I beat the original for the first time! Which next?

Which Compilation Entry To Experience Next?

• Crisis Core

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Advent Children Complete

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Dirge of Cerberus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Thamauturge (IMDb and Gamefaqs), Haeralis, Haeralis the Brave, Wiegraf, and JudgeMagisterDelita
Hi, I loved FFVII and it saddened me that it took me so long to finish it. I started playing last spring and was about done when my PSP shut off while saving, deleting every last bit of data on my memory stick (including FFVII save, my 100% completed FFT WOTL (favorite game ever) save (took me years to do this), my almost 100% Dissidia and everything else. Coincidentally, my PSP backup on my computer was also deleted thanks to my computer getting virus infected at the same time and being repaired.

So, I beat FFVII yesterday and was wondering what to do next. I was really thinking about just going in the order that they were released (as in, FFVII>FF ACC>DoC>CC). But I have easier access to CC then I do DoC and I don't know if I should just go ahead and play CC or not and THEN move on.

Also, please don't say something along the lines of "FFVII is the only good one, don't waste your time on the others" because I really want to finish the compilation since I consider it combined to be the entirety of VII's story.

Also, my favorite FFs in this order are:

FFT WOTL>FFXII>FFVII (A very small margin regarding the latter two). And I dislike X, XIII, III, and VI (VI is more overrated then VII EVER was IMO. VII also doesn't seem overrated at all, I see more hate for it then anything).

Oh and could a mod please edit out the typo in my poll question? I said "game" when Advent Children Complete is an option and it isn't a game at all.

Last edited:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Some of the additions to Advent Children Complete really have greater impact if you played Crisis Core, so I highly recommend that you play Crisis Core first. Then watch Advent Children Complete.

The only one you'll likely hear members say not to bother with is DC, but as you said you want to play all of it. I think you'd be best off playing it last. It's the last chronologically anyway.

Also, before you watch ACC you may want to read On the Way to a Smile. There are 7 stories that bridge the gap between VII and ACC. (Case of Barret, Case of Tifa, Denzel, Shinra, Nanaki, Yuffie, and Lifestream) The Cases of Nanaki and Yuffie aren't that great, but the collection leads into the movie pretty well.

Cases of Tifa, Shinra, Lifestream, Nanaki, and Yuffie can all be found our site here. Case of Barret and Denzel came in a book with the Limited Edition of AC, but you can probably find them online.

Also, we have recorded Case of Lifestream in audiobook format if you want ot check that out instead of reading it. Case of Tifa is being recorded and will be out soon.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
If you CC before DoC, DoC's gameplay might really dissapoint.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
FFVII is the only good one; don't waste your time on the others.

/obligatory

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
I wouldn't force myself through terrible games just for the sake of 'getting the complete story' :/

I know you don't want to hear it, but God damnit Alice its the truth.

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Thamauturge (IMDb and Gamefaqs), Haeralis, Haeralis the Brave, Wiegraf, and JudgeMagisterDelita
I hear some bad things about DoC but from what I have seen it seems like it can be okay, if not better (at least for me). The gameplay I have heard is extremely simplistic so that makes it more accessible to me since I am pretty opposed to most shooters that are not in the SW Battlefront Series. I also liked Vincent a lot in FFVII so I really want to learn more about him and Lucrecia (I don't even remember a cutscene with her in it in FFVII). The cutscenes intrigued me as did the concept of Deepground so honestly I think that I could be one of the few people who will enjoy the game.

Does anyone actually recommend watching Advent Children (the regular version) over the ACC version and if so why? It may take me a while to beat Crisis Core so the anticipation may drive me insane and thus not able to resist watching ACC before finishing CC...

I only really hear good things about CC and ACC (From what I played CC was amazing. It felt like a throwback to KH and its awesome gameplay and equally awesome storyline). I absolutely love seeing the FFVII environments in better quality (I hate graphics whores but the remastered environments in CC were too beautiful to not compliment).

