NeoCrisis WTF Moment - Final Fantasy 8

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Re: NeoCrisis WTF Moment - Final Fantasy 8

He was wayyy ahead of his time though, emo before it became the Thing To Be, :monster:.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

No offense, but Squall *IS* a teenager. I mean, it kinda comes with the territory. Chiding him for that is silly. :monster:

It's like not expecting an old person to lament their youth and be stubborn. If you don't want to see the characterization and conflict of a teenager mired in a mercenary society fighting a sorceress from the future while getting over his abandonment issues with his new first girlfriend, then don't play. If you do, then don't be surprised the teenage lead acts like a teenager.

It's the point. It's like drinking milk and getting pissed that its dairy. If you're lactose intolerant then don't drink lactose. Otherwise, deal with the runs.

And emo is getting to be a very annoying stereotype as well.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c

Pretty bullshit excuse for Squall's bad personality there chief.

Everyone else is pretty well adjusted, with entertaining personalities that aren't all OHHHHHH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH, or whatever, I don't care, that's your problem.

People who are part of the same mercenary organization.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Because everyone in the world has well adjusted, entertaining personalities. That's definitely a representative sample of how people are, and gives a realistic, mature viewpoint of a mercenary organization built to fight terroristic bitches from the future.

I'm sure we should all have wonderful, charismatic heroes like Zidane, Bartz, and Tidus, or what have you because then that'd definitely show FF as being strong in its character portrayal and diversity in heroes.

One of the reasons I love FF is because not everyone's a well adjusted person with a nice personality. I love heroes like that because it makes their development and change all the more interesting and noticeable. I'm sure people would love, running with a protagonists like Bartz, and Tidus every installment.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=243.msg6532#msg6532 date=1231357906]
Because everyone in the world has well adjusted, entertaining personalities. That's definitely a representative sample of how people are, and gives a realistic, mature viewpoint of a mercenary organization built to fight terroristic bitches from the future.

I'm sure we should all have wonderful, charismatic heroes like Zidane, Bartz, and Tidus, or what have you because then that'd definitely show FF as being strong in its character portrayal and diversity in heroes.

One of the reasons I love FF is because not everyone's a well adjusted person with a nice personality. I love heroes like that because it makes their development and change all the more interesting and noticeable. I'm sure people would love, running with a protagonists like Bartz, and Tidus every installment.
[/quote]

You're failing to realize that the problem is, almost all there is to Squall is his shitty personality. 90% of the game he was whining, complaining, or just being an insufferable twat.

Not to mention whatever development he had was rushed and completely unbelievable.

Cloud had a pretty shitty personality at the beginning, but that gave way to his goofy, jokingly, determined, strong, heroic, heartfelt personality.

Squall is like a failed attempt at replicating that.

Also, this a videogame, I'm playing it to be entertained, at the very least the guy I'm playing as should be entertaining, not an annoying douchebag that hates everyone. I don't need to see your stereotypical "I hate the world, I'm so depressed and miserable" teenage personality, that almost never gives way through the story.

The only good moment Squall had was his speech at Balamb, that he didn't even want to give.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

also, lol Tidus charismatic.

But even he is preferable to Squall.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

It's also a story, so there has to be some realistic characterization and maturity there for it to be taken seriously and be fully engrossed in the game. They kinda go hand in hand.

I dunno, I don't see Squall acting that shitty. He had his good moments too when he assumed the role of leader for Balamb and realized just how much everyone cared for him. It really sounds like you're describing Seifer, LOL.

Yeah, Squall's a flawed character, but that's the point. And really, Squall mostly complained inwardly to himself. If you can't like him fine, but don't get mad at him for being the star of his own game. At least appreciate him for what he is objectively. It's like the people who try to bash Tifa for being "weak" when they only are looking at one tiny glimpse of who she is and neglecting all of the other badass stuff she's done.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

It's also a story, so there has to be some realistic characterization and maturity there for it to be taken seriously and be fully engrossed in the game.

I'm sorry, but that wasn't realistic characterization. It was joke. No maturity either, if your idea of maturity is constant whining, pushing people away, and all around being an insensitive jerk, then wow.
I dunno, I don't see Squall acting that shitty. He had his good moments too when he assumed the role of leader for Balamb and realized just how much everyone cared for him. It really sounds like you're describing Seifer, LOL.

