Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
[quote author=CeeK link=topic=579.msg22254#msg22254 date=1235449675]
[quote author=V link=topic=579.msg22252#msg22252 date=1235449504]
People are afraid that it would turn into ACF's spam forum apparently.

I still don't get what exactly would be wrong with that, but whatever.
[/quote]

people might get picked on and cause drama. :( But if there's at least some rules/guidelines and some proper mod enforcing there shouldn't be too many problems. And if there was going to be crap on this forum it would've already happened somewhere else.
[/quote]

Personally, personally (and I emphasize on personally because this has no bearings on the subjective enforcement of rules), I think that 'spam' forums and the constant allowment of spam is incredibly retarded and it undermines actual discussion. Being familiar and dicking around now and then is fine, but I would loathe an entire board revolving around the principle of spam. But that's just me personally, pay that no mind in regards to this topic.

And I'm saying that if no one outside staff had a expressed complaints about how much Mumble and Kuno-Ichi have been posting, then it's not particularly important. If it derails a particularly important thread, split it, but I haven't yet seen them derail a thread that actually contained active discussion

That's your opinion. Personally, I do not believe that's how a board (or hell, anywhere) should be run. Sorry dude, but I disagree. If you want to make a case about it, feel free to!

[quote author=Dacon link=topic=579.msg22256#msg22256 date=1235449921]
And the off topic spam from Cthulhu himself?

Where's that fall?
[/quote]

I've never seen him do it as bad as some other people I've seen. If I have, I've have something to say about it as well. I do not believe that Staff should be exempt from rules.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
[quote author=The Notorious M.O.G. link=topic=579.msg22257#msg22257 date=1235449928]
[quote author=CeeK link=topic=579.msg22254#msg22254 date=1235449675]
[quote author=V link=topic=579.msg22252#msg22252 date=1235449504]
People are afraid that it would turn into ACF's spam forum apparently.

I still don't get what exactly would be wrong with that, but whatever.
[/quote]

people might get picked on and cause drama. :( But if there's at least some rules/guidelines and some proper mod enforcing there shouldn't be too many problems. And if there was going to be crap on this forum it would've already happened somewhere else.
[/quote]

Personally, personally (and I emphasize on personally because this has no bearings on the subjective enforcement of rules), I think that 'spam' forums and the constant allowment of spam is incredibly retarded and it undermines actual discussion. Being familiar and dicking around now and then is fine, but I would loathe an entire board revolving around the principle of spam. But that's just me personally, pay that no mind in regards to this topic.[/quote]That doesn't happen. ACF wasn't a spam board. You even posted there, so I'm not really sure how you could get that impression. There were many problems with ACF, but the quality of the discussion wasn't one of them.

And I'm saying that if no one outside staff had a expressed complaints about how much Mumble and Kuno-Ichi have been posting, then it's not particularly important. If it derails a particularly important thread, split it, but I haven't yet seen them derail a thread that actually contained active discussion

That's your opinion. Personally, I do not believe that's how a board (or hell, anywhere) should be run. Sorry dude, but I disagree. If you want to make a case about it, feel free to!
Present an example of them derailing an active, serious discussion; otherwise you've yet to present a rationale for why it's destructive other than that you don't like reading spam posts.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Posting poems about Shogoth or whatever isn't spam at all in an Election thread.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
That doesn't happen. ACF wasn't a spam board. You even posted there, so I'm not really sure how you could get that impression. There were many problems with ACF, but the quality of the discussion wasn't one of them.

One of the biggest fucking things I hated about ACF was the spam, and not just the spam board (which was the worst), but in general. But like I said, that's just me personally.

Present an example of them derailing an active, serious discussion; otherwise you've yet to present a rationale for why it's destructive other than that you don't like reading spam posts.

http://forums.thelifestream.net/general-discussion/the-lifestream-member-picture-discussion-thread/510/

A topic doesn't have to be OMG SERIOUS STUFF in order for it not to be important enough not to be spammed. Disrupting a topic with spam curtails actual discussion, discourages new posters, and just takes up space.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
[quote author=The Notorious M.O.G. link=topic=579.msg22261#msg22261 date=1235450414]
That doesn't happen. ACF wasn't a spam board. You even posted there, so I'm not really sure how you could get that impression. There were many problems with ACF, but the quality of the discussion wasn't one of them.

One of the biggest fucking things I hated about ACF was the spam, and not just the spam board (which was the worst), but in general. But like I said, that's just me personally. [/quote]Yeah, I really didn't ever notice any spam to speak of outside of General Chat, and I posted there for two years before it closed.

http://forums.thelifestream.net/general-discussion/the-lifestream-member-picture-discussion-thread/510/

A topic doesn't have to be OMG SERIOUS STUFF in order for it not to be important enough not to be spammed. Disrupting a topic with spam curtails actual discussion, discourages new posters, and just takes up space.
The Member Picture Discussion Thread? Seriously? That's your example of a serious discussion thread that got derailed?

Member Picture Discussion is the very definition of a spam thread. The whole reason it exists is so members can banter with one another.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
The Member Picture Discussion Thread? Seriously? That's your example?

Hahahahahahahaha.

I guess we have different views on what is an 'important' enough thread that isn't worth being spammed to death. This conversation is over. However, the next time I see a thread discussing the intricacies of Also Sprach Zarathustra or an in depth discussion of Keynesian economics I'll be sure to keep it spam free, just for you.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
The member picture thread is a casual thread, it's meant to be care free.

Geez.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
I could kind of understand a reaction like this if there had been rampant spam in a number of Final Fantasy threads, or various entertainment topics or whatnot. But the whole point of the member picture thread is to enable members to get to know each other better, which they're not going to be able to do if fifteen posts of back and forth is considered excessive spamming.

not to mention the OP says "No more spammy posts". That's pretty god damned extreme.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Damn, I'm really bad at this whole 'I'M DONE WITH THIS CONVERSATION' thing.

But yes, there HAS been spam like this in various topics, not just the MPD topic (which was admittedly a bad example), but yeah, this has been previously discussed in the Staff forum, and I made this topic to give you guys a heads up.

I could have been less inflammatory yes, but as someone who mods a few forums, I sometimes forget the attitude of this one (which, no offense, you guys are cool, but some of the other forums I frequent has the thick skin to take something like this, and not at face value either. I have to watch my words here.)

not to mention the OP says "No more spammy posts". That's pretty god damned extreme.

I changed it.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I could have been less inflammatory yes, but as someone who mods a few forums, I sometimes forget the attitude of this one (which, no offense, you guys are cool, but some of the other forums I frequent has the thick skin to take something like this, and not at face value either. I have to watch my words here.)

To be completely honest, many of us are doing our best not to act like complete assholes like we do on other forums/or did in the past.

This is a forum that's doing it's best to be drama and quarrel free. Acting like a shithead is not conducive to that kind of atmosphere.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
And that's fine. I'm not saying any less of you guys. It's just that I can say some things on other forums and everyone would go like 'Hahaha, Mog, that guy is such a josher, calling us dickheads', and here I'd get 'YOU'RE A SHITHEAD DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO INFLAMMATORY'.

Different of attitudes in different places.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Those forums probably haven't had anywhere near as many power abusing staff members in their collective memories. This forum is what it is, and complaining about that isn't likely to change anything.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I'm not complaining, I'm just stating it offhand. It doesn't particularly bother me. Thanks anyway.

kunoichi

dead
Thanks mog, your making it sound like I've killed something. It's funny how I've not had a serious pm ticking me off ( the only pm that I've got that states about spam of late was when I spoke to tets and he was talking about mumble and BBM.) I'm not 100 % spam bot, I do realise when it's starting to go off and I get back to the topic or leave. I haven't offended anyone to my knowledge nor have I gone out my way to destroy a thread, I'm just having a bit of fun with some posting. /Rant over

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Well, I never mentioned you specifically, and I'm glad you didn't kill anything. That would result in legal trouble that would be outside my scope of power to help you with.

Thanks for reading, though.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Good job keeping it predominantly civil guys. :monster:

In regards to spam, especially within the General Discussion section, it must be monitored differently than the other boards. Depending on the actual topic at hand, discussion will inevitably be derailed or side-tracked. Threads like MPD or Chit Chat must be monitored casually. Spam within such threads should be excused, for it will only further develop the community as long as it remains civil. Should members get out of hand, or spam for pages on end, then perhaps a friendly reminder to stop spamming or a verbal warning would be appropriate. But, taking further action really isn't necessary, unless they ignore your initial reminder or verbal.

It has been agreed upon by all current staff members that a spam section will not and never will be created. Spam itself isn't really bad, but an entire spam section will inevitably be a distraction from the main point of the forum. ACF's spam section was pretty much its underworld and members who frequented the section developed their own subculture, which divided the community. This is just something we do not wish to replicate.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
People please if it's that important just warn me, the cracker,and the loli. Cracker's just out here to take the piss and stand up to her e-friend is all why she signed up for lulz. If you think it's wrong, then just warn us. No need to be shy and all.

kunoichi

dead
I doubt this cracker has done much damage to get a warning, not sure what your going on about there clown.

[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=579.msg22438#msg22438 date=1235478046]
But you are an supervillain D=
[/quote]

Don't encourage him :duhard:

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I'm taking the piss by taking the children down with me :monster:

Tetsujin: And don't forget it ;D

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
You lot suck, :monster:.

I agree with the topic of this post however, as I've indicated in the mod section as well. We're pretty lenient when it comes to spam already, but (I feel) we have to draw a line somewhere. I find a one-to-one conversation of one-liners between people in a thread that's got a completely different topic than the one they're discussing (and no, not the GC thread) a pretty solid place to draw said line.

And no, I'm not in favor of a spam section, it'll draw a lot of activity - that is, compared to other sections - to itself, but without the content. I know, spam can be fun and whatnot, but I think that we've all grown past that by now.

There's also a rule on the subject, which, lucky for us, can be interpreted quite widely, but here's what I believe is the main point:

* Less continuous one-lined (or half-lined) posts
* Less off-topic posts

I don't mind a one-liner or an off-topic post every once in a while, hell, it's fun and shit, I do it all the time (to my own shame, I have to admit), but it becomes shit when it continues for ten posts on end - or ten pages, as is the case with the 'random facts' thread in GC. I've made a verbal note about the one-liners in there twice now, hoping to encourage larger, less spam-game-style posts, and I hope that'll do the trick.

Also, I find it awesome that I can post in closed threads without getting a reply, :monster:.

Finally, I'd like to make sure that I support the moderator(s) that have brought this issue up. Whilst I do agree that the People are the ones that run a forum and, as such, should be allowed to determine what is allowed and what isn't, I also believe it's the task of a forum's leaders - mainly me, Mako and X - to find the balance between what a forum's members want, and what would be good for the forum - both for its current users and for people that visit it.

I don't think neither our current users nor potential future users would like to remain active in a forum whose topics quit being about said topics after a few pages, or when they have to scroll through two people's personal conversations / entertainments for half a page or more to get back to a topic's main topic - if ever. It's a bit of quality control, one might say, and whilst I'm sure there's people that would much rather like to spend their time on here socializing with their e-friends, I'm going to go against them and say 'nay, thou'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom