If "Overlord" was an RPG

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Ains Owl Goawn (or however you spell his name). If you've never read the Manga or seen the Anime 'Overlord', I suggest you go do so!

Premise is this: Guy plays an MMO game he and his 'guild' dominated, but he ends up getting trapped inside the game as a force to be reckoned with.

It's become a fad to reincarnate characters in RPGs and give them super Gary Stu powers and the like. Re:Zero is a subversion of this idea (good plot but goes nowhere with it).

ANYWAY: With Overlord you have this incredible cast of 'monster NPCs' that players in the Guild created as 'floor guardian bosses' to watch over the massive coffers of treasure they amassed. When Ains gets trapped in this world, the NPCs take on lives and personalities of their own, based on parameters HE and his friends designed!

It got me to thinking: precisely how many 'sandbox' world-building RPGs exist out there? Minecraft is sorta one, Dragon Quest Builders, RPGMaker kinda is (but not in a fun sense), Disgaea 5 technically counts in a few areas, though world building is limited in that game.

It's one thing to go on quests and level up, but DESIGN your own Dungeon, set your own traps, monsters, AND Bosses... and have them swear loyalty to you as a God!?

Honestly I can't picture games that currently exist in such a format, with that 'level' of customization!

All I know is, I WANT such a world to exist!

I think the very concept of world building is epic, but it all depends on having the right set of 'building blocks' to make it happen. Assuming, that is, that people who would play such a game would not be that creative.

So what are your thoughts? Am I missing something? Is there better ideas out there? Do I gotta make such a game myself!?

Blade

That Man
AKA
Darkside-Ky/Mimeblade
Oh suuuure everyone has time to talk about FFVII and FFXV, but nobody cares about Anime RPG adaptations.

Top Bottom