Forum software upgrade (for real now)

Lex

Administrator
I'm prodding about in the junkyard and once again baffled by the amount of mixed up shit in there. For context there's a mix of actual spam and legit posts from newbies that the Check For Spam service has dumped in there, and because it's gone to the junkyard it's not been checked by anyone. So we've potentially lost members because of it. It's not anybody's fault but the system's really, but it's still a downer because I actually want to "approve" a shitload of the threads in there but you'd be seeing a thousand threads of "hi I'm this person and I thought this FF news was really interesting" threads going all the way back to 2011. But I don't want to delete them.

Thankfully XF has a super obvious moderation queue. vB really is a dick, I'm glad we're moving :/

The move is happening tonight btw guys. Whatever we don't get done this side of the move will be done tomorrow prior to the new board going live. Please bear with us while we work out the kinks and get stuff up to the way everyone wants it to be - XF is far superior to what we have now and we'll work really hard to get everything done as fast as possible but just bear in mind that it's a big change so be patient while we sort everything out.

IMPORTANT

While a version of the board as it is will be archived, posts made after the transfer is started will be lost/ may not transfer. Keep this in mind. The board might also behave strangely while the transfer is in progress. May also be some downtime tomorrow while we test the new board before it's open to public.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'm prodding about in the junkyard and once again baffled by the amount of mixed up shit in there. For context there's a mix of actual spam and legit posts from newbies that the Check For Spam service has dumped in there, and because it's gone to the junkyard it's not been checked by anyone. So we've potentially lost members because of it. It's not anybody's fault but the system's really, but it's still a downer because I actually want to "approve" a shitload of the threads in there but you'd be seeing a thousand threads of "hi I'm this person and I thought this FF news was really interesting" threads going all the way back to 2011. But I don't want to delete them.

Thankfully XF has a super obvious moderation queue. vB really is a dick, I'm glad we're moving :/

A lot of those legit posts from non-spambot users ended up reposting within a couple minutes without the links and whatnot that got them flagged, so approving those posts in the Junkyard were irrelevant almost immediately and thus just left there, because restoring them would result in duplicates. I've tried to keep a close eye on things that ended up there, but I am quite glad we're finally moving to a system that'll hopefully be a little bit less shit at telling spambots and users apart & letting us deal with them accordingly.

X :neo:

Lex

Administrator
I get what you're saying X, but regardless there are posts in there from people who never tried to post again. It's not obvious at all to mods when there are posts that need moderator approval, just makes me super glad we're getting away from this system now :/

Claymore

3x3 Eyes
Excited! Hope it all goes well and looking forward to the new forums!

If you need any normal users around to test things btw before going completely live, I should be around.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
This caught me completely by surprise and shock. I have no idea what to do or if I have start up a new account all over again over the new server.

Can any of you guys tell me what to do before I end up losing my current account?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
This caught me completely by surprise and shock. I have no idea what to do or if I have start up a new account all over again over the new server.

Can any of you guys tell me what to do before I end up losing my current account?

You'll have the same account.

Lex

Administrator
Excited! Hope it all goes well and looking forward to the new forums!

If you need any normal users around to test things btw before going completely live, I should be around.

This will probably be helpful, I might pop you a link when it's up :)

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie

You'll have the same account.

Okay, but, do I have to go somewhere else in order to access it or is the style of the forums changing? I haven't really checked. Sorry.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
After the migration you'll be able to log in with your existing account; none of your posts will be lost, your PMs will remain, etc. Nothing to worry about.

The look and feel of the site will change though. Check out https://thelifestream.net/xforums/ for a preview, you should be able to log in with your current account details there as well.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
After the migration you'll be able to log in with your existing account; none of your posts will be lost, your PMs will remain, etc. Nothing to worry about.

The look and feel of the site will change though. Check out https://thelifestream.net/xforums/ for a preview, you should be able to log in with your current account details there as well.

I managed to do that and well, I'll get used to it. It'll take a while, though.

T@ctic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Orah, Iju
so when the migration is done, we will be given a new site or will it be automatically redirected when we go this url?

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
it is Wendesday my dudes. Some notes:

* Some quotes will be buggered
* Japanese text is buggered; I don't think there's an automated fix for that, so we (whoever posted the original, staff / mods, etc) need to go back to old!tls and manually copy / paste the original Japanese text.

Top Bottom