My First MMO: Tet's Eorzean Adventures [FFXIV]

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
And then the FFVIII reference comes from the fact that Ultimecia's name may have been a incorrect transliteration of her Japanese name, and it would have been more accurate for it to have been Artemisia

That is in fact what she is called in the German localization :monster:
Still didn't make the connection between Artemis->Artemisia though, seems obvious now

Tets, you've managed to regularly accomplish something that most people struggle to accomplish even once: Make me care about somebody's experience playing FFXIV. :monster:

The screenshots you post are absolutely beautiful and the way you describe your journey is engaging and comedic. Very well done.

Much appreciated <3

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Kills me that no one with the opportunity to ask has ever asked which of those was meant to be the origin of Ulti's name. Kind of seems like both the "ultimate" and "Artemisia" influences may have been incorporated -- perhaps after starting at one and realizing the applicability of the transliteration of the other?

At the very least, I do think "ultimate" is part of the intention there, in part because FFVIII was the first game to get an Ultimania, and the introduction to that book explains that the name "Ultimania" was derived from mashing "ultimate" and "mania" together. That sense of "ultimate" as something wholly comprehensive/all in one obviously fits Ultimecia.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Kills me that no one with the opportunity to ask has ever asked which of those was meant to be the origin of Ulti's name. Kind of seems like both the "ultimate" and "Artemisia" influences may have been incorporated -- perhaps after starting at one and realizing the applicability of the transliteration of the other?

At the very least, I do think "ultimate" is part of the intention there, in part because FFVIII was the first game to get an Ultimania, and the introduction to that book explains that the name "Ultimania" was derived from mashing "ultimate" and "mania" together. That sense of "ultimate" as something wholly comprehensive/all in one obviously fits Ultimecia.
It's probably a little of both, since the Ultima spell and Ultimate/Ultima Weapons existed in the FF series even before the Ultimecia character.
But Artemisia being a typical sorceress name in Italian culture also fits very well with FFVIII's sorceress schtick too.
FFXIV is definitely leaning into the Artemis part since the Convocation Ascians' true names are leaning into being all named after Greek Gods: Hades, Artemis, Gaia, etc. in addition to their Hellenistic Zodiac signs from FFXII.

Top Bottom