Final Fantasy X Sucks

Jiggle Tifa

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I never had the opportunity to play Final Fantasy X when it came out for Playstation 2. I got the game and a day later my PS2 died. So when I saw that Final Fantasy X came out remastered for the Playstation 3, I became very excited and purchased it right away. As it turns out, it was the biggest waste of $37 that I spent this year.

It is important to begin with the positives about this game. The graphics and music are both excellent. The character Auron is fascinating and mysterious. This concludes the positive aspects about Final Fantasy X.

1) The battle system, known as the Sphere Grid, is terrible. Gone are any EXP points from battle. You plot your character stat upgrades by receiving AP instead. It sounds good until you find yourself limited by the design of the grid. For example, many times you'll want to learn a very useful spell but it will be blocked by a “level sphere”. And since the 3's and 4's are harder to get in the game, you eventually keep moving your character along the sphere to gain other abilities, taking them further and further from that spell you wanted...So go back you say. Not so easy as that requires AP, too! And once you get to the higher levels where it takes 40,000+ AP to gain one movement on the grid, that is a LOT of backtracking.

2) The voice acting sucks beyond belief. Square should have kept the Japanese voices and had the English audience read subtitles. The English voices are whiney, stupid, and sound like hormonal high school kids (especially Tidus and Yuna). The voices are so stupid, and the characters babble about so much nonsense, that my roommates overhearing me play the game, asked me on several occasions: “what in the world are you playing?”. This is the kind of game you play in secret, because being associated as one to play along with such a terrible storyline and voice acting reveals the idiocy of the player themselves.

3) Blitzball? Give me a break. This mini game is such BS. Go to hell Wakka and Tidus. Go play FIFA.

4) No overworld map to explore? F* you Square.

5) “Sin”, Jecht, and Seymour are all losers.

6) The storyline is half-baked, extremely linear, pulled from several real world mythologies, fried, and pooped out for the player to enjoy. Yum.

7) I took the game out of the PS3 and threw it into the trash. Finally, Tidus and Yuna can now STFU.

Lex

Administrator
I've been coming back to this page for about half an hour and re-reading, and I can't really come up with a full response that I would want to post without seeming like I'm a dick.

I like the game, and I respect that not everyone does. I even get it when some people share reasons they don't like the game - annoying menuing, bad dialogue, awkward animation, blitzball is dumb etc. I can usually see where they're coming from. Not only do I disagree with most of your points, I think half of them are kind of baseless.

Each to their own I guess.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
I don't put them at fault for the voices. This is the first Final Fantasy that had actual voices so... It was pretty good when it was a new experience. Replaying it now, yeah, it's gonna sound not as good because things improve with time and practice. I mean every FF game after that had pretty good English voice acting.

I hate Blitzball too but you are literally forced to play it one time and then you can forget it forever so it's not a big deal to me.

Your opinion on the battle system I feel I don't need to say anything about because it's a sort of system where you either like it or you don't. I kinda missed the typical way of leveling but I didn't mind the sphere grid. I did get annoyed by it in FFX-2 but overall after I got used to it I kind of enjoyed it.

I also hate the cloister of trials EW but they don't make the game bad, lol. Not sure why you hated Yuna and Tidus though, could you elaborate? If it's just because of their voices I am totally judging. :awesome:

i will agree that seymour is a loser and looks like a pedophile tho

Kuja9001

Ooooh Salty!
AKA
roxas9001, Krat0s9001, DarkSlayerZero
I have a love/hate type thing for X Yuna, X-2 Yuna is better.

Seymour was the perfect voice & her non HD face is tons better.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I took the game out of the PS3 and threw it into the trash.

I never understood this rationale. I can think up a lot of better uses for a game I didn't enjoy than to throw it away.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
i will agree that seymour is a loser and looks like a pedophile tho
Stop stealing my words, please.

I love FFX a lot so I can't really agree with that at all, but hey, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Fangu

Great Old One
I agree with Lex. I'm not an X fan, I just didn't enjoy the game, but for (almost) none of the reasons you mention.

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
I still liked X, but I see your point. For me FFX is the official mark of when the shit starts to hit the fan. And of course one has to ask the question: What did we get after? I still remember the shock I had when I heard that FFXI was going to be an online game. One of my friends ended up buying that game, not knowing that it was a MMORPG. Naturally he threw the game to trashers and hasn't touched SE game since. Makes me wonder what am I still doing here... The direct sequel FFX-2 was more of a fanservice than it was a game. To this day it's the only game in the series I couldn't finish.

Prost, man!

SirVival

Pro Adventurer
Sorry, how do you buy XI and not know it's an MMORPG? Did he not so much as read the box?

