Legendary Pictures' Godzilla

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Is anyone else having a hard time picturing Kong as a credible threat to Godzilla? I know he was young and not at his full size/strength in Skull Island but c'mon, he got sliced up by heli rotors and badly burned by simple napalm. It seems to be implied that Packard's bomb would actually kill him. By contrast Godzilla took Castle Bravo on the chin and walked away from it. It sounds like a round one knockout from here.

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Exciting trailer, but ugh shoehorning teenagers just because when realistically they would be all NOPE feels so artificial.

I care more about Godzilla's feelings than the braindead artificial human drama. Heck, he might be even more human than them.

Ghost X

I dunno what super powers Kong has, but I suspect he'd be too slow in the ocean water to evade Godzilla's mouth laser beam :P. Also at the end of that trailer, Kong has that axe thing, and Godzilla is a shit aim or something, by firing it at the axe and not Kong? Otherwise, looks impressive, as much as a crispy CGI film can look impressive anyway.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Exciting trailer, but ugh shoehorning teenagers just because when realistically they would be all NOPE feels so artificial.

Sorry, but I have to overwhelmingly disagree with you on this one – A van of Godzilla enthusiasts driving around trying to figure out why Godzilla is acting uncharacteristically is literally exactly what you get from the father-daughter team of Yuji Shinoda & Io Shinoda in the first film of the Millennium series, Godzilla: 2000 and is basically just the evolution of the trope of what you see from the pack of scrappy Godzilla supporters in basically... every film where Godzilla is a hero ever.

For the trailer: I appreciate that they gave Kong an axe made of a Godzilla dorsal plate as a way to shield himself while still using a primitive weapon. Also, they've got some very careful wording going on there. Godzilla & Kong are the only remaining survivors of an ancient war – Yes... but it's almost certainly not going to have been a war where they were on opposing sides.

Kong has a ward that he's protecting, and Godzilla is being antagonized by a different external force. Essentially it's only Godzilla vs. Kong because they're being pitted against one another but it's a brilliant way to frame it and get people hyped on the idea that Kong & Godzilla are viable as rivals to help establish Kong. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and make the easy call that it's the same group that obtained Ghidorah's decapitated head in King of the Monsters. That reinforces the idea that the war was one between Earth's kaiju and extraterrestrial ones – hence why the ones that we see Ancient Kong fighting with the axe are a bunch of cobra-like serpents that are just swimming unnaturally through the air.

Now, the additional detail here is that Kong is really good at punishing humans because it's easier to see him as a human analogy. So if Godzilla can do something that prevents Kong's ward from being injured (even indirectly since he's acted as a protector in the films so far), Kong will be able to follow-up in helping to direct them both towards the real threat. That means that whatever this group is doing wants Kong & Godzilla to take each other out, so that their weapon can come into play and leave them uncontested.

Whether we're getting something like the Garuda as a more conventional Mechagodzilla-adjacent weapon, some form of Mechagodzilla, or MechaKingGhidorah is hard to say, but post-King of the Monsters is very much where establishing the threats to the Kaiju as artificial and/or extraterrestrial is par for the course, and also means that you're opening up possibilities for REALLY interesting Toho Kaiju adversaries as threats, like Gigan, Biollante, Orga, Space Godzilla, Monster X (AKA Keizer Ghidorah).

Personally, I want to see someone being allowed to just take a hard left turn after this for even just one film. Like... let someone remake Son of Godzilla – just the equivalent of a slice-of-life Godzilla film with a couple smaller scale kaiju fights before you keep growing all of the crazy danger scenarios.
:awesomonster:

X :neo:

Top Bottom