about to start the final chapter soon-ish. I'll be starting the stream here in about 15 minutes - half an hour. If anyone wants to, the video will be available to view afterwards. Sadtaimu, it's the end!

EDIT: Stream has begun.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
sp_0512_02_v6.jpg

Lex

Administrator
When you said you'd make a token post so I didn't have to triple post, I was not expecting that :desu:

The playthrough is over! Here are my final chapter details:

Took a party of Cloud, Tifa and Yuffie into the northern crater. Cloud had 2x-Cut and Tifa had Slash-all. I went into it deciding I was only going to use physical attacks to get through to the end (materia makes this very easy).

Made a blunder in the Norther Crater where the party splits up and accidentally sent Cloud right. This works well for the item duplication trick, and there were some materia I wanted (Mega-All etc) so when I got to the bottom I doubled back on both of the left paths. Fought a few movers and magic pots etc, but only the ones I ran into. Couldn't really be bothered grinding.

I was struck by how high the encounter rate is, but I suppose you always are when you're looking to get into the next area. Got Pandora's Box on all my Enemy Skill materia. Didn't bother with Roulette, Angel Whisper or Dragon Force, because I'd forgotten to give someone manipulate and I knew I wasn't really going to have a use for them anyway.

Got to the bottom, got two Command Counter and Mega-Alls. Gave a mega all to Tifa, gave one to Cid (I swapped out Yuffie for him, I like using him) and left Cloud with 2x-Cut. Jenova Synthesis went down with a few hits, Bizarro went down really quick with Deathblow + Mega All, and I waited on Safer til he used supernova because I wanted to see it (also glorious music etc). Then killed him.

I liked watching the ending again after having played it. The moment at the very end when
you see Aerith
gets me every time.

It's been fun guys ^_^

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I did something crazy: I finished the game. Finally!

Tackling the final quartet of bosses with Cloud alone (and no KOTR) was an utter breeze. I'll make a full write-up soon :)

Lex

Administrator
Holy crap, didn't you finish it that time we Skyped? Or IIRC you had to stop because it was late. Why the hell did it take you so long?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I got distracted :monster: Besides, of the five (?) people who were taking part in this - not to mention the handful of others who signed up because they wanted a character named after them - I'm the second to finish :)

Lex

Administrator
Didn't Sprites and Fangu finish too? Oh lawd this was a long time ago now :monster:

Remember when we regularly did chapters and skyped one or two times a week. I miss those days :sadpanda:

Fangu

Great Old One
I didn't finish, but I'm not too far away from doing so - I should probably do this when exams are over.

Sprites

Waiting for something
AKA
Gems
I didn't finish either, I still have Diamond Weapon to fight :D, in fairness to me, I've had no time whatsoever for any games since September time and until after Christmas that's probably still not going to happen with me, but hopefully afterwards I will

p.s I miss skype and our chapter playthroughs too.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
I finally entered the Mukki room

I had Cloud enter the tub with the group...

Now I have truly experienced FFVII

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
So, here's a write-up of the end of the game. I realise now that I never posted a final chapter brief. Oh well.

One of the reasons why the game took so long to finish was because I spent too much time messing around in the crater. I did the version of the duplication trick that involves using the "extended" W-Item glitch, which involved going up and down all the paths at the split a couple of times, leaving the crater entirely, saving at the Highwind, then going all the way back. It probably wasn't worth it, as I'm not likely to pick up the game again, and even if I do (to defeat the extra Weapons, for example), I might not need the extra items I gained compared to the normal duplication trick.

Anyway. At the Mosey my Cloud was level 68, equipped with Ultima Weapon, a Mystile and a Ribbon. I wrote down his materia set-up but I don't have it with me as I type this. That's alright, though, as I didn't actually need most of the materia that I gave him, which included W-Magic and Ultima. As I realised in my earlier no materia game, so much time is lost to fiddling around in the menus in the search of the perfect set-up, but a lot of it is vain. The only things I used were Slash All, Deathblow - Added Cut, Destruct and Counter Attack. Sure, I had a couple of mastered HP Pluses on too, but I would have survived without them. And I decided not to use KOTR, even though I had spent time getting it, because it's boring. The party's other characters were Tifa and Cid, for what it's worth, but they were both knocked out the whole time. Tifa's level was still in the twenties :)

Jenova's tentacles went down with a Slash-All, and her body needed just a couple more Deathblow - Added Cut combos. She didn't even start the countdown. Bizarro was dealt with in exactly the same way. He wasn't dealing much damage, but he did give Cloud a limit break with his final attack. That meant that Safer got Omnislashed before he could do anything, but it wasn't quite enough to kill him. He got in Shadow Flare and Wall, which I dispelled, before he succumbed to Cloud's physical attacks. The final Sephiroth was defeated by a counter attack because I wasn't really paying attention to the game and didn't make Cloud Omnislash in time :P

So, the final bosses can be defeated without using materia, and they can be defeated with only a single character. I'm quite sure that single character could have defeated them without materia, too. There is only one conclusion I can draw from this: Final Fantasy VII is TOO EASY. If you look around the internet, you will find examples of them being defeated with a single character, who might be at a very low level (e.g. Tifa at seven), who might not have any equipment upgrades, who might not be able to use items or a specific type of materia, or whatever other self-imposed restriction the player feels like. I was, once again, left with a feeling of disappointment at the end of the game. The ending itself is also pretty crap, to be honest. A game as good as VII deserved better.

That reminds me, I was going to write an article about the different self-imposed challenges that are available with VII. I'd still like to do that, but it would be a hefty time commitment, so I can't promise to get it done any time soon.

Lex

Administrator
That's a great idea Flint, we should really have an article like that. I look forward to reading it.

The game really is too easy. There are hardcore mods out there though, for both the PS and PC versions. You should check one out when you do another playthrough. I was going to say "if" but you know you'll play it again at some point XD.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I've seen Youtube videos of the hardcore mods, and I'd like to try them. I didn't know a version existed for the Playstation as well though. It can be played on an emulator, I take it?

Lex

Administrator
Absolutely. I don't bother with them because the PC version is easier to mod, but there are a few gameplay mods available for the PS version using a simple patcher.

FFVII Lost Wing
FFVII - Rebirth

There are actually quite a few, but those were the easy to find ones. Someone on Qhimm called Armorvill made a hard mod a few years ago too that I think people liked. Some mods also include bug fixes (like fixing MDef etc).

Top Bottom