If you had only two Materia

Vivi

Jump Rope Champion
AKA
Vivi, Setzer Gabbiani
Is having two Enemy Skill materias an option? Because I would want to use Big Guard and Trine all over the place at the same time.

Ashiel

Rookie Adventurer
4ll Commands

Since it's at a point where you're still in the Shinra headquarters for the first time and making your escape, I'd like to avoid being MP-reliant, since you're likely a low-ish level (unless you've been building); so I'd prefer the stamina and utility of Command Materia. Most likely, quadra-cut (x4 cut) and w-item, because that would make you quite unstoppable by anything in the Shinra HQ, as you should have acquired a hi-potion by this point. Quadra-cut turns even a weakling into a damaging machine, while W-Item allows you to both rapidly heal and clone items; allowing you to copy an Elixer which you should have acquired by this point.

Additionally, if we were to restrict it to base-level materia (ruling out stuff like Ultima which requires a level to even cast, or E. Skill which requires you to have encountered and survived your spells) then I would still go with double-cut/w-item for pretty much the same reasons.

W-item would also allow you a wide variety of useful tricks due to cloning items; such as being able to replicate your items such as deadly waste or ghost hands which you probably acquired before now (if not ghost hands due to lack of a Steal materia, then deadly waste falls off enemies in the #5 reactor); and the ability to drop Bio 2 on all enemies via an item is pretty nice.

In fact, you could probably comfortably take the entire game on using 1 character and x2 cut and w-item, if you make good use of combat-use items and the ability to replicate them using w-item.

Hm, as of writing this, I'm tempted to see if I can find some Gameshark goodies to nab some late-game materia and play with it in the early portions of the game. It'd be fun to make a command-based party who sports stuff like manipulate and w-item early on. :desu:

Ashiel

Rookie Adventurer
Two Enemy Away on master! lol
Heheh, nice. The only concern I'd have is what you'd do when you had to face a boss? I mean, the bosses aren't affected by Enemy-Away, because they're not random encounters. Would you really want to end up fighting the giant robo-guards on the elevator using nothing but physical attacks from Barret (the only one who can actually hit the robo-guards without magic/limits)?

With x2/x4 cut on Barret, it wouldn't be so bad (he'd be getting 2-4 attacks worth off at a time) W-Item would suffice as an adequate replacement for cure-type spells.

I tend to consider all possibilities (low MP, status ailments, bosses, etc), hence why I tried to keep it simple and versatile (stuff like enemy skill and/or magic higher than bolt mean you will run out of MP way to fast at this level and be crippled before getting out of the building). The enemy away idea is cool, but then I recall the bosses and realize that would be a problem. Maybe I'm just over thinking it. :nah:

Sylvie

フォースイー&#
AKA
Sylvie
Lightning attached to Elemental on a weapon. Would make it interesting for a character to have the advantage of having a weapon powered to cut down mech enemies.

Kai Schulen

... ... ...▼
AKA
Trainer Red
You know, someone should do a playthrough where each character can only have 2 materia equipped at a time. :monster:

As for my materia combos...Master Magic + W-Magic. Bye bye bye suckers!

Or maybe Master Summon and W-Summon.

My 3rd choice that doesn't involve master materia and w-magic/summon would have to be Enemy Skill (magic hammer to keep my MP up, assuming we can't use items) and Comet because summoning magic comets inside a building seems like a good way to utterly destroy a building. Although I suppose Ultima could do the job just as well, but there is a lot of irony in having Comets completely leveling the ShinRa building. xD

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
You know, someone should do a playthrough where each character can only have 2 materia equipped at a time. :monster:
Considering a No Materia game is already very easy, a Two Materia game really wouldn't be much of a challenge at all :) I guess it could be fun for somebody on their second or third playthrough who previously found the game too easy.

Lex

Administrator
Based on the FFVII race Flint and I just did, I'd have to say Deathblow + Added Cut on Tifa (with her powersoul, a mystile and a cursed ring equipped). Because then she's so overpowered it's scary (even at very low levels). Yet so much fun.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Maxed out Enemy Skill and Mastered Revive. Maybe other escapes will be quicker but I'd still be pretty much set for life with just that.

Sylvie

フォースイー&#
AKA
Sylvie
Based on the FFVII race Flint and I just did, I'd have to say Deathblow + Added Cut on Tifa (with her powersoul, a mystile and a cursed ring equipped). Because then she's so overpowered it's scary (even at very low levels). Yet so much fun.
I always do this combo. I also feed Tifa most of my initial Power Sources.

Warscythe

Destructicide
Nice one, Prince Lex. Me, I'd go with Master Magic and Master Summon, and if those don't count, Contain(I really like Contain), and 4X Cut.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
This answer is probably too belated to relavent to Licorice's fic and honestly I'm terrible at strategy. All the same, since it's an interesting question, I'd say Restore and Revive (if I have someone else with me). My thought is if you can stay alive, you can fight your way out. I guess I'm more defense minded.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Same, although I might switch the Revive out with an All. But in real life, the only materia I would ever want would be Restore.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
Bolt is an awesome materia, and i'm sure it would also have fun IRL uses, like jump starting an engine or making toast in the most dangerous way possible. Honestly, I just really want Reno's EMR. That thing is awesome. (My thought while escaping the Shinra building was I want an EMR and a Guard Hound).

Top Bottom