Thanks for pointing that out, I intended to answer that question in my earlier message, but I came to the conclusion that nobody would care enough to ask. Yes that's exactly what he did. If I remember correctly by the time FFXI was published (2003-2004?) he had already played through many of the earlier installments. Apparently he was so excited to see the FFXI in the shop that he just bought it immediately without thinking too much into it! I remember he invited me over to enjoy the first moments together, but as soon as I got there he had already realised the true nature of this abomination of a game. In my area playing online MMORPG's (or even online games) hadn't landed yet very well. Especially the monthly fee necessary to play the game was a robbery of the worst kind. And let's be honest - the final fantasy franchise had been built around single player gaming on a console. For sure if one would've kept himself properly informed (well in this case even the absolute minimum would've done the trick :monster:) that wouldn't have happened, but the disappointment we both suffered on that day was fatal for his interest in the franchise. Who the fuck would've initially thought FFXI would be an online game? I sure as hell knew nothing about it. I don't wish to sidetrack this thread any longer, but I'll say this: I would be interested in hearing why FFXI is actually called the 11th installment, when they would've been better off naming it differently (why not just Final Fantasy Online?)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I kind of wish they had done it that way too. I guess it goes back to their "there's no one way to make a Final Fantasy game" philosophy.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I never had the opportunity to play Final Fantasy X when it came out for Playstation 2. I got the game and a day later my PS2 died. So when I saw that Final Fantasy X came out remastered for the Playstation 3, I became very excited and purchased it right away. As it turns out, it was the biggest waste of $37 that I spent this year.

It is important to begin with the positives about this game. The graphics and music are both excellent. The character Auron is fascinating and mysterious. This concludes the positive aspects about Final Fantasy X.

1) The battle system, known as the Sphere Grid, is terrible. Gone are any EXP points from battle. You plot your character stat upgrades by receiving AP instead. It sounds good until you find yourself limited by the design of the grid. For example, many times you'll want to learn a very useful spell but it will be blocked by a “level sphere”. And since the 3's and 4's are harder to get in the game, you eventually keep moving your character along the sphere to gain other abilities, taking them further and further from that spell you wanted...So go back you say. Not so easy as that requires AP, too! And once you get to the higher levels where it takes 40,000+ AP to gain one movement on the grid, that is a LOT of backtracking.

2) The voice acting sucks beyond belief. Square should have kept the Japanese voices and had the English audience read subtitles. The English voices are whiney, stupid, and sound like hormonal high school kids (especially Tidus and Yuna). The voices are so stupid, and the characters babble about so much nonsense, that my roommates overhearing me play the game, asked me on several occasions: “what in the world are you playing?”. This is the kind of game you play in secret, because being associated as one to play along with such a terrible storyline and voice acting reveals the idiocy of the player themselves.

3) Blitzball? Give me a break. This mini game is such BS. Go to hell Wakka and Tidus. Go play FIFA.

4) No overworld map to explore? F* you Square.

5) “Sin”, Jecht, and Seymour are all losers.

6) The storyline is half-baked, extremely linear, pulled from several real world mythologies, fried, and pooped out for the player to enjoy. Yum.

7) I took the game out of the PS3 and threw it into the trash. Finally, Tidus and Yuna can now STFU.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
You know, I've heard better construed reasoning for hating Final Fantasy VIII. And that's a game I enjoy and readily defend!

In fact I don't condone "FF hate topics" for the simple reason that every game has a high point and a low point.

Certainly, they could've done better in a few aspects, but look at it this way:

Final Fantasy X was good for it's time. It was the first "talkie" FF (for good or for bad), so it pretty much turned the series in to something new (despite the fact RPGs like Valkyrie Profile were already giving us voice work years earlier).

I think the most memorable moment I can recall in FFX was two things:

1. Being reintroduced to the Piano Intro (To Zanarkand) from the title.

2. Watching Ultima as a spell... visually the best explosion of colors I have ever seen on the PS2.

Yeah it's not my favorite Final Fantasy, but it's not something I wouldn't revisit either.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves

If there was ever a reason to hate FFX, this is it right here.

FFX was actually my first FF game... so I can't hate it cause I loved it so much. Imagine MY surprise when I found out the other FFs played nothing like it :monster:

But actually I enjoyed it very much. I don't think I could hate it even if it was considerer the worst FF ever.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I despise the laughing scene too, but now that I'm older I can see the significance behind that scene.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
As I've stated before, any annoyance the laughing scene ever caused was far, FAR outweighed by the decade and a half I've had to endure of people bitching about it.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
I don't understand what people are talking about. The laughing scene is absolutely hilarious.

Top Bottom