Indiana Jones

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Guys I have a question, why in the first film, looking into the ark would result in
sending beautiful angels turning into demons and melting like cheese complete with dragonball pyrotechnics erupting out of it?
It's been bugging me for sometime. What is in that thing that makes it so deadly???

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
It's never really explained... but I think it has to do with the whole "no man who sees the essence/face/power of God can live" thing. If you notice, Indy and his girl (forget her name) have their eyes closed. So they don't know what when down.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Hilarious results on Raiders of the Lost ark really, unlike the other parts of the series wherein they dont die gruesome, funny deaths like the first film. I wish the artifacts were as deadly as this ark. It's fascinated me that such a thing would give an unusual means of death. xD

Carlos

I care not
AKA
That brown guy
It would have made more sense had this been Raiders of the lost Pandora's Box. Considering Pandora's Box housed all the evils of the world and anyone could see that opening it would kill those around it. I guess they just decided to sort of combine the artifacts.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
I remember watching a deleted scene (that scene with the poison date is extended!) where an Egyptian guru dude tells Indie the legend, which is how he knew to close his eyes.

It's just magic. That's what makes those movies fun (amongst many many other things) That's why I never bothered with Indie 4.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
^^Magic and historical items people really have been looking for for centuries...

Come on, a crystal skull and aliens??? No, just no... or at the very least, come up with a different character that goes looking for it...

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It would have made more sense had this been Raiders of the lost Pandora's Box. Considering Pandora's Box housed all the evils of the world and anyone could see that opening it would kill those around it. I guess they just decided to sort of combine the artifacts.

In the Indiana Jones mythos, Christianity appears to be based in fact. The Ark doesn't kill people because it's evil. It kills them because it's supposed to be a connection to God, in whose direct presence, most people would wither instantaneously.

This idea probably stems from the historical Ark being kept in the Holy of Holies, where the presence of God was supposed to dwell. Like Obsidian mentioned, normal people aren't supposed to be able to look at God.

As for Pandora's Box, it's supposed to be empty anyway. :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yeah its basically supposed to be so ridiculously stupendous to the point where you're literally looking upon God in all his face-melting glory.

Christianity aside, that's a plot function I'm okay with :monster:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
As much as people diss Indie 4 for aliens, I kind of like the idea, its my guilty pleasure for the series and alot look down at me for liking it. I'm an alien fan, and I always wanna get to know or see something that is not of earth or in this 'dimension' lol.

Ahh... so this ark is like looking directly into god? now that's a scary thing, dead people only have access to the almighty yo.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Yeah, the alien thing didn't bother me, to be honest. I think the movie could have been done a little better in other respects, but that has nothing to do with the aliens or the skull business.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I stopped watching the movie when Indie survived a nuclear explosion by jumping in a refrigerator. :monster:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
To be honest, this is a series where people have survived jumps from falling aeroplanes onto whitewater rapids using nothing but an inflatable raft, stopped tank cannons by jamming loose rocks into the end of the barrel, and made motorcycles do front-flips by sticking an umbrella into the wheel spokes.

Nuking the fridge may have been an absurd raise in the suspension of disbelief, but it wasn't as large as people were implying it to be. :monster:

Also,

da2b92c9-ed77-4b8f-a25c-8035566a5da6.gif

<3

Carlos

I care not
AKA
That brown guy
Yeah its basically supposed to be so ridiculously stupendous to the point where you're literally looking upon God in all his face-melting glory.

Christianity aside, that's a plot function I'm okay with :monster:
Lets just all agree that God is Johnny Depp. That would be an accurate explanation as to why our faces would melt off our bones.

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
yeah that dude is hideous

Ghost X

I actually had no issue with the fridge nuking, probably one of the best parts of the film. Also, at the gif that Satsu posted, I think I see Indie looking at the camera a couple of times, especially in the last few frames. His sad face is awesome though =p.

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
His face at the end gets me every time
It's unreasonably funny to me

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
The nuking the fridge thing is honestly one of the more believable unbelievable stunts Indy's pulled off. It pales in comparison to his apparent Aquaman powers he had in the first film.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
I like the religious crossover in Temple of Doom: "Prepare to meet Kali...in Hell!!!"

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Indiana Jones is a typical George Lucas franchise in that the amount of torrid garbage now vastly outweighs the amount of good pieces (that's two films, fyi).

Unless somebody seriously wants to make a case for Young Indiana Jones not being terrible.

Top Bottom