LicoriceAllsorts's Fanfiction

Kassi

Pro Adventurer
AKA
tardis60, dephinia
Death is Part of the Process -- a magum opus encompassing 'Before Crisis' and 'Crisis Core' from the point of view of the Turks. Cameos from the entire VII cast. More addictive than Slurm -- guaranteed!

Chaffeur -- a beautiful non-ship fic of a limo ride where Rude drives Yuffie. Amazing characterizations, a brief one-off any fan of either character will love.

The Photograph -- compelling fic about a photograph in Tseng's desk, discovered by Reno.

Bad for You -- Tseng/Rufus one-off for the infamous 'kiss battle.' Yes, it's what it sounds like. Kissing is sexy, yo.

The Boss -- how Tseng got his nickname.

Tseng's backstory -- beautiful early musing on Tseng for fans of 'Death is Part of the Process.'

Fifty Flavours of Turkish Delight -- born on TLS, a satire of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' so far above the original that you might get dizzy.

Cloud, Evaporating -- a lovely poem on our favorite spiky hero.

If William Shakespeare had written Advent Children -- does exactly what it says on the tin. Shakes & AC nuts, what are you waiting for? Click!

If you know of additional LicoriceAllsorts goodness out there, please post below or let me know and I will amend this post!

Also, Lic (or one of her many fans): post here when 'Death is Part of the Process' is updated, or any other fic you write!

Otherwise we will fine you peppermints. <3

Lex

Administrator
It's a crime that I haven't even started reading any of these Lic. I stopped reading VII fanfiction years ago for reasons I can't quite remember, so I'm going to read through yours when I have time. Right now my head is stuck so far into mShenko it's hard to breathe without finding another fic, and my greedy shipper heart is not yet ready to let go.

I think I'll start with "Chauffeur" since I like the idea of an exchange between Rude and Yuffie. There's so little of it elsewhere.

Fangu

Great Old One
Kay I'm just gonna comment on my faves...

Death is Part of the Process -- a magum opus encompassing 'Before Crisis' and 'Crisis Core' from the point of view of the Turks. Cameos from the entire VII cast. More addictive than Slurm -- guaranteed!
To put it plainly, this story got me into reading, and I swear, I do not read a lot. The last book I read (fiction, that is) before starting to read this story in 2011 was "The Kite Runner" back in 2008. I find reading dull, time consuming and I lose my patience, but when I read this story, not only did it have me reading stuff again, it also made me want to write. It's now sixty and then some chapters, but I hope we have a llloong way to go, because the characters and their story is so rich and alive.

Bad for You -- Tseng/Rufus one-off for the infamous 'kiss battle.' Yes, it's what it sounds like. Kissing is sexy, yo.
This is if not THE best VII fic I have ever read. It just... does something that I can't describe; not only is it well written, but it pains such a dark and dirty, rich picture that for me takes the Turk universe to new levels. DIPOTP is dark, but this takes it to a new level - I would love more standalones in this style, because it absolutely captures me every time - and I have read this story many times.

The Boss -- how Tseng got his nickname.
Also a part of "Death is Part of the Process", this is a lovely little backstory in the DIPOTP universe.

Tseng's backstory -- beautiful early musing on Tseng for fans of 'Death is Part of the Process.'
Simply a wonderful read.

Fifty Flavours of Turkish Delight -- born on TLS, a satire of 'Fifty Shades of Grey' so far above the original that you might get dizzy.
Just a brilliant parody of said book. It's made me laugh out loud several times!

tl;dr, this chick can write and it's definitely worth a read :monster:

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I love LicoriceAllsorts, she is probably one of my favoriate writers. The first work of hers I read was Death Is Part of the Process. I found her on Redcherryamber's list of favoriate authors, and as I loved Cherry's fics (Seriously, read Somewhere in Midgar Two Children, just read it) I assumed any fic she liked I'd like as well. I came to the story as more of a Rufus Shinra fan than a Turk fan, I think this was the first general Turk story I'd ever read but I became completely hooked. With such a large cast of characters it's a wonder that she can keep them all individual and interesting.

