Overview of Theories

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
I started creating these diagrams for the recent "So where do we stand on the big remake mystery now?" thread, but I ended up with so many that I decided to give them their own thread.

Two years ago I wrote an article for TLS outlining the theories surrounding Remake at the time. I wish I had spent more time on the wording, but I'm happy to see that the core ideas still hold up. Think of this thread as an update to that article. I've seen some version of every theory outlined below on this very site. Please let me know how to improve the diagrams for clarity. I love technicalities!

We got five main theories and four variants to get through. Let's get to it. Also, triple post incoming. Gotta work around the image limit.

I. Multiverse

The Beagle and Terrier universes exist as separate realities at different points in time (i.e., December 0007 in Beagle occurs simultaneously with September 0007 in Terrier). Small variations exist between the universes, such as Stamp's breed. The defeat of the Whispers allows for Zack to survive in the Terrier universe. As a side note, Aerith's "other memories" and the mysterious Sephiroth come from another universe altogether in this theory. One where the events of the original game have already happened.

1656569794487.png

II. Terrier Overwrite (i.e., history was changed)

There is only one universe in this theory. The Singularity connects two points across time. The defeat of the Whispers allows for Zack to survive, but history and/or characters are overwritten to avoid paradoxes. This also causes Stamp's design to change. Alternatively, instead of a single universe, it's speculated that the Terrier universe has always existed and merged into the Beagle universe at the end of Remake.

1656570231047.png

III. Zack is dead

There is only one universe in this theory. The Singularity connects two points across time. All scenes of Zack's victory and beyond are actually of him "in the afterlife", either inside lifestream or as a ghost in the real world.

1656570316142.png

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
IV. Diverging Universes

There is a "source" universe in this theory. The Singularity connects two points across time. The defeat of the Whispers allows for a diverging universe where Zack survives.

1656571883640.png

IVa. Diverging Universes (Zack crosses over)

A variation of the diverging universe theory, except Zack "crosses over" to the Beagle universe at some point after his last stand. This places him in the same universe as the party

1656571913146.png

IVb. Diverging Universes (the party crosses over)

Another variation of the diverging universe theory, except the party "crosses over" to the Terrier universe when exiting the Singularity. This places the party in the same universe as Zack. It's commonly speculated that the versions of the party already living in the Terrier universe are overwritten in this theory, as well as other parts in history.

1656571962435.png

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
V. Parallel Universes

The Beagle and Terrier universes exist as separate, parallel realities. Small variations exist between the universes, such as Stamp's breed. The Singularity connects two points across the universes. The defeat of the Whispers allows for Zack to survive in the Terrier universe.

1656572059012.png

Va. Parallel Universes (Zack crosses over)

A variation of the parallel universe theory, except Zack "crosses over" to the Beagle universe at some point after his last stand. This places him in the same universe as the party

1656572087662.png

Vb. Parallel Universes (the party crosses over)

Another variation of the parallel universe theory, except the party "crosses over" to the Terrier universe when exiting the Singularity. This places the party in the same universe as Zack. It's commonly speculated that the versions of the party already living in the Terrier universe are overwritten in this theory, as well as other parts in history.

1656572120779.png

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Remake really turned us into this

back-to-the-future-explain.gif

conspiracy-theory.gif

winona-ryder-confused.gif

Golden Ear

Pro Adventurer
AKA
M. Prod
Thanks for making these clear and concise!

I think the II Terrier Overwrite Theory has a few variations that I can think of:

A) Party Carries Over (Terrier leads to new but similar outcome)

Cloud and Party (in the Singularity) who were in the Beagle Timeline are the only ones who carried over into the now overwritten Terrier Timeline which has now went through it's own sequence of events that lead to very similar results (seeing Rufus and Shinra + Hojo scenes at the end).

These events (the scenes we see of Rufus and Shinra + Hojo ect) are either fast forwarded in time or they occurred much earlier in this new Terrier Timeline compared to when we experienced the Remake Beagle version of events that would also lead to a very similar result. This seems to be the variation that you list.

B) Timelines Smooshed Together (Paradoxes be damned)

The two timelines basically just got smooshed together so that there is a new stamp breed, Zack is now alive carrying an alternate version of Cloud and possibly other changes while all or almost all of the characters and events that Cloud and Party met during Remake (beagle) also carried over or have memories of beagle events.

So going forward Roche remembers Cloud, Rufus and all the Turks remember Cloud, Marlene remembers Barret leaving and promising to come back ect. Any paradoxes involving duplicated characters (other than the one we see of Cloud) are dismissed and we just don't deal with them.

B variation II) Timelines Smooshed Together (Duplicates die or Vanish)

Same thing but there are duplicates of the Main Cast of characters from the timelines being smooshed together but they either vanish or die (thus Zack walking into the church alluding to a dead Aerith that was once in the Terrier Timeline while the Beagle Aerith is the only one that lives here now). The Cloud that Zack was carrying either vanishes or die as well as a result ect.

If there are more variations of II Terrier Overwrite Theory by all means feel free to outline them.

