Original Final Fantasy VII players: did you get the game new for PSX?

Original Final Fantasy VII players: did you get the game new for PSX?

• I bought a genuine, unopened copy for PSX (or someone bought it for me)

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • I played the game some other way

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
Isn't cool how vivid those memories are? I can't recall half the shit I did two weeks ago, but I remember renting Tobal No. 1 from Blockbuster to play the demo in '96 after reading about it in EGM magazine. Tobal pissed me off because the quest mode had weapons that broke in 10 hits. I think that blocked out any recollection of the demo, because I completely forgot about the game until all the kids in study hall were talking about bird racing and snowboarding and this crazy giant building mission. So I bought the game at the local Babbage's with Birthday money in late September.

I got through most of disc one, but stopped playing after the glacier area, probably to play outside sports and Madden. I must have picked it back up in Mid-Late October, cause I can vividly remember bringing my sister's 13" Sony Trinitron (the picture was far superior to my early 90s used Goldstar TV) downstairs from her room to finish the game while watching the UNC / Florida State football game, which according to wiki was November 8th, 1997. UNC got trounced, but on my second try I saved the world.

SocraticMethod

Ex ACFer
AKA
ticalmc2k2
Piracy on the PS1 was not rampant back in late 97. And copying PS1 discs wasn't as simple as a music CD.

Got it for my 13th birthday (Halloween) in early November 97. My dad didn't wanna get it for me and I had to pay half for it. I used the rest of my birthday money to buy a memory card for it.

AKA
Alex
No, I rented it from a Blockbuster a few months/a year after it came out. Got stuck on the trip to Wall Market (couldn't figure out that I had to run up a piece of wood that blended into the environment) and spent a day grinding Limit Breaks up to max before I finally gave up in frustration and returned the game.

I didn't play and beat the game fully (100% run, minus getting the Masamune in the Saucer) until two years ago. I have the Steam copy, still, but I went full purist for it and played a PS1 ROM.

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
I got the PC version from my father, out of the blue, who got it from a friend who apparently told him how good it was. (Counts as second-hand, I guess?)
I must've been 10 or 11 (meaning it must've been either 1999 or 2000), because my parents were already divorced.
All I remember vividly is my excitement and wanting to play all the time and how much I loved all the characters and how I cried when Aerith died and... :'(

Later I bought the PS1-version as well, because I swapped from PC to Laptop and my Laptop couldn't handle games. But I bought that second-hand, as well.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
I bought and played the original PAL version for the PS1, the hilariously bad translated to Spanish one, in 1998.
I had a PS1 for Tekken 3 and fighting games, FFVII was the first JRPG I completed. I tried Vandal hearts and Suikoden before but didn't play for long (it didn't help that my English wasn't good back then).
I still have my copy at my mom's.
Edit: typos. Lots of them.

Last edited:
CatonMars, you're Spanish too?
I wonder how many of you ESL people on here mastered your English through video games?
I thought I was going to get a French download of the Remake and was prepared to play it, too, but it automatically went to English.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
CatonMars, you're Spanish too?
Why yes, I am. That "too" makes me curious, are Spaniards common here?

I wonder how many of you ESL people on here mastered your English through video games?
Too many because here we get English as second language since middle school but the teaching materials suck, many teachers suck (I've had only one teacher that was a fluent English speaker, as in "going every other weekend to England to meet English speaking friends" fluent). In my case, heavy metal lyrics and videogames helped me inmensely to level up my English skills.

I thought I was going to get a French download of the Remake and was prepared to play it, too, but it automatically went to English.
I plan on getting multiple languages downloads, I need a chance to practice French and learn some German (they got dubs, we just got subtitles).

Last edited:

Reeve's Mullet

Lv. 1 Adventurer
I was in college (another codger here). Got the black label original on release. Before that, we got the demo, which had a few different bits of dialogue than what wound up in the actual game. And I would have sworn there were subtle changes here and there with dialogue between the black label and later releases. Unfortunately, I wore my black label discs out so I can’t verify for sure.

I’m actually surprised I remember that much of my undergrad years, drunken blur that they were.

Top Bottom