I know you don't want to hear it, but God damnit Alice its the truth.

Who is Alice? I am Aliste Rosenheim from Final Fantasy Tactics The War of the Lions aka proof that you can improve on a classic.

I also am a big Ivalice Alliance fan (except for FFTA, that was terrible).

How is VI overrated? It was probably the most creative FF to date.

The character designs were horrible, the music was pretty forgettable (I thought it was at least), I didn't like any of my party members except for Shadow, Celes and Kefka (the latter of which was the only thing that made me keep playing). Also I hated Terra with a burning passion. Worst main series hero ever IMO. And of coarse they put her into Dissidia and not Celes who was better in every way.

Basically I played it and would rank it in lower mid tier when it comes to FF games and yet other people praise it endlessly and act like the FFVII fans are the bad ones.

Last edited:

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
That picture implies that you are disgruntled.

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Yeah honestly I really should have picked a better username. I always go with either Haeralis the Brave or Wiegraf when it comes to Tactics stuff. Aliste was too minor a character to be known well.

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Dirge of Cerberus is not going to kill you. Especially if you go in already knowing it's crap. In which case, you'll be fine. At this point you can probably get it for really cheap too. You can follow the compilation just fine without it, but what the hell. I say go for it. You've been warned.

Aliste said:
The character designs were horrible, the music was pretty forgettable (I thought it was at least),

Terra's Theme! One of my fav music pieces. I wish it were longer. The music in Zozo? Classic. Not all of it was great, but there were a few pieces that were fun.

Also I hated Terra with a burning passion. Worst main series hero ever IMO.

Don't let Drake hear you.

And of coarse they put her into Dissidia and not Locke who was better in every way.

Fixed that for you :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Crisis Core is not a terrible game Alex, come on now.

Does anyone actually recommend watching Advent Children (the regular version) over the ACC version and if so why?

No, Complete is better in just about every conceivable way.

I found myself not hating DC as everyone else seems to for the very reasons you stated - I'm not into shooters, so the simplistic gameplay came off very arcade-like to me. The fact that the double jump was added later is obvious as you can't jump over things you clearly should be able to and the pacing is off. But most reviews I saw put it in the 6 to 7 range, which is where I peg most games that will only be enjoyed by fans of the source material. It's not broken, it plays fine. Its just pretty underwhelming.
But its the most in depth view we've gotten of the world post-FFVII and walking through some of the expanded locales can be great fun. So if you take it for what it is you may enjoy it. I wouldn't pay too much for it, but you shouldn't have to at this point.

And while you have great taste for loving Tactics, you're way off about VI :monster:

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
I think that my problem with VI was that I went in expecting a mind blowing experience and got something which was pretty mediocre in comparison to the rest of the series IMO. Of coarse I also don't like X so call my opinion what you will.

And who said that Crisis Core was a terrible game? I read through the thread and didn't see anyone who said that really.

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Oh, I see. I thought he was referring more towards Dirge of Cerberus.

Wiegraf

White Knight
AKA
Is there any real way/motive to play Before Crisis or Lost Episode?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
There is neither. There's no way to play Before Crisis and it's pretty lousy even if you could.

You can read script translations here if you want though.

Lost Episode...I have no idea. It came out here, but having never been at all interested in the mobile game scene I never looked into it.

Cannon_Fodder

Pro Adventurer
About DoC, I spend a lot of my time playing shooters, and I still thought DoC was fun. Not deep or particularly good, but you really do feel powerful and it's oddly addicting to float around as Vincent and blow everything apart in high style. I don't think you have to be a shooter newbie to enjoy it.

Also,
Of coarse I also don't like X so call my opinion what you will.

:mal:

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Don't waste any money on DoC. Just watch the cutscenes on Youtube if you're that hung up on the story (even if it was one big non-event).

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The only thing I didn't like about ACC was Zack interrupting the whole damn movie and making it about himself. But the good outweighs that by a lot so don't bother with AC original.

Top Bottom