Meaning of character's name

Thenir

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nirnaeth
Hi!
I have a question about Aerith's last name.
The names of the characters generally have a meaning related to their role:
Cloud Strife clearly refers to his personality, Zack Fair too. Tifa Lockhart is about her shyness. Barret recalls the word bullet, Cid Highwind is related to his role as a pilot, and so on...
I know that Aerith is a transliteration of "earth". But what about Gainsborough (or Faremis if we want to consider her biological father's last name)? I checked on the web but I couldn't find anything interesting. As a non-native English speaker I can't understand if it could sound like something meaningful.
Thank you!

JBedford

Pro Adventurer
AKA
JBed
Faremis is a joke on "Famires". There's a family restaurant in Japan called "Gusto", and "famires" is the common shortening of "family restaurant" in Japanese. His Japanese name just switches two characters around. This joke makes more sense when you consider his surname is discovered in the Shinra library where Mayor Domino['s Pizza] and Deputy Mayor Hart (or [Pizza] Hut) are.

I have no theories about Gainsborough though.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Hi!
Cloud Strife clearly refers to his personality, Zack Fair too. Tifa Lockhart is about her shyness. Barret recalls the word bullet, Cid Highwind is related to his role as a pilot, and so on...
I know that Aerith is a transliteration of "earth". But what about Gainsborough (or Faremis if we want to consider her biological father's last name)? I checked on the web but I couldn't find anything interesting. As a non-native English speaker I can't understand if it could sound like something meaningful.
Thank you!

IMO "lockhart" refers to her role in the plot, it's a reference to the "tender feelings locked deep inside Clouds heart", as well as the secrets about Cloud that she keeps locked up inside her own.

disgruntled_avian

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Hi!
Thank you!

disgruntled_avian

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Barret Wallace= Barrett is a coal mine in Indiana I believe, and is a company that makes mining helmets. Wallace is a refefence to William Wallace

Tifa Lockhart= Tifa is deerived from Tiferet, one of the 10 emanations in Kabbalah. Tiferet means beauty. Lockhart is due to alot of factors not solely on her shyness

Cloud Strife: Cloud represents heaven as as Aerith Symbolises Earth, as she is of the Cetra descent. Strife referes to what a psychoanalyst described as Cloud having Dissossiative Identity Disorder

Cait Sith: Celtic for Fairy Cat, hence his accent.

Vincent Valentine: References St. Valentine, the Patron Saint of Lovers. He was in love with a women named Lucrecia, and was never able to have a relationship with her. Lucrecia is based off of a painting depicting inappropriate acts toward Lucretia

Sephiroth: Derived from Sefirot from Kabbalah.

Midgar: Derived from Midgard in Norse Mythology. It means enclosure i believe.

Junon: Derived from Juno, the Roman Goddess of love. If Midgar is the man, then Junon is the woman

Nibelheim: Derived from Norse Mythology, refering to the cold and misty Mt. Nibel

Rydeen

In-KWEH-dible
Barret Wallace= Barrett is a coal mine in Indiana I believe, and is a company that makes mining helmets. Wallace is a refefence to William Wallace
There's also Barrett Firearms Manufacturing. His first name seems to have some layers. Bullet transliterated. Apparently there is indeed a coal mine in the middle of nowhere in Indiana called Barrett. It seems weird for them to know that, but if intentional it wouldn't be the first time they made an obscure reference.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

Tifa Lockhart= Tifa is deerived from Tiferet, one of the 10 emanations in Kabbalah. Tiferet means beauty. Lockhart is due to alot of factors not solely on her shyness
I have reason to suspect Tiferet is the root for both Tifa and Aerith, given the fact the two characters were originally the same even in the very early drafts.

Cloud Strife: Cloud represents heaven as as Aerith Symbolises Earth, as she is of the Cetra descent. Strife referes to what a psychoanalyst described as Cloud having Dissossiative Identity Disorder
Disassociative.

Cait Sith: Celtic for Fairy Cat, hence his accent.

Vincent Valentine: References St. Valentine, the Patron Saint of Lovers. He was in love with a women named Lucrecia, and was never able to have a relationship with her. Lucrecia is based off of a painting depicting inappropriate acts toward Lucretia

Sephiroth: Derived from Sefirot from Kabbalah.

Midgar: Derived from Midgard in Norse Mythology. It means enclosure i believe.
Middle Fortress or Middle Enclosure, to be precise. Asgard being the As - God - Gard -Enclosure.

Junon: Derived from Juno, the Roman Goddess of love. If Midgar is the man, then Junon is the woman

Nibelheim: Derived from Norse Mythology, refering to the cold and misty Mt. Nibel
The norse reference is to Niflheim, land of the dead. Gunnthra is likewise a primal river in the void before worlds. It's a bit of a shame Aerith's last staff wasn't labeled Gjallarbru. It is neat how many of the endgame weapons are named after artifacts in Norse Mythology.

Top Bottom