C) We just affected the past, single Buster Sword or additional Buster Sword Materializes

We just changed the past so Zack survived and maybe some slight changes like the stamp bag. The scene of Zack going to the church happens before the Mako Reactor 1 Bombing Run and before Zack gives the Buster Sword to Cloud. It is assumed something happened to Zack that is yet to be determined.

or

Zack is just alive now and a 2nd Buster Sword is just seamlessly materialized for Cloud and party going forward as well as the existence of the one Zack carries. Zack is concurrently at the church while the Party head to Kalm.

Everything is Memories within the Lifestream (almost everything)

There is also a Theory floating around that everything we are experiencing is just memories within the Lifestream and the only true physical reality is at the Edge if Creation which is Gaia as a barren planet after all life is dead. I don't know much of the specifics of this theory though.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
A) Party Carries Over (Terrier leads to new but similar outcome)

I believe this is close enough to Parallel Universes (the party crosses over), but I do see the distinction you're making. I've added "It's commonly speculated that the versions of the party already living in the Terrier universe are overwritten in this theory, as well as other parts in history" to both IVb and Vb to try and catch what you're describing.

B) Timelines Smooshed Together (Paradoxes be damned)

B variation II) Timelines Smooshed Together (Duplicates die or Vanish)

I tried to write these from an unbiased standpoint, but truthfully, I avoided having to explain "character overwriting" or "duplicate characters" as much as possible. I find both ideas... unflattering.

It's really difficult to explain. Some people who push for it even say "just don't think about it, I doubt the devs did", undercutting the very storytellers who created one of their favorite worlds of all time... But I digress.

However, I did pick up on one thing I thought I'd account for. The way you described the universes "smooshing together" makes it sound the Terrier universe always existed in the Terrier Overwrite scenario. Since "merging" is like "overwriting" and the general outcome is the same, I won't make a new diagram for it. The variants of the other main theories get their own diagrams because they lead to dramatically different outcomes (namely whether or not Zack and the party occupy the same universe).

I've decided to add "It's also speculated that the Terrier universe always existed and merged into the Beagle universe" to the Terrier Overwrite scenario to hopefully catch this.

C) We just affected the past, single Buster Sword or additional Buster Sword Materializes

Again, this sounds like it's using Terrier Overwrite as it's base. And since the general outcome is the same, I won't make a new diagram. However, I will comment on my placement of Zack's church scene.

It's generally believed that the people at the church are refugees from the Sector 7 platefall. I don't agree and think a big deal should be made out of the framing of Aerith's absence, but to each their own for now. Regardless, I think most people would place Zack's church scene after the Singularity, seeing as the Sector 7 platefall happened the day prior and the party was walking around Sectors 5 and 6 that whole day. So for simplicity I placed it at the same time as the party's arrival at Kalm.

Everything is Memories within the Lifestream (almost everything)

I gotta draw a line somewhere, and "everything is a memory" seems like a good spot.

Last edited:

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
III. Zack is dead

There is only one universe in this theory. The Singularity connects two points across time. All scenes of Zack's victory and beyond are actually of him "in the afterlife", either inside lifestream or as a ghost in the real world.

View attachment 12661

Somewhat of an addendum to this is the idea that scenes of "Zack's Victory" and subsequent travels are part of a delusion. The alternate stamp bag is perhaps an indicator of said delusion, like the color of red in The Sixth Sense. But on the whole, Zack's post-death embodiment is less The Sixth Sense and more a kind of Fight Club-esq manifestation of said delusion.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
III. Zack is dead

This should honestly be called, the "Zack is in Hell" theory. Because that's the only way it makes sense. What kind of afterlife is that? Where you're tricked into thinking you're alive, carrying a duplicate of your friend, and just wandering the hereafter with elaborate facsimiles of life?

The answer?

That's Hell.

LOL what the fuck? Why would the Lifestream have a Twilight Zone-esque depiction of Hell, and why is Zack there? :monster:

Makes no sense for Zack to somehow be dead and not know it.

I don't think the Terrier timeline is a normal one, nor one that is as "real" as the original, main one. But I don't think it's the "afterlife." It doesn't make sense.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I don't think the Terrier timeline is a normal one, nor one that is as "real" as the original, main one.

This is basically where I am yeah, I don't think Zack is around for the crew to physically run into but a second Aerith, a fifth Sephiroth, another Vincent still in a coffin, another Reeve and Barret that need to show error of their ways by travelling together, and all the other baggage that full blown second timeline equal to our own would come with I can't imagine the story is gonna want to deal with.

waw

Pro Adventurer
This is basically where I am yeah, I don't think Zack is around for the crew to physically run into but a second Aerith, a fifth Sephiroth, another Vincent still in a coffin, another Reeve and Barret that need to show error of their ways by travelling together, and all the other baggage that full blown second timeline equal to our own would come with I can't imagine the story is gonna want to deal with.
I've had this thought a lot. Just flashes/glimpses of that rival party and timeline. A sort of "What If" that might help inform our actions or something. I still just... I don't know if that would be satisfying for hte amount of work they're putting in. I really can't tell where they're going to go with this.

Top Bottom