Lucifer (TV Series)

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I don't know about you, but I'm certainly intrigued by this trailer. :awesome:

Lex

Administrator
oh look, something americans made where lucifer is british

quick cover your shock

Anyway, it does look mildly interesting. However, it's on Fox. I'll wait til it gets renewed for a second season before I invest any time in it.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
oh look, something americans made where lucifer is british

quick cover your shock.
Neil Gaiman isn't American. =P

This looks worth a try, though with the fate "Constantine" suffered, probably a bad time for it to be made, especially on Fox.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
He just wrote speech bubbles, though.

The british accent for a villain is the only one that doesn't have unfortunate implications, these days- you couldn't have him Arabic, for instance.

Did Constantine get good? I watched the first few episodes, but while it had potential, didn't grab me the way the comics did.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
It's based on a character (Lucifer from "The Sandman" comics) that he created -- and whom he asked the artist to model after David Bowie (another Brit) -- as well as Lucifer's eponymous series written by Mike Carey (also British).

Lex

Administrator
It's still an american production with a British dude playing the leader of all evil though. It's pretty stereotypical of American media.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So were the "Harry Potter" movies, and that was as the author intended. Though describing the character as "the leader of all evil" tells me you don't know much about him.

But you do know Lucifer's the hero of this thing, right?

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
The entire cast was British in Harry Potter Tres, come the fuck on! Everything about the Harry Potter movies is completely British aside from the fact that the people (who are almost entirely British) were employed by Warner Brothers. It's a well known fact that was a stipulation of J.K.Rowling allowing them to be made. They were even filmed here, which is rare.

It's LUCIFER. He might be the protagonist but that's kind of irrelevant given how the character of Lucifer is known around the world XD XD XD. Omg why is this even an argument.

If you're telling me this was set in L.A. in the source material and the original author wanted a British actor, that's fair enough. A British villain in an American setting is completely different from a British villain in a British setting. There's a history of America making villains British and I'm just saying I'm not surprised.

v2.jpg

I'm not going to sit here and pretend English accents don't make good villains, but I am going to say that it happens too often, and it's a particularly American thing to do.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Not that your observation is inaccurate (hell, it could even be what got a studio executive to give the thumbs up), but in this case
If you're telling me this was set in L.A. in the source material and the original author wanted a British actor, that's fair enough.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Were Gaiman and Carey involved in casting the show?

That trailer didn't grab me, honestly. He looks a lot like a stock ' rogue' character, (Lucifer Morningstar against mob hitmen? Really?) If I was gonna cast Lucifer, the character would be something like this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbxNlS5kiCM"/>

Also British accented, but you can't have everything. I mean the attitude, pure arrogance, but determined to defy fate, etc. But it could still prove me wrong, most things do.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'd be very surprised if Gaiman or Carey were involved with the casting, but Gaiman was adamant in the design of Lucifer that he's Bowie, telling artist Kelley Jones, "You must draw David Bowie. Find David Bowie, or I'll send you David Bowie. Because if it isn't David Bowie, you're going to have to redo it until it is David Bowie." So I'd be even more surprised if that didn't include room for him to sound English.

Last edited:

Novus

Pro Adventurer
The original Sandman comic is really good, and everyone should read it.

I meant to get around to reading Lucifer but life is short and reading is long.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I'd be very surprised if Gaiman or Carey were involved with the casting, but Gaiman was adamant in the design of Lucifer that he's Bowie, telling artist Kelley Jones, "You must draw David Bowie. Find David Bowie, or I'll send you David Bowie. Because if it isn't David Bowie, you're going to have to redo it until it is David Bowie." So I'd be even more surprised if that didn't include room for him to sound English.

Sam Vimes is drawn as Clint Eastwood. Doesn't make him American. It doesn't really bother me, but considering he's not even from earth, in a setting where earth actually exists, the only reason he'd have that accent is intentionally for kicks.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I didn't say the character is British or English, did I? =P

Fact is, he would have some kind of accent (to someone's ears) if he communicates audibly. Given then that he was created by an Englishman who insisted emphatically that the character be modeled after another Englishman, it's only a natural leap to think that he might have an English accent. At any rate, it's hardly egregious to have an actor with such an accent portray him.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
There's that. But given that comics don't use sound, I also wouldn't be surprised if no one gave it any thought. Ah well. It's not a big deal either way.

Whip

Thanks for the good memories.
Lucifer is one of my favorite comics and this looks pretty terrible.
Oh, well. It'll likely get cancelled after one season anyway.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Lucifer is one of my favorite comics and this looks pretty terrible.
Oh, well. It'll likely get cancelled after one season anyway.
I don't know, I tend not to write anything off before it's been aired. That doesn't necessarily mean I think it's going to be the best thing ever either, but I'm intrigued at the very least.

Whip

Thanks for the good memories.
I don't know, I tend not to write anything off before it's been aired. That doesn't necessarily mean I think it's going to be the best thing ever either, but I'm intrigued at the very least.

The Lucifer comic has a pretty serious tone to it, this seems to be more on the quirky/goofy side. Reminds me more of Buffy or Supernatural than the Lucifer I know. I'm surprised Fox of all stations picked that title for a series.
Worst comes to worst I'll just do what I always do and pretend it's something completely different,...because it's shaping up that way. :awesome:
We'll see.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA

Also just heard the pilot leaked some two months ago. Obviously downloading now, will divulge some thoughts soon.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Just watched the pilot finally.

It's not bad, but there's certainly room for a lot of improvement. As previously discussed, it is quite quirky and cheesy, but then there are a few moments of seriousness. Will be interesting to see how the season progresses.

Top Bottom