Aviva (Knives female) would have to be my favoriate character. I can relate to her in more ways than I'd care to count (well not the
falling in love part, I'm too guarded for that
), the hints of her background and how it makes her see the world and the fact she wants to be grown up and serious, despite being sweet in so many ways. I just want to hug her, I love this character so much.

Also, as a fan of romance, I have to say I adore the way Licorice writes pairings and love. It feels real. A lot of love stories are just that, a story, not actual love. Most love stories are "love flavored" and just as strawberry flavor doesn't taste like real strawberries, we know that love flavored isn't supposed to be like real love, but her stories are like expecting candy but getting fresh fruit, not "love flavored" but organic love. (And yes, this is probably a terrible metaphor).

I also feel like I should praise Licorice herself, because she is wonderful. The first time I interacted with her it was by finally leaving a review for Death Is Part of the Process, and it wasn't an all together positive review. After reading 29 chapters in, I finally took the time to say something and it was to critique because I was very biased both in favor of Rufus and against the idea that all parents are caring (I thought Veld's line about parents wanting their children to be happy was idealistic BS spoken by a truly loving parent who thought it was true because it was true for them). So I argued pretty fiercely against showing the President as a concerned parent when Rufus was at Corel. (I've since come to really appreciate her characterization of both the President and Rufus).

Not only did she take the time to respond to me, but she even reviewed a fic I wrote in response. Honestly, I'm so very flattered and honored that she takes what I say into consideration. Compared to her, I really feel like I'm just a kid who really shouldn't say anything because she knows a lot more than I do, but she is always so respectful and appreciative of feedback and other people's ideas, even when they don't agree. I really respect and admire that.

Anyway, are we going to post fanart for her works in this thread? Does someone want to start?

Fangu

Great Old One
My only concern is it might be in the wrong forum. Creativity is for sharing your own works right? We're fanning over another person's works, so shouldn't it be in fanclubs. I'm not sure how that works.
Ryu was a darling and moved this thread to Clubs :) If we want to emphasize that this is a fanclub, we can ask someone to put in something extra in the title, or of course Kassi can change it too. Thoughts?

Fanart - I haven't made any that portraits a direct scene frim Dipdot (haha!) but most, no - all of my Tseng ones are based off of Lic's Tseng. I just don't want to be first... self conscious. Looking at them now, ten months after I did most of them, I think they're bad.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
They're fine, and well...I don't want to go first either...but oh well fine then, but you should go next! *hugs* I believe in you!

From Chapter 63

Reeve froze. His eyes strained to see who had spoken. The room was dim, but not completely dark: a dull mako glow filtered through the tinted windows, and he was able to make out a figure with broad shoulders and curly hair, sitting in his own custom-made ergonomic chair at his own untidy desk, which was scattered with various highly sensitive papers that he'd been pouring over when the factory exploded. Terrorist? Turk? Was Reeve's name on their list too? His mind leapt to the panic button on the wall, eight feet away &#8211;

"You are in no danger," said the intruder. "I only want to talk to you. But please, don't move."

A young man, by the sound of it. His voice wasn't that of any Turk Reeve knew, and yet he could have sworn he'd heard it somewhere before. "Who are you?" he demanded, "and how did you get in here?"

The intruder didn't answer straight away. By now Reeve's eyes had grown accustomed to the light: he could see that the youth had thick, dark hair, and was wearing what appeared to be garage mechanic's overalls. The upper part of his face was hidden behind a pair of sunglasses; the lower half, cheeks and chin, looked clean-shaven, or maybe too young to need to shave. The youth's mouth was thin-lipped but shapely, quirked at the corners in a presumptuous smile that was maddeningly familiar. Reeve was positive he knew him. But from where? More angry now than frightened, he took a step forward -

"I don't think you can see," said his visitor, "But I'm holding a gun."

holdingguncopy.jpg

Reeve felt his knees turn to water.

The young man said, "Tseng taught me never to point my gun at anything I don't want dead. My gun isn't pointed at you right now, Reeve, because I don't want to kill you. Far from it; that would defeat my whole purpose. My gun is merely here to convince you that you need to move very slowly and think very carefully. I have a proposition for you, and if you take the time to think it over, I'm sure you'll be interested in my offer. Why don't you sit down?"

Reeve doubted he'd be able to walk as far as the nearest chair without his legs giving way under him. "Who are you?" he said. "Why do I feel as if I know you?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot."

Almostforgotcopy.jpg

The intruder took off his sunglasses; in the half-light Reeve could see only that his eyes were bright and of some pale colour. Then the intruder put his hand to his head and pulled his scalp off. Reeve recoiled in shock, before realizing that of course the dark hair was a wig. Underneath it, the intruder's real hair was fair, thick, fine, and raggedly cut.

revealcopy.jpg

One long strand had fallen into his eyes. He flipped it back from his brow, a gesture that instantly defined him, while Reeve stared and stared as if he was looking at a ghost &#8211; which, in a way, he was.

Definedcopy.jpg

I've included the text of that scene to sort of show the exact inspiration. The moment I read it I wanted to cosplay that. It just so happened I've had a curly black wig sitting on the floor of my closet for years, so it seemed perfect. Designing Reeve's desk was a lot of fun, my friend even drew up a blue print for Cait Sith. For a full view, check out DA my SN is CameoAmalthea and my club is Shin-raEPC.

Bobbie

aka AlysanneLake
Joy.

I've nothing to offer but my unabashed awe. Feeling a bit like Bliss when she first discovered roller derby--completely psyched and a bit intimidated. Lic, I may do little more than lurk, but I'm glad you directed me to TLS.

Bobbie

aka AlysanneLake
DiPotP

Cam, I have to agree with you regarding Aviva. She's probably my favorite character, too. If the Turks had a mascot, at least in the 'verse that Lic has spun, it'd be Veev.

Has anyone else gone so far as to play around with DiPotP's characterizations? Just for fun, I've been honing my writing skills writing little fillers here and there, and some "what-ifs".

Then again, maybe I'm just a bit too into that story.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
That talk about mascots makes me want to get a knit Aviva doll to go with my Rufus, Tseng and Elena dolls. (Licorice and I have a mutual friend who makes these really cute little dolls. She gave me a Rufus doll as a gift, then I bought a Tseng and Elena doll to go with it).

I haven't written with those characters, although I'm sure her interpretations influence my own interpretations. But I did steal Natalya, because I want her to just exist as a fanon Turk. And some her ideas I've incorporated into my work. Like we once had a conversation about parenthood and President Shinra. She had a more sympathetic view than me. I later took what she'd said and used it as dialogue in a fic, giving the words to Veld. I've also incorporated some of the comments she's made as my beta into the text of my fics, and not just where suggested.

I think when people say or write something insightful I have a tendency to want to adapt it and us it. I hope that others would be equally willing to take my ideas. (I tickled pink when Licorice used something I'd said to her as dialogue for Rufus).

But as for actual fanfiction. Well...I'm always a bit hesitant to do that because I wouldn't want to offend the author. Personally, I love fanfic based on my works and have actively encouraged readers of one of my fics to write fanfic based on it, just to see what they'd do.

That said, I feel like I couldn't do justice to her characters and wouldn't want to upset her. That said, I'm tempted to write about Rufus and the kitten, mostly based on my own experiences with my kitten. And because Rufus and a kitten would be cute to write about.

You know, the Cat would also make a good mascot for the fic. I think it's like the best OC ever.

Also, does anyone else have fan art to share, please don't let me be the only one?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I haven't read it yet but just wanted to say yes Aviva is awesome. Also YAAAAAYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeEEEeee update! :joy:

Fangu

Great Old One
I searched for this thread and sorta laughed as I read through it, because I noticed Lic herself hasn't made a single comment or left a trace in any other way - does she even knows it exists? :lol:

Anyway I was gonna ask how many chapters you think DIPOTP is going to be Lic, because I want to keep reading from where I left off (~60) but I'd like to have at least 20 chapters or so before I start up again, because your story is so detailed and exciting and my memory so bad it is better to read it in chunks. Had I a normal working brain it would be easier for me but my RAM is truly bad, it is not a lie. I know how you probably live for one chapter at a time and would prefer if your readers read one chapter at a time and reviewed (and a lot of them do!) but I won't be able to be one of them. I think I commented on every 5th or so back then? See I cant even remember that.

I'll PM you if you don't reply to this, don't worry :wacky:

See, Fangu, the only reason why I'm not a global celebrity is that I'm very shy and retiring and recoil from anything that seems like self-promotion. I actually really admire people who are good at self-promotion; I suck so bad at selling that I can't even sell myself. (That sounded different in my head). So I just feel really awkward posting in a thread that's about something I made.

I am trying to finish DIPOTP before I post any more of it; all the characters are rushing around doing different things and it's really hard to keep track of them, and I feel that if I post a chapter I'll only have to go back and change it. Getting all the Turks out of Midgar in order to meet up with Elfe/fight Zirconiade has proven to be a huge challenge. In the game the script-writers just did a hand wave - "Okay, here we are in Midgar's garbage dump" - "Okay, here we are at the rendezvous point in the badlands" with no explanation as to how exactly Tseng, Reno,Veld and Rude got from point A to point B when they had no transport and security was on high alert.

I hoped to get DIPOTP finished over the summer but ended up dragging my feet, and now I'm back at work - and also, I got sucked into a new fandom which keeps trying to colonise my imagination (Attack on Titan in case anyone's interested.)

Fangu

Great Old One
...it appears I kinda stepped into something with my comment here (ohi Morello, haven't seen you in forever) so I'm just gonna keep watching the updates in my mailbox. Thanks for the reply, and no pressure. I just want to see how the story ends.

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
See, Fangu, the only reason why I'm not a global celebrity is that I'm very shy and retiring and recoil from anything that seems like self-promotion. I actually really admire people who are good at self-promotion; I suck so bad at selling that I can't even sell myself. (That sounded different in my head). So I just feel really awkward posting in a thread that's about something I made.

On one level I understand where you're coming from. I hate writing resumes and cover letters because it doesn't seem honest to sell myself. The only time I can sell myself is if I'm offering to help someone because then I like to provide evidence as to why I'm helpful (maybe I should think of job applications this way, pretend the employers really need my help as opposed to worrying I'd be a huge clueless burden to whatever company hired me).

On the other hand, I'm absolutely in love with your creation. I love the story and your characters and I'd love to hear you go on and on about it because I just love it and it's so amazing to actually get to interact with the creator of something I consider my fandom (Yes, I actually consider myself in the DIPOTP fandom, a sub genre of the BC fandom, and it counts as a fandom because I've cosplayed it, lol).

I don't want to push you outside of your comfort zone, and as I have a habit of pushing people even when I don't mean to I'm hesitant to ask or mention it, but I'd really love it if there were a tumblr blog for DIPOTP.

Not for you to self promote, but as a place, like this thread, where we can share fanworks based on your fic. Because seriously, I totally want all the DIPOTP readers to see my works and comment so I can connect with other people in this fandom. (I seriously think fandoms for fanworks should be a thing. We get to talk and make fan art for other things, why not fanfic?) I'd also like to encourage other artists to make words based on DIPOTP, because I really like it.

I'd also like you to share your sketches and deleted scenes from the fic, it's like DVD extras.

Of course, you can say no to me. (In real life, I've had trouble with people not seeming to realize they can say no to me, you can, it's fine, hardly anything bothers me except upsetting others). Your comfort level is your own, but I'd like this to exist. The reason I'd like you to make the blog, rather than me making a fan blog is because I feel like any asks would be directed to you, but then I could always direct people to your personal blog and reblog your answers. Or would that bother you?

I just really like the interactivity in fandom works. That we can have discussions with the author of a work about the work.

Anyway, at some point I'm going to do something DIPOTP related again. Although for now getting people together to cosplay might be tricky because some of my friends are going through some personal stuff, but at some point.

Yesterday a couple of my sharp-eyed students noticed that I have an Anime North folder on my laptop (we have a smartboard so I'm always projecting from my laptop, opening files and things). This is a group of girls who are in big into anime and cosplay and so on. They got very excited and asked me if I went to Anime North and I, like a fool, replied, "Yes, I got to go for free because I ran the fanfiction contest."

Them: "Ms Allsorts writes fan fiction! Do you write Black Butler fic? Do you write Shingeki no Kyojin fic? Miss, miss, do you write shipping fic?"

I'm mentally facepalming.

Them: "Are you on fan fiction dot net? What's your username?"

Me: "You'll never find me."

