Little oddities and incongruities in the FF7 World. [SPOILERS]

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm pretty sure that's intentional. :monster:

I don't think Shinra just stopped at making the people of Midgar forget what their individual cities/districts were called before they were raised up onto the Rotten Pizza.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
I've always found it weird how there is seemingly no concept of nations anywhere to be found in the setting, besides Wutai. Shinra is a relatively recent thing in the world, but there's no real indication of what life was like before them. They apparently rose as a weapons manufacturer in a war, but who was fighting? Why? It's never really developed on.

"What was life like before Shinra?" You know who would know that? Bugenhagen, our favorite dodecacentenarian. Which then leads me to wonder something. Bugenhagen is a 129 year old man who has intimate knowledge of the "Will of the Planet," yet not one seems to wonder if he's a Cetra? Everyone seems just very nonchalant about his longevity, ability to float and knowledge of the Lifestream.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
Wouldn't going into the Lifestream be akin to a blissful and heavenly afterlife? Cetras even called it the Promised Land. Hell is probably the negative Lifestream making the souls there suffer.

Definitely not the same thing, though.

IIRC, the On the Way to a Smile Novel alludes to Lifestream also having a sense of judgement. Wedge, Biggs, Jessie and Dyne refer to something akin to not fully enjoying the Lifestream due to the lives harmed when they were alive. That said, apparently somehow Aerith was able to get Lifestream to forgive them, I think.

Reactions: Wol

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
IIRC, the On the Way to a Smile Novel alludes to Lifestream also having a sense of judgement. Wedge, Biggs, Jessie and Dyne refer to something akin to not fully enjoying the Lifestream due to the lives harmed when they were alive. That said, apparently somehow Aerith was able to get Lifestream to forgive them, I think.
FYI That’s from ambiguously canon The Maiden Who Travels The Planet novella, not OTWTAS.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
FYI That’s from ambiguously canon The Maiden Who Travels The Planet novella, not OTWTAS.

Ah, thanks for the correction! Oh, I didn't realize it was ambiguously canon . I'm reading the link Final Fantasy Fandom wiki entry about it now. I read both novels in a single pdf which is where I probably got confused.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
Final Fantasy Fandom is... tricky... they're really bad with citing sources and you can't really remove anything wrong unless there's proof that it's wrong rather than just not talked about.

Maiden is... very, very weird with a lot of things. Particularly Aerith's characterization and how Cloud's background is understood. It even goes against OG canon, let alone the canon of the rest of the Compilation. Particularly Case of Lifestream.

waw

Pro Adventurer
I've always found it weird how there is seemingly no concept of nations anywhere to be found in the setting, besides Wutai. Shinra is a relatively recent thing in the world, but there's no real indication of what life was like before them. They apparently rose as a weapons manufacturer in a war, but who was fighting? Why? It's never really developed on.

Unfettered capitalism. Shinra just bought up all the world governments, I think.

I think the big problem, though is the lack of other cities outside of Midgar. There's no big population-centers besides small towns and Junon. That's the curious part of this for me. The Cetran hologram in Remake showed possible other mako reactor hubs, which makes me really curious. I'd love a more detailed world map, even if we don't visit them. I just want more info on the world.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
Unfettered capitalism. Shinra just bought up all the world governments, I think.

I think the big problem, though is the lack of other cities outside of Midgar. There's no big population-centers besides small towns and Junon. That's the curious part of this for me. The Cetran hologram in Remake showed possible other mako reactor hubs, which makes me really curious. I'd love a more detailed world map, even if we don't visit them. I just want more info on the world.

You and me, both, buddy. Hopefully they will keep expanding the depth of the world and the lore. It's just too fascinating of a world to leave confined to just the adventures of Cloud and the gang. It would be nice if Square expanded on the world pre-Midgar.

I've always wondered, if pre-Shinra, the world was basically steampunk

waw

Pro Adventurer
I've always wondered, if pre-Shinra, the world was basically steampunk

Right? It's fascinating. They had some semblance of technology but nothing Mako Reactor level it seems. It was a massive, exponential leap. They also have all this SND/Tech stuff.

