Hopes for Remake & Rebirth (story/content)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
In terms of content I wonder whether many people might end up being disappointed with the scope of the environments.

I've always been one to tell people to keep their expectations in check as I've often seen people hope for a fully explorable Midgar, wishing to visit all sectors, being able to use the motorcycle to travel between districts etc etc
My expectations for this have always been that it's gonna be fairly linear just like the original, with the original areas being bigger than before and very few completely new locations.

So far my expectations have been met completely. I am fine with that though I do wonder how those who had loftier expectations for this will feel.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
In terms of content I wonder whether many people might end up being disappointed with the scope of the environments.

I've always been one to tell people to keep their expectations in check as I've often seen people hope for a fully explorable Midgar, wishing to visit all sectors, being able to use the motorcycle to travel between districts etc etc
My expectations for this have always been that it's gonna be fairly linear just like the original, with the original areas being bigger than before and very few completely new locations.

So far my expectations have been met completely. I am fine with that though I do wonder how those who had loftier expectations for this will feel.
As much as people deride "linearity" in games, I always thought one of the Midgar section's biggest strengths was how cohesive the narrative was during it. The plot was always moving, the stakes were always shifting, and there was never a dull moment. The midgar portion had a real sense of focus that I feel the rest of the game kinda lacked. Good to know that's intact in the Remake too.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
In terms of localization I hope the term "Gaia" won't worm its way into the official English script (outside of Gaea's Cliff). Bugs me they even put it in the FFVII trophy list. :shifty:
FFVII's planet doesn't have a canon name and "Gaia" irrationally annoys me to this day :wacky:

I now have an answer to this

Not a single mention of the planet being called that during my playthrough, suck it ffwiki

Pizzachu

SOLDIER Fan

Not a single mention of the planet being called that during my playthrough, suck it ffwiki

I think I found something about this in the leaks:
There is a line of dialogue by Chadley that did pique my interest: "Together with the great Bahamut, you can obliterate Shinra and wipe their existence from the face of gaia."

He doesn't refer to it as a capitalized name, but more as a way to describe the planet. I wonder if this is still in the game?

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate

not long ago, I read that th

didn't they say the remake is a separate canon though? So the OG would still be Gaia

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
There is a line of dialogue by Chadley that did pique my interest: "Together with the great Bahamut, you can obliterate Shinra and wipe their existence from the face of gaia."

He doesn't refer to it as a capitalized name, but more as a way to describe the planet. I wonder if this is still in the game?

I haven't gotten this yet but if true...curse you, localizers!

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias

See for yourself toward the end of this YouTube video:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Tres I don't know what I'm meant to be looking for.

It was never called Gaia in the OG. I will die on this hill.
For the release version of the game, after the battle with
Bahamut, Chadley says "Together with the legendary Bahamut, I have every confidence you can expunge Shinra from existence" instead of the previously datamined line "Together with the great Bahamut, you can obliterate Shinra and wipe their existence from the face of gaia."

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
For the release version of the game, after the battle with
Bahamut, Chadley says "Together with the legendary Bahamut, I have every confidence you can expunge Shinra from existence" instead of the previously datamined line "Together with the great Bahamut, you can obliterate Shinra and wipe their existence from the face of gaia."

Localizers uncursed again!

Philmac

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
Ex First Class
I just want to see a scenario where Areith lives and she and Cloud get together. I know that’s not going to happen, and obviously nothing against Tifa (who I also like), it’s just I’ve seen Cloud and Tifa end up together before. I’d like to see what a Cloud/Areith happy ending would look like.

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
I just want to see a scenario where Areith lives and she and Cloud get together. I know that’s not going to happen, and obviously nothing against Tifa (who I also like), it’s just I’ve seen Cloud and Tifa end up together before. I’d like to see what a Cloud/Areith happy ending would look like.

Maybe AU bonus content? Or an OVA?

Via Purifico

Pro Adventurer
DLC? And who's to say it'd be a happy ending they'd give people if they do a DLC. They might go the route FF13-2 went and show alternate timelines, but everything's worse than the canon choice.

Via Purifico

Pro Adventurer
Well, I haven't played OG in forever so I had to dig my guide out to remind me of all the stuff that happens.

Disc 2:
Chapter 1: Opening is still at Kalm with an entire chapter dedicated to Cloud's flashback of Nibelheim, expanding on his crush (if they don't include the bit about Cloud looking through Tifa's drawers I'm gonna be so disappointed! The drawers bit is also a good point to add some shipping and/or teasing), seeing his mother and just fleshing out the whole village, so the tragedy of what happens hits harder later and the shock when they find Nibelheim rebuilt hits even more.
Looking around Kalm, doing side quests and expanding that whole bit before the chocobo ranch, since leaving the village draws a clear line where a chapter should end. It also gives time for world building and the eventual reveal of the world map.
Maybe address some of Cloud's glitches and make a plan.

Chapter 2: the chocobo ranch and mythril mine. I honestly don't think it needs adding anything new besides the usual polish and cut scenes magic. Something new for this chapter though, would be exiting the mine, hitting a forest and running into Yuffie because the guide at this point mentions you can get her as an optional party member from here - and we know optional party members won't be a thing. We could also make a pass at Fort Condor, but not go in since that's an optional section and something I'd be happy to drop for other new content - and we go back there later anyway.

