• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

I know What's Beneath the Snow Fields, a ridiculously long FF7 fic from 1999

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
This playlist rocks.
You can thank Angela for that lol. The first three songs were from the official Snow Fields website's music area, but everything else from there to the FF7 songs I added were her choices.

Also, here's Davoren from Celyne
For-Sharing-Davoren.jpg
She did a redraw of her old piece, so you can appreciate the difference 20 years makes
Davoren_by_Celyne04.jpg

She may do one more thing for the final book, but that'll be later.

For now, all that remains is the cover art, which may be done soonish as well.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Me, literally right now:

"Oh yeah, the web archive made a GIF search tool for their Geocities archive, that's where all the obnoxious GIFs in my signature are from! Let me go look and see if they have an Aeris GIF that matches the Vincent one I'm using on the links page of the book!"

*Scrolls down slightly*

aeristifa.gif

:(

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
More new art, this time from an old school Snow Fields fan called Kat.
Davoren by Kat.jpg
Kat's stuff is funny to me because the art of hers I was familiar with was this super prototypical early 2000's anime art, and her new stuff is incredibly far removed from that.
Davoren.jpg
Amazing.

Very grateful she was willing to play along with my nonsense, as always. She also wrote about her experiences with snow fields for Book 2, so look forward to that eventually (lookin like March now).

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
That's awesome. I've been meaning to collect their Ultimania work so far into a single thread because there's so much goodness.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Up to now all the art I've done for the book hasn't been my usual style. It's all been ink and paper or one fully digital piece, not my usual pencil/digital mix. I decided I owed this project a real art piece from me, so I've spent a while making one. It's a drawing of my favorite scene from the fic, where Aeris (the clone), after seeing Vincent mangled and broken from his long fight with a mutated beast version of Hojo (with a very unfortunate name), decides to overcome her fear face down the mad professor herself.

SNOW FIELDS smaller.png

Decided to load it with some symbolic imagery, their respective backgrounds representing what they mean to Vincent in the fic - Snow representing how Vincent buries his soul in pain and self hatred, unable to escape his past and seeing himself as a monster, and the bright sunny field representing his true self, as a kind and caring person and the potential for forgiveness and a future.

A bit worried Hojo's coloring sucks but I tend to be too critical of myself lol.

For fun, here's some earlier drafts of the concept:

1648696620113.png

^ I got as far as starting to color this one before giving up on it because Aeris' face looked stupid, the background was too busy, and for an image of Aeris facing down Hojo, Hojo sure isn't in it! (I tried adding him in the top left during the sketching phase but it looked bad, you can still see his eye).

1648697089898.png

^Didn't even finish the sketch here. It was supposed to have a tiny Aeris facing up with huge beast hojo, to kind of show how brave of an act it is for someone as meek as her. I decided the composition was weak and Hojo looked stupid and unexpressive (it's why he's more human in the final version), so I scrapped it.

Poor Vincent himself didn't make the final cut lol.

Torrie

astray ay-ay-ay
It's a drawing of my favorite scene from the fic, where Aeris (the clone), after seeing Vincent mangled and broken from his long fight with a mutated beast version of Hojo (with a very unfortunate name), decides to overcome her fear face down the mad professor herself.
That's some great quality movie/book poster! It's cool seeing the initial drafts and what they eventually led to. I'm totally digging the final cut. As for Vincent... He's probably the beholder as all the symbolism we can see is in his eyes.

Rhoey

Follow your heart.
AKA
Nikki
That's awesome! I will give it a listen, only scrolled through it so far. And of course there are songs by HIM on there. You know which HIM song reminds me of Snowfields? "Join Me", but listen to the Gregorian chants version. Gives me goosebumps and brings up tears every time, and Amelia Brightman's voice makes me think of Aeris. Give it a listen, it's an emotional experience ❤ The arrangement of the music almost gives me Advent Children vibes.

AngelaRose

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Kindred Arkain
Up to now all the art I've done for the book hasn't been my usual style. It's all been ink and paper or one fully digital piece, not my usual pencil/digital mix. I decided I owed this project a real art piece from me, so I've spent a while making one. It's a drawing of my favorite scene from the fic, where Aeris (the clone), after seeing Vincent mangled and broken from his long fight with a mutated beast version of Hojo (with a very unfortunate name), decides to overcome her fear face down the mad professor herself.

Decided to load it with some symbolic imagery, their respective backgrounds representing what they mean to Vincent in the fic - Snow representing how Vincent buries his soul in pain and self hatred, unable to escape his past and seeing himself as a monster, and the bright sunny field representing his true self, as a kind and caring person and the potential for forgiveness and a future.

A bit worried Hojo's coloring sucks but I tend to be too critical of myself lol.

For fun, here's some earlier drafts of the concept:

^ I got as far as starting to color this one before giving up on it because Aeris' face looked stupid, the background was too busy, and for an image of Aeris facing down Hojo, Hojo sure isn't in it! (I tried adding him in the top left during the sketching phase but it looked bad, you can still see his eye).

^Didn't even finish the sketch here. It was supposed to have a tiny Aeris facing up with huge beast hojo, to kind of show how brave of an act it is for someone as meek as her. I decided the composition was weak and Hojo looked stupid and unexpressive (it's why he's more human in the final version), so I scrapped it.

Poor Vincent himself didn't make the final cut lol.
ODY! These are awesome! I really like the one with Aeris standing down her fears. And I don't think her face looks stupid. And Holocaust Hojo looks sick af! Creepy for sure. Your final image is great. When you first showed me, I knew exactly what scene you were going for with Aeris' stoic expression and Hojo looking maniacal. The coloring contrast works so well and really gives you some insight into what the story is about. Very well done!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I don't think her face looks stupid.
It's strange. Even looking at the sketch now she looks okay, but when I tried coloring it it really seemed like her eyes were too far apart and her face was flat.
1648736030777.png
Could very well be another case of me being too hard on myself, but it just got more uncanny the longer I looked. Here I actually resized the right eye and repositioned the nose, but it wasn't doing it for me. Eh. Final composition is more interesting anyway, though I do miss that strong pose. I'll probably throw the sketch in as an extra anyway.

Holocaust Hojo
Yep, there's the name lol. Out of all the SF art I have collected, nobody ever tried drawing him (a handful have a normal human Hojo) so I felt like I should do it.

Top Bottom