Hayao Miyazaki retires after the release of his next film

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
The Guardian said:
The Oscar-winning Japanese film-maker Hayao Miyazaki is to retire from directing after the release of his final movie, which premiered in competition at the Venice film festival at the weekend.

The famed animator was not in Italy for the debut of The Wind Rises, but his retirement was revealed by Studio Ghibli president Koju Hoshino in a deliberately short announcement on Sunday ahead of a full press conference in Tokyo next week. "He wants to say goodbye to all of you," said Hoshino

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/02/studio-ghibli-hayao-miyazaki-retires

What I've read (from a Finnish news page) Studio Ghibli is still going to continue to finish their two upcoming films, but the future seems to be uncertain after that.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I wonder if this announcement for retirement will be the for sure one. :huh:

In any case I hope he can get to relax as much as possible.

Kuroto

Pro Adventurer
Miyazaki gave Finnish Broadcasting Company an exclusive interview were he said that full-length movies are physically too much for him these days. He might still be making short films though. He is already 72 years old, so it is not really surprising. He also said that if he would start making another movie he would be already 80 by the time it's finished.

Here is the interview (unfortunately there is no English translation, but if anyone here knows any japanese you can at least understand Miyazaki): http://yle.fi/uutiset/hayao_miyazaki_jaahyvaishaastattelussa_halusin_muumeihin_tankin/6921093

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
Ok, then this time will be for real. I hope he can have a happy retirement and do whatever makes him happy.

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
He's worked goddamned hard for a long time giving us supremely awesome stuff. If he's ready to retire, he's earned it many times over and I hope he enjoys the hell out of it :monster:

laurence

Pro Adventurer
Sucks for us fans, but well deserved if that's what he wishes. I love his style in all his movies, the few anime of which I soundly enjoyed watching in recent years, and which can be seen over and over. Can't wait for his next one.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

Vespa

❍
AKA
ワスプ
Good riddance. Been nearly ten years since a half decent Miyazaki film and over twenty years since his best contributions.

Vespa

❍
AKA
ワスプ
Perhaps I was harsh. If he died I'd have been more melancholy.
Actually if Mamoru Oshii died I'd be all melancholy.

Ghost X

Bound to happen eventually. Time for someone else to shine, and introduce us to interesting worlds and such whilst they're at it.

Top Bottom