Them: "Do you want to see the cosplays we went to Fan Expo in?"

Me: "Go on then, I love cosplays..."

Edit: That story didn't really answer any of your questions, did it? To tell the truth I need people to push me out of my comfort zone, so don't worry about that. It's more that I feel it would seem so big-headed to make a blog about my own fic. But maybe I will. I can't really see it attracting a lot of followers, but then, that's not really the point, is it? It would be a fun thing to do.

Last edited:

CameoAmalthea

Pro Adventurer
I can&#8217;t tell you how great it is for your students to know that there are professional adults who like the same things they do. Because nerdy behavior is still fringe, no matter how &#8220;cool&#8221; being a geek is getting, it can be very hard to be into stuff like fanfic and cosplay because it&#8217;s &#8220;abnormal.&#8221; If you&#8217;re a child into it, it&#8217;s not ok because it&#8217;s a &#8220;waste of time&#8221; &#8220;weird&#8221;, if you&#8217;re a young adult into it, it&#8217;s not ok because it&#8217;s &#8220;a waste of time&#8221; &#8220;weird&#8221; and &#8220;childish&#8221;. I can&#8217;t tell you the amount of times people with parents have complained about how opposed their parents are to fan activities.

The truth is, fan activities can be great for networking and learning important skills including promotion and marketing, teamwork, leadership, hard work, diligence and creativity. I would never seen myself as the &#8220;management type&#8221; if it hadn&#8217;t been for cosplay, organizing cosplay projects has taught me that I love stepping up and making things happen while working with people.

I think it&#8217;s good for young cosplayers and fan artists to know there are adults who see what they love as a legitimate artistic pursuit and worthwhile. That&#8217;s it&#8217;s something adults like too and not a silly childish thing they should grown out of quickly (or should have grown out of all ready).

I still maintain that assigning fanfics about literature instead of essays once in awhile is a worthwhile teaching tool.

Also, yay, I have leave to push you out of your comfort zone. I made a fan club dedicated to one of my AU fics on DA, not because I&#8217;m big headed but because I appreciated people doing fanfic for me and wanted to archive it and I wanted to make it known I was fine with people playing in my world. I even held a fanfic contest where I asked people to fill in a back-story for one of the characters that I had described but not put in scene. I wanted to see how fans pictured that backstory and I loved seeing what I got.

Again, I love the level of inactivity between creator and fans, it&#8217;s like we can all be fans of something. I love what I wrote, you love it too, and that&#8217;s flattering, and I love you&#8217;ve created for it! It&#8217;s beautiful.

Also, if you create this blog, you&#8217;ll be posting my stuff and the work of other fans rather than your own work, aside from DVD extras, but you&#8217;re doing that for your fans, not for yourself. So if anything, the blog would be a blog for your fans. I think the idea of an creator making a fan blog for their fans, rather than fans making a fan blog for the creator is a pretty neat inversion.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Amen to everything Cameo said.

Hmm I'm wondering if it's possible for TLS to feature it under the 'Fan Work' section in the front page. I know we have a Creativity section but it's closed to non-members (and I think it's a great way to attract new members too), besides, some may not be aware about the threads esp if they get buried. Any work from the forum members that have garnered significant attention from the fandom can be featured as well. There are many known fanfic authors here, IIRC.

Fangu

Great Old One
Sorry I have to rant. :wacky:
It's more that I feel it would seem so big-headed to make a blog about my own fic.
But is it, really? Big-headed? Every time we promote our own work, is it really because of our egos demand the attention?

I thought about this a lot after the last time I posted in this thread. About the whole shyness thing, and about the need to stand up and go "everyone, look at what I did!" This is also because I've been promoting my stuff on Tumblr lately, and I'm not shy to post links in common chats or links on TLS.

I'm not gonna go as far as saying that "being shy" is seen as a virtue in females (except that it is), and I don't really want to make this another "men is better at some stuff than women" thing. But. I do think women are taught that any type of promotion of oneself is a negative trait, and it feels more awkward for girls to simply say "look, I did this thing, I am proud of it, you should take a look at it". As I said I don't really want to turn this into another debate of sexes, and I know I repeat myself to death re: the whole spending a lot of time with men, but the fact is I honestly believe men are better at self promotion, and not because they're selfish, but because they're clever. Over the past six years I've worked with men mostly, gone to college with them, done all my team work with them, even hung out mostly with guys in my spare time. It is from them I have picked up to be straight forward and honest with my wants and wishes, like when writing a resume and a job application. Women tend to say things like "I think I am good at... because that's the feedback I've had" in an application, while men go "I know I do this well, feedback also supports this statement". People say men have more confidence than women, but it's not really about confidence, it's about realizing that without self promotion and believing in your skill - why should anybody else? It's a technique to success, not a selfish want.

(I know you're to be a lawyer, Cam; another male heavy 'industry'. I have a feeling this might sound familiar to you?)

I did an "ask me" to one of my favourite FF fic writers, which you are bound to have come across if you've been into the XII fandom, pendency/intradependency, a couple of weeks ago. The question was originally about if having social skills is a good or a bad thing for a writer, but turned into a back and forth about other things as well, such as Tumblr tags, and also about "the cliché of a writer". She said something that stuck with me:

The stereotype of the artiste who induces depression to provoke creativity (self-ostracises, insults people, eats bad food, isolates themselves, smokes, loses their partner due to bad behaviour and/or putting work ahead of everything else, substance abuse,) is really out of date in a day and age where consistently published writers are those who know how to use their social networks to form connections which will actually make them money.
I don't know much about the publishing business, but I'm fairly sure she does, and I think when you look at how the Internet have changed things for us, she has a point. It's about saying "this is good. This should be published." instead of sitting around waiting for someone to see your work and go "glory hallelujah!" because so many people have access to a computer and an email address today. Anyone can write a manuscript.

Now, as a simple fanfic writer, why do you want to market your stuff? Everyone keeps saying "write because you enjoy writing, and not because you want other people to read it", which I believe is true. Your key motivation should be the craftsmanship itself, not the attention you get, like an athlete who focuses on the task, not the goal. I wrote a long rant about it on Tumblr. So if not for the attention, why do you want as many people as possible to look at your creations?

I think Cam explains quite well the motivation for having other people read your stuff:

I made a fan club dedicated to one of my AU fics on DA, not because I’m big headed but because I appreciated people doing fanfic for me and wanted to archive it and I wanted to make it known I was fine with people playing in my world. I even held a fanfic contest where I asked people to fill in a back-story for one of the characters that I had described but not put in scene. I wanted to see how fans pictured that backstory and I loved seeing what I got.

Again, I love the level of inactivity between creator and fans, it’s like we can all be fans of something. I love what I wrote, you love it too, and that’s flattering, and I love you’ve created for it! It’s beautiful.
It's about the love for stores, for the characters. When I write something, I explore the characters. The discussion it sparks - THAT'S the true prize. I want people to read my stuff because I love debating the content. But to have people read my stuff, I need to market it, which also includes an amount of shameless self promotion. When I post something on TLS or Tumblr, maybe 30% will click the link. Another 50% might look at the summary, and of those, another 40% will skim it - most of those will find the story uninteresting and leave, for several reasons ("I'll read it later", "it looks dull and/or poorly written", "it doesn't contain the kind of smut I like"), so I might be down to 30% of the skimmers actually reading the story. Which means a percentage of 1.8% that actually ends up reading the thing. For those 1.8% to be about 3-4 people, I need to show the link to a lot of people! It's a question of math, really.

My stuff has a decent amount of hits and kudos for someone with just 11 works on AO3 (I count 3 kudos as good), and I know that for those who can be arsed to sit down and read it, they usually end up liking my stuff too, which of course is key. ("Liking" is wrong, by the way. "Bothering to finish and then being left with an impression" is a better way of putting it. "Disgusted" is better than bored to tears.) The best way to convince people to read it, is to have other people recommend your stuff. This includes the silent recommendation that is decent hits, kudos and comment count. People are more likely to read what other people endorse. So I need to market it to as many people as possible - getting as many as possible to click it, then just keep writing as hopefully one day someone will read it.

As when applying for a job, you have to forget about the self glorification stuff. Look at your goal, look at how you portray yourself (and your stuff) and have the confidence to say "I know me/ my stuff is good; I believe in it" and then just go for it.

Top Bottom