Kotaku Article/Video on Translations

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
Amazing, I had obviously never played the game in Japanese and I'm so surprised as to how much more fleshed out the characters are through their dialogue alone. I struggled to gauge their characters while playing the game and I thought it was just because the graphics were limited and we only had the text to work with. Turns out the original text was fairly revealing as it was. I am loving this series and Tim's sardonic delivery is the cherry on top.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I love this so much. I hope the remake captures Aerith's characterisation without her turning into Vanille. They talk about how much more impactful her death would be if they captured the nuances of her character.

Rookie Adventurer
I got a new one!

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-viis-excellent-pizza-joke-did-not-transla-1819070073

And youtube!

I am starting to get sort of a critical mass of "You didn't cover this part!" messages and comments . . . oh no . . . I wish I could just play the game super-slowly and translate like every line! Though I guess I have, uh, day-jobby stuff to do over here at Kotaku as well lol

We do wanna do another stream, though! So maybe we will! Heck, I hope we do.

Fangu

Great Old One
Yass! DO EET!

PS, is your old Twitch account still around? And/ or did you save the vods to a different site? I'd love to check them out.

Pixel

The Pixie King
I got a new one!

https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-viis-excellent-pizza-joke-did-not-transla-1819070073

And youtube!

I am starting to get sort of a critical mass of "You didn't cover this part!" messages and comments . . . oh no . . . I wish I could just play the game super-slowly and translate like every line! Though I guess I have, uh, day-jobby stuff to do over here at Kotaku as well lol

We do wanna do another stream, though! So maybe we will! Heck, I hope we do.

You should try to do a stream with Alexander O Smith. It would be really interesting hearing the perspective of a localiser.

I need to record more footage. Havent had any time at all the last couple of weeks, and Ive been trying to get a video done for our own channel lol. Stupid work getting in the way of real life stuff.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
SPINAL GRANTASY VII

This episode was fucking amazing. I can't get enough of your analysis – especially when it involves our original cow farming, pizza-not-having translator. Also, I updated your post with the embedded version, and speaking of which, here's the stream from earlier: (which is being a jerk on the embed, but you can definitely click to watch it on the YouTubes).

X :neo:

Rookie Adventurer
Yass! DO EET!

PS, is your old Twitch account still around? And/ or did you save the vods to a different site? I'd love to check them out.

Ah, yeah, my old twitch is at twitch.tv/actionbutton (I plan to use it again at *some* point in the near-ish future; I just got a lot of Life Stuff going on lately, unfortunately), and I have a bunch of Persona 5 vods on my YouTube -- youtube.com/108x

Those Persona 5 vods are massive lol . . . uhh, I was playing the game for the first time, so I stumble around a lot, though I've got the Japanese voices and the English subtitles on and I mention a bunch of grammar / vocabulary stuff.

Those streams, interestingly enough, came up in my job interviews when I applied to Kotaku!!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Thoroughly enjoyable once again :) Very interesting clarifications, and the jokes are good too (I especially liked the one on playing the motorcycle chase at 3x speed :P)

And it's always funny how the Orthopedic underwear thing could be so wrong and yet so nearly applicable anyway, rather amazing.

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
Oh my God so many great, side-splitting moments in this video, Tim!!! Spinal Pantasy, Pizza Hat, Gratuitous Motorcycle Shot, Things Incredible in 1997. One of your best episodes yet, though they're all pretty heavy contenders. Thanks so much. I'd like and unlike that FB post 500 times if I could singlehandedly bring that number up for another episode.

Rookie Adventurer
yeahhHHHHH i was just about to come here and say "WHOA HEY i posted a new one!" it looks like you already took care of that, though.

WHAT IF i told you there's ANOTHER new one . . . going up later today, or tomorrow? yeah, i made two at once. i have two more scripted -- i just need to record them and edit them together.

yeahhHHH

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
This sounds like excellent potential news for everyone here! I can't wait to see whether or not that's a thing that you did, and enjoy the content that you might've done! :D

X :neo:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That one was pretty hilarious.

Especially the bit about people apparently only able to describe Sephiroth by an inaccurate word for his clothes. When I was younger, I think I just figured everyone was actually seeing one of those "uhh, ahhh" clones that are actually in black cloaks. Hence why he ignored the man on the road to Corel and stuff. But given that he also killed a couple soldiers in Junon, I dunno that that's actually supposed to be the case.

Also, having seen no shortage of anime/video games that use the "god of death" moniker, I really like the "walkin' death sentence" localization. It's a lot less melodramatic and sounds more like something an English speaker could conceivably say...in a dystopian pseudo-fantasy world, I guess.

And I ALWAYS figured the "Techno-freak" was just referring to the fact that Barret was in favor of a Mako reactor over the old fashioned coal mine! Hot damn, that is the second time in this series that the translator got something COMPLETELY wrong but it managed to kinda fit anyway. Amazing.

Last edited:

Alex Strife

Ex-SOLDIER
I always figured Sephiroth was travelling with a cloak to hide his signature hair (anyone would recognise him, yeah?) and possibly his sword.

I mean, it made the most sense to early teen me. :lol:

Top Bottom