Chapter 3: Junon harbour and city + sneaking into the airport, Cloud's parade and getting on the boat. The save Priscilla minigame could be redone so we don't blow her up like a balloon, and there's other side quest options that could be added, too. Ofc more cut scenes, especially once they're on the boat to give a transition to the scene and then a boss fight with Jenova once we're on board.

Chapter 4: Costa del Sol + new content. No idea what, but that part of the game is campy af and definitely could be expanded. Maybe another date option or lead in for the optional dates?

Chapter 5: Mt Corel + Gold Saucer, but only briefly for the latter since we get dumped into the prison. Maybe a pass through to tease what we could have seen, but can't because plot.

Chapter 6: Corel prison + Barret's arc. Just expand the shit out of it. I wanna see more Barret back story.

Chapter 7: Chocobo race + Gongaga. Having the lighthearted bit separated from Barret's arc gives a breather and the proper respect to how serious his backstory is. Cut scenes all over the place for Gongaga. Lots of Zack & Clerith fan service, maybe some Zerith too.

Chapter 8: Cosmo Canyon/Gi cave + Red's arc. I wanna feel as choked up seeing the statue of his dad as I was in the OG.

Chapter 9: Nibelheim + Tifa's arc. More Zack fan service and Clotif. Shinra mansion + lost number battle. Vincent joins the party, non-optional.

Chapter 10: Mt Nibel. The whole thing could be expanded to fill an entire chapter no problem and the boss fight with the Materia Keeper would be lit. There's also chances to learn more about the planet and materia and stuff too.

Chapter 11: Rocket Town and Cid's intro. Palmer boss fight could still be comical af.

Chapter 12: Wutai and Yuffie's arc. We meet the Turks on vacay and see Reno dropkick Corneo off a mountain.

Chapter 13: the cat and the keystone + date night. Stealing the keystone could be a mission impossible style event. Cait Sith joins the party and something I'd like to see change is that he doesn't give the keystone to the Turks after, since we know he's Reeve and that feels weird for him to still be on Shinra's side after all the things we saw in Remake. We see the outcome of all the optional dating choices and get to play about in the Gold Saucer for a while.

Chapter 14: Temple of the Ancients + Aerith's resolve. That whole dungeon is gonna be killer remade, and I'd like to see more of Aerith's choices this time round, since it's debatable what she knows. Also, the dream sequence redone, although after the first one it feels a bit stale to have them talk not in person again.

Chapter 15: Bone village and digging side quest. Sleeping forest. Cloud being snarky about having to dig up shit is the goal here. Finally getting into the forest and going round in circles has a lot of scope for fun frustrating dialogue, bit like the stairs climb.

Chapter 16: City of the Ancients. Aerith lives (psych). Even looking at the guide to cross refence, I can't get over how stunning the OG did this scene. I do think the actual death is a bit weird, so remaking that to give it maximum impact could work. Her death in hi def would be perfection and reintroduce the themes that were softened by events in disc 1. I honestly can't see Square making her live unless it's a DLC extra fan service au thing.

End game on Aerith sinking into the lake, plus a voice over in a demoralised tone of voice to further add to the seriousness and melancholy tone of events.

If Square is aiming for even chapters for each game then there's two more chapters they can add that have other content. Ofc there's gonna be more Jenova and Sephiroth in those spaces and I hope we see more of Cloud's PTSD and it doesn't just get washed away because it's no longer as important as a plot device. More shipping. I'm a Tifa fan and Square spoiled us with content in 1, so I hope they keep things balanced for disc 2, too.

SpacemanZero

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I hope they make it all the way to the Northern Crater in the next part. I think finding the real Sephiroth and Cloud losing his mind would setup the third part better. If they're going for a trilogy.

Then they could start the last game without Cloud and focus first part of that story in recovering him, after escaping from Junon. Imo it works better in the beginning of a game than in the middle of it.

I think the second game might still be cross gen, because Square has stated that they're still doing cross gen games for a good while even for upcoming titles after P55 launches. But part 3 likely would be PS5 only and they could finally use that SSD to make the open world and give us Highwind, if they want to go that route. I expect part two to be mostly zones like in the Remake. Probably more open zones for outside areas and a quick travel using vehicles and Chocobos. Maybe riding chocobos in the bigger zones. I could see Chocobo ranch being a part of Kalm this time.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
I honestly doubt next part wont be PS5. That interview extremely vague, basic PR stuff. If Part 1 that just came out is heavily optimized for a PS5 launch, how would Part 2 not be a native PS5 game?

In all honesty, I want PS5 to be the native console for the next games. It is such a jump compared to the PS4 Pro, Square can go wild.

SpacemanZero

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Yeah, I really hope so. It's a system seller for sure. That's why Sony probably didn't want FF7R release too close to PS5 launch, because that too is a system seller and they don't want a PS4 spike just before PS5 launch. I'm sure they have a really beefy deal with Square. And I'll bet FF7R PS5 enhanced is a major part of the PS5 backwards compatibility marketing plan and a "launch title".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom