• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Mortal Kombat

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Why Johnny Cage won't be in the film as explained by the producer:

Johnny Cage is obviously the elephant in the room, and there's a number of reasons why Johnny Cage was problematic in this particular movie out of the gate. One, he's a very big personality, right? He needs his own space. It's very hard to just throw him in a movie, like I said, with Kano. So, taking him out was very easy not only for the movie, but for the sequel. I want to make a sequel, and I've now got Johnny Cage, which hasn't been used in the first one. So, I have a big stick and carrot that maybe they'll let me have a Johnny Cage real presence in the second one.

Secondarily, when you think about Mortal Kombat, if you just think about like the patina of the movie, it has a very Asian feel to it. And I early on felt uncomfortable having a white male lead kind of lead that charge in the first movie. It just felt Hollywood-ish to me, which is weird because he's an actor, which also was weird. And then it's probably my bias of how it just feels weird if I'm trying to do - and I was - something different and diverse and true. Is it a cop out to all of a sudden have Ryan Reynolds - not him, but you know - as the lead felt a little disingenuous to me. It's super easy to bring him in a big, bombastic, fun way in the second. And he deserves that as a character. I love these characters, so we thought hard about it.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
That producer should be fired, especially when you consider the fact that Johnny Cage was the first character ever kreated for Mortal Kombat (for those who are unaware, Mortal Kombat started off as a proposed celebrity endorsement video game featuring Bloodsport star Jean-Claude Van Damme, but Midway's negotiations with JCVD fell through, resulting in a character based on him named Johnny Cage; even the Nut Punch was taken from JCVD in Bloodsport).

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I mean, it still looks good and I'm very interested. But yes, that's dumb. If you replace "Mortal Kombat" with "Street Fighter" and "Johnny Cage" with "Ken Masters" in that paragraph, it makes as much sense. Meaning it doesn't.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Delayed from April 16th to April 23rd.

El3fdw8.jpg

Mortal Kombat theme.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
To my knowledge, the only MK games I'm aware of that have been released in Japan are the SNES and PS1 ports of MK2. In a strange twist of irony, the former was notable for its strange form of censorship (the blood color was changed from red to green and the screen turned black and white for Fatalities), while the latter was exclusively released in Japan (though I hear the PS1 port wasn't very good). The censorship in the Japanese SNES release is even more ironic because the same port was released uncensored in the West, and THAT came off the heels of the original game on the same platform being heavily censored.

As for why those are the only 2 MK releases in Japan to my knowledge, I think the MK franchise might actually be banned there (which is nothing new, given well-documented bans of certain MK titles in countries such as Germany and Australia). I do know that the most recent game was banned in Japan, Indonesia, and Ukraine.

D

Deleted member 13557

Hyped for this. Looks like it'll be a good time.
Thread made me realise how much I miss MK9. MK11 left me feeling kinda disappointed, and I haven't touched the thing in months. MKX was fine enough, with the guest characters probably being the most fun to play as. Do remember being pissed with how they did my boy Baraka though.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
Hyped for this. Looks like it'll be a good time.
Thread made me realise how much I miss MK9. MK11 left me feeling kinda disappointed, and I haven't touched the thing in months. MKX was fine enough, with the guest characters probably being the most fun to play as. Do remember being pissed with how they did my boy Baraka though.
MK11 royally pissed me off by ruining Sindel, to the point where I'm comparing her appearance in MK11 to 4 high-profile cases of the wrestling business using fake versions of established gimmicks in the 90s while comparing Original Timeline Sindel to the real versions.

Nanaki Skywalker

Kate Lord of the Sith
AKA
Tarkatan Trash
That made me chuckle. Ed Boon saw fake Diesel and said, "shit, that's not a bad idea!" lol.
Except fake Diesel ended up being a legend in his own right in the form of Kane. But with that aside, fake Diesel was one of the 4 gimmicks I mentioned.

There was also fake Razor Ramon (simultaneously with fake Diesel, given the circumstances behind that angle's creation), fake Sting, and fake Undertaker.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Except fake Diesel ended up being a legend in his own right in the form of Kane. But with that aside, fake Diesel was one of the 4 gimmicks I mentioned.

There was also fake Razor Ramon (simultaneously with fake Diesel, given the circumstances behind that angle's creation), fake Sting, and fake Undertaker.
Now, when you say "fake Sting" do you mean that nWo clown, Stink, or The Crow? =P

Ghost X

For those that want to enter in blind, don't read the following review of mine of the movie :monster:.

Had good and bad bits, but I don't think it'll be a cult hit like the original, but fade into obscurity rather quickly. It felt like half of it was the Kano Comedy Hour, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing (genuinely funny), except there was a bit too much emphasis on him. I didn't really like the birth mark power thing either, but hey, they're experimenting. Adding in a new character was risky, especially seeing as they were connected to one of the OG characters, but they handled it okay, in my view... 3/5 stars

Was made where I live so it felt quite local in a sense, though seeing familiar buildings helped with that :P, and I knew folks by 2nd degree who worked on it, so watching the credits was interesting trying to point them out. Seems others in the audience were doing similarly.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Yeah this movie was as bleh as I expected it to be.

Good action scenes bogged down by a lot of other stuff that brings it down. Still overall an enjoyable watch though. I hope whatever next ones they make lean into goofy shit a bit harder.

So is the boring main guy the Alice of the MK movies?

Top Bottom