(*Open Spoilers*) Hidden nods/winks to the Original Game

clowd

Pro Adventurer
Anyone notice Red XIII briefly pose in the same position as his original artwork?

mBm5mIn.jpg

DutchDread

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Dutch Dread
Nice, it's small stuff like that that makes me hope they're not gonna really change the other episodes of the remake, despite destiny being undone.

RhinoKart

Pro Adventurer
Before Cloud enters Seventh Heaven for the first time you can trigger some NPC dialogue about Barret kicking them [the NPC's] out of the bar. For sure a throw back to the original since in Remake that doesn't make any sense given that Tifa and Marlene react to Barret's arrival in the cutscene.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
In Chapter 4, Barret says “Ain’t no stoppin this train we’re on, son.”

Which again, continues the Remake tradition of “We’ll reference that moment you like, but won’t let you see the whole thing just yet”

Very close to the classic “There Ain't No Gettin Offa This Train We On!” he says later in the game.

RhinoKart

Pro Adventurer
In Chapter 4, Barret says “Ain’t no stoppin this train we’re on, son.”

Which again, continues the Remake tradition of “We’ll reference that moment you like, but won’t let you see the whole thing just yet”

Very close to the classic “There Ain't No Gettin Offa This Train We On!” he says later in the game.

Although that line made me feel worse when we cut a train in half in Chapter 18....

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Seriously speaking, that Cloud tear scene in Chapter 9 is going to end up being one of the most critical moments in the Remake saga. Calling it now.

Years from now, we're going to be looking back at that scene as the scene that gave it all away. Intentionality of that magnitude cannot be ignored.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Real talk. When I was initially begrudgingly accepting of the Whispers, I thought about they were a new way of depicting Sephiroth clones :huh:

It was a simpler time then... u_u

Them being agents of the planet is like the weirdest kick in the nuts because since when did the planet wear black cloaks?

Their outfit only makes sense if you interpret their black robes as a reference to maybe a judge or executioner's robe outfit or something. Like literal arbiters or judges of time and all.

But yeah, it definitely feels like a theoretical sucker punch. I originally thought they were cursed spirits corrupted by Sephiroth's influence, waiting to be born into the world :monster:

AllGoodInMyHood

Pro Adventurer
AKA
TomTom
Two things I've seen (both here and elsewhere on the internet):

View attachment 6821

You forgot the moment where Aerith tells Cloud that maybe she should go ahead and leave him all alone. That blends well with screenshots you've just provided.

Them being agents of the planet is like the weirdest kick in the nuts because since when did the planet wear black cloaks?

Spirits that can't go back to Lifestream because they're tainted by Jenova? That blends well with the cries of the planet from OG.

It's an interesting theory, but time will tell...

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think that the Whispers are still intentional callbacks to the original Black Cloaked men, actually.

They're still representative of a call towards reunion, but Remake is separating the Whispers as the agents of the planet's metaphorical reunion which exist as a part of preserving the natural cycle of life & death, whereas the Sephiroth copies are the physical versions, and are representing Jenova's literal reunion of the living with copies of the dead.

Lots and lots of tl;dr about this in that thing that I just wrote. :awesomonster:

Related, I am really glad that "This Guy Are Sick" got to be the unnamed Sephiroth copy who played a pivotal role. I have no idea if the Japanese dev folk knew about how much of a meme he was in the US version, but it's cool getting to have him get some explicit spotlight in an indirect way this early on, rather than just being an obscure "remember that dude in the pipe from the last game" that it would have been otherwise.

I loved that all of the old Wall Market quests were there as miscellaneous busywork, so that that section felt new and also nostalgic.

X:neo:

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Wasn't magnify the "all" materia, just renamed?

Kind of. Magnify-Fire, for instance, requires you to hit the first target before ricocheting onto two other targets with the first target being the new origin point. Fire-All affects every target simultaneously, and can be cast on up to 6 targets (aka all possible targets in a single “side”). 7R also has splash damage and other things to consider, so it makes sense that All has been replaced by something that works with the new system (in my D&D materia system I divided All into 4 different types of AoE: cone, line, sphere, and storm, and then added All as a legendary materia that could target up to as many creatures as you could see.)

I liked that there was a nod to its existence though ^_^

Mr. Dolphin

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Hopefully this qualifies - one of my favorite winks to the OG was this exchange in Chapter 8 right before you traverse the rooftops:

Aerith: Shall we mosey on over?
Cloud: Let's.

Also, I can't remember if mosey appears in the game before she says it here, but that would be really sweet if Cloud starts saying mosey more in upcoming episodes because he heard Aerith use it first

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Hopefully this qualifies - one of my favorite winks to the OG was this exchange in Chapter 8 right before you traverse the rooftops:

Aerith: Shall we mosey on over?
Cloud: Let's.

Also, I can't remember if mosey appears in the game before she says it here, but that would be really sweet if Cloud starts saying mosey more in upcoming episodes because he heard Aerith use it first
Yeah that one put a big dumb smile on my face.

Top Bottom