I'd love to see some competitors with early Shinra. Maybe see Heidegger as a general of a big empire or something, turn traitor and off the head of state and hand the military over to President Shinra.

I've imagined there being four main nations in FF7's Planet:
Wutai on their crescent continent. I imagine there something akin to a sort of Buddhist-esque Samurai China. Yeah, a mixture of things. (Please Remake, add Princess Himemiko!!!)

Some sort of Republic of sorts that Midgar and Junon sprouted out of. It makes sense for it to be a bit Galbadia-esque. Interested in expanding, a bit militant, but very modern seeming. Something for the President to inherit/take over from the inside.

Something for that Republic to fight against, I imagine old world esque empires/kingdoms, possible around Nibelheim/Corel. It makes sense that there'd be a first loser before Wutai, and some sort of war that a weapons manufacturer would benefit from facing. Making it a US/Republic/Allies vs. an Old World Empire/Germany a la WWI or WWII allusions make some sense for a pre-Shinra world.

Finally, an island nation or groupings, whether totally united or not. Mideel, Banora, and a bunch of these other island nations are probably the target of capitalist imperial expansion and colonization. I imagine they probably fell to an expanding Republic before the "Old World" nation would have.

You'd then still have smaller more... I hate the word but "tribal" existences with Sahagin, Nanaki's group, etc.

Regardless of all that fan theory, there should be empty cities and villages around Midgar. If that city sprouted and developed in a roughly 30 year period, migrants from other areas should leave some places fairly deserted. That'd be awesome to see.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
You know something that I just realized was odd, the Turk's official name: The Shinra Department of Administrative Research. What the hell does "Administrative Research" even mean?

I mean, sure, I get Shinra is trying to be all Orwellian instead of just openly calling them, "Shinra's Dept of Hitmen and Also Occasionally Random Ass Odd Jobs" but seriously, "Administrative Research"? It makes them sound like they research more efficient ways to sort out office memos or some shit like that.

waw

Pro Adventurer
It struck me as corporate espionage in code. Presumably, at one point, Shinra had industrial rivals and folks trying to steal Mako Reactor/SOLDIER secrets and that was a big part where the Turks came into play in my mind.

They get the name "Turks" after a brand of suits sold in Junon ircc, right?
EDIT: ^^ THIS INFO NEEDS SOURCED - PROBABLY FANON

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The actual name for the Turks as of Remake is... General Affairs Division: Audit Bureau. Which fits both "Investigation Division" and "Research Department" names rather well. They're just really clumsy localizations of the JP name. What does is an "audit" after all? It's when a body of people do research and investigate on what happened in an incident in a business setting. So I can totally see the Turks starting out as just a regular group of auditors and then slowly adding in more force to it given how people would resist being audited by Shinra.
They get the name "Turks" after a brand of suits sold in Junon ircc, right?
I have never heard of this before. It sounds like fanon. If anyone has a game/novella/ultimania source for it, I'd love to know.

waw

Pro Adventurer
It sounds like fanon. If anyone has a game/novella/ultimania source for it, I'd love to know.
If anyone has a source for this, please confirm. I think I originally read it on the FF wikia, but I thought I saw it sourced somewhere else too. It's one of those obscure things I didn't think too much about. I'm going to put a tag on the post above because I don't want to spread false info.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The Final Fantasy Wikia is a *very* bad source of lore. It doesn't require people to *cite* where they get their information. It *does* require people to cite where the information that *counters* the wrong information is. This becomes a problem when the game doesn't say *where* the Turks actually go their name from...

Unless they're an actual citation to an Ultimania entry or game script quote... there's a very good chance someone made it up if the information is not easy to find in the game.

Kyo Cobran

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Jim Kyo
The Final Fantasy Wikia is a *very* bad source of lore. It doesn't require people to *cite* where they get their information. It *does* require people to cite where the information that *counters* the wrong information is. This becomes a problem when the game doesn't say *where* the Turks actually go their name from...

Unless they're an actual citation to an Ultimania entry or game script quote... there's a very good chance someone made it up if the information is not easy to find in the game.

I find that so strange that the site works that way since proving something doesn't exist is much more challenging than proving something exists.

Top Bottom