He had one good moment.
Yeah, Squall's a flawed character, but that's the point. And really, Squall mostly complained inwardly to himself.

No, he's a broken character who was badly developed. No, his complaining was always present to the viewer, which is what made it annoying.

If you can't like him fine, but don't get mad at him for being the star of his own game.

Wtf, mad at him for being star of his own game? Baseless accusations much?

I just think he's a crap character in a good game. He doesn't ruin it.
At least appreciate him for what he is objectively.

Yes, I appreciate him for being a badly written and badly executed character in a good game.
It's like the people who try to bash Tifa for being "weak" when they only are looking at one tiny glimpse of who she is and neglecting all of the other badass stuff she's done.

No it's not. Tifa's personality wasn't almost unbearable.

Sure Squall did some cool things, he's still a crap character.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Well see, I can't make you like him :monster:

But there are some people who would try to argue that Tifa was unbearable too. They inhabit a certain pink forum and would be quite happy to say she was a broken character who was badly developed.

However it is, looking at a character and bashing them for just there flaws never is any fun.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

I find it quite entertaining.

The case of Tifa(lol) is completely different, since she only ever tried to do what was right, and look out for the people she cared about, hell she lives for them.

Anyone who says otherwise is just a fanpairing shipping faggot trying to make her out to be the worst character of the two parings to make theirs look better.

She has far less flaws than those people make out.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Crazy mofo.

Well, I'm sure Squall fans could pick out every single one of his positive points and make the same argument and say that while he's flawed he still cared deep down for his friends and wanted to protect them. And that he has left flaws than those other people make out.

I can't quite list them all since I'm not that big of a Squall fan but I still find him likeable enough and interesting :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=243.msg6557#msg6557 date=1231360155]

Well, I'm sure Squall fans could pick out every single one of his positive points and make the same argument and say that while he's flawed he still cared deep down for his friends and wanted to protect them. And that he has left flaws than those other people make out.
[/quote]

I never take fanbois srsly.

The problem is whatever development Squall got was incredibly rushed close to endgame, and made it unbelievable imo.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Yeah well, Tidus is the best protagonist anyways :duhard:

Period.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Regardless of how shitty his personality is in the Compilation, Cloud probably is still my fav hero.

Wouldn't say he was THE BEST EBAR tho.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

The only time his personalty was "shitty" though to you was AC, and then he ended up acting like his true self in the end once he got his head on straight :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

No he didn't, he was still some quiet, solemn motherfucker.

The other projects don't matter since he was such a bit player in them.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Better quiet and solemn than whiny and angry, though, right? :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

I would have been happy if he'd been more angry than mopey most of the film.

And for fuck's sake, Cloud is a grown man, he doesn't need some deadass girl to continue popping up to vindicate his guilt.

fucking flowerhag.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

LOL @ angry Cloud. You know, we've never seen Cloud really "rage" much. He's been angry, and emotional but never like...enraged. That'd be an interesting sight.

LOL he's a grown man but do remember he spent 4 good years of his critical teenage years in a test tube as a vegetable. He does have some catching up to do :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Pretty sure he raaaaaaaged at Sefiros a few times.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Only when he really stabbed Sephiroth with the Buster Sword as a trooper.

Whenever he fights Sephiroth after that, he does it not through pure rage. He's in control. I'm thinking of something along the lines of how Tella or Galuf went nuts trying to kill their enemy.

Or for a more FFVII example, when Vincent wanted to kill Hojo.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

Do you can be mad as fuck and still in control.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal

Well I meant in a losing control kinda way :monster:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA

No you didn't, shut up.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

[quote author=Dacon link=topic=243.msg6540#msg6540 date=1231358685]
also, lol Tidus charismatic.

But even he is preferable to Squall.
[/quote]

Tidus has the lovable dork quality. Most of the time he was all "w00t let's go get 'em!" and really only got emotional when he had a really really good reason to do so.

[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=243.msg6504#msg6504 date=1231346617]
He was wayyy ahead of his time though, emo before it became the Thing To Be, :monster: .
[/quote]

True, true, Squall does have that going for him. XD

Top Bottom