• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Remake's is battle system is broken

Serge

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Having played the game up to Aeris' rescue mission, I had hopes for far smoother battles. Hacking and slashing is alot of fun, but once you have to open up menus for EVERY special action, and EVERY character separately, the battles quickly start to get tedious. Using quick commands just creates more problems than it solves. You only have four or five quick commands for each character, leaving most of the actions unaccessible for quick play. (Wanting to cast a curaga instead of cure forced me to dig deeper.) And as you're bound to sometimes change quick commands, memorizing them is near impossible. I have enough trouble controlling my characters as it is, getting attack the same enemy to reduce their numbers, and it's very tiring to constantly maintain L2 (block) while choosing a quick command. (Why is there is no toggle option for blocking??)

So I really enjoyed some of the fight mechanics, but the limited things you can perform instantly makes the game ask... is this worth my time?

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I thought R1 was block?

Anyway it's best not to approach it like a hack and slash/action game, I find. Approach it more like a traditional RPG. It's simply that you're doing stuff other than waiting for your turn bar to fill. L2/R2 to issue commands to other party members without actually switching feels pretty efficient to me.
And there may not be a block toggle, but the characters you aren't controlling spend a lot of time blocking. So switching off a character is good way for them to primarily block for awhile.

Serge

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Yeah, sorry, I meant R1. You only have 4 commands you can issue with L2/R2; for 70% of the actions you have to open the menus . How is that efficient?

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I really enjoyed the system and didn't have any of the problems you mentioned. I almost never had to switch shortcuts and whether I even used them just depended on the character, for Tifa I did everything with shortcuts and unbridled strenght as triple X because she's just too much fun to play as an action character. Barret I did everything by menu because I enjoyed him more as a slow strategic thing. Cloud was 50-50.
I always went into menus for curaga because if I had to use curaga that meant everything was going to hell and I could use a breather to orient myself.

Before playing the game I thought I'd do everything by menu and not even use the shortcuts, now I am loving the combination, although I do wish I had more shortcuts.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
No, L1 is the four shortcut commands. L2/R2 lets you access the menus for your other party members without having to actually switch to the character in question. That's what I was describing as efficient.
I never used L2 and R2 to immediately go to a specific character, always just went into menu with whatever button I happened to press, and then maneuvered to the correct character from whichever character I happened to land on.

Would have preferred two different shortcut buttons.

Serge

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Would have preferred two different shortcut buttons.

Exactly! That's what I would have wanted too. Because only the way I've been able to handle the shortcuts is to assign only one type of actions to one character, for example, only offensive spells to Cloud [Aero, Thunder, Aeroga, Firaga], benign spells to Tifa [Cure, Cura, Regen, Haste], and physical attacks to Barret [Focused Shot, Smackdown, Uppercut, Maximum Fury].

If Square had made two different shortcut buttons, you could (for instance) assign one with only offensive spells, and another with only benign spells, so that would be easy to remember.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Exactly! That's what I would have wanted too. Because only the way I've been able to handle the shortcuts is to assign only one type of actions to one character, for example, only offensive spells to Cloud [Aero, Thunder, Aeroga, Firaga], benign spells to Tifa [Cure, Cura, Regen, Haste], and physical attacks to Barret [Focused Shot, Smackdown, Uppercut, Maximum Fury].

If Square had made two different shortcut buttons, you could (for instance) assign one with only offensive spells, and another with only benign spells, so that would be easy to remember.

Yeah, I'd want one button for offensive, and one for defensive as well. But I don't think I'd often use curaga and firaga type spells through short cuts.

Right now I usually had X as a defensive shortcut, Triangle as an offensive one, Circle and square as versatility.

For instance, Tifa had chakra on x, dive kick on triangle, focus strike on circle, and overpower on square. With unbridled strength being quickly accessible through XXX without using shortcuts.
For any other option, such as "stop", I didn't mind using the menu.
Would still prefer to shortcut buttons though, although I suspect they've tried several set-ups and this set-up tested best by the majority of test-players.

Serge

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Right now I usually had X as a defensive shortcut, Triangle as an offensive one, Circle and square as versatility.

For instance, Tifa had chakra on x, dive kick on triangle, focus strike on circle, and overpower on square. With unbridled strength being quickly accessible through XXX without using shortcuts.

I find that would just be confusing, and I'd have to remember which spell or attack is the shortcut and which ones aren't. Much easier to remember, if all 4 buttons are some offensive spell, or all 4 buttons are some benign spells, as if having a "job" for each character.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
I find that would just be confusing, and I'd have to remember which spell or attack is the shortcut and which ones aren't. Much easier to remember, if all 4 buttons are some offensive spell, or all 4 buttons are some benign spells, as if having a "job" for each character.
I didn't have that issue because the layout felt like it naturally corresponded to the type of action.
The reason that X was defensive for me is because it's the button closest to me, it feels like withdrawing, while pushing triangle corresponds to going forward, an offensive motion. Then circle and Square remain corresponding to strafing or some other lateral maneuver that is meant to be neither offensive, nor defensive, but to put you in a better position, aka, utility.

Since spells and the like automatically make me think "strategy" instead of "reflex" I don't even want them as short cuts, Aerith had them as shortcuts I think, but I never used them through shortcuts because it feels wrong. Aside from chakra, healing and other spells don't feel like "in the moment, speed is of the essence" options, they feel like things you do when you have a breather, when you fall back from the battle and take the time to think and reorient, same thing with items.

kathy202

Pro Adventurer
I didn't need anymore than 2 shortcuts for Barret and Cloud. For Tifa, having 8 instead of 4 would've been nice, though I might have trouble remembering them haha. And I didn't use shortcuts for Aerith at all.

Also, being able to slow down with the menu helps for the harder fights too, which was the reason I removed healing and support abilities from my shortcuts. I find that once I need to rely on them, it's easier to just slow things down and breathe.

Serge

Lv. 1 Adventurer
Maybe it's best to reserve the shortcuts for commands that require frequently use, and particularly the ones for which you don't have to choose a target. For example, Tifa's Unbridled strenght requires frequent use to power up her special attack, and the team's healer can use chakra to cure himself without having to choose a target.

Offensive spells are a bad business to use with shortcuts, because that way you'll drain your MP very quickly.

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
Maybe it's best to reserve the shortcuts for commands that require frequently use, and particularly the ones for which you don't have to choose a target. For example, Tifa's Unbridled strenght requires frequent use to power up her special attack, and the team's healer can use chakra to cure himself without having to choose a target.

Offensive spells are a bad business to use with shortcuts, because that way you'll drain your MP very quickly.
You shouldn't put unbridled strength as a shortcut though IMO, since you can already speed select it by simply pressing X three times.

Serge

Lv. 1 Adventurer
If one must use shortcuts for offensive spells, I'd go with the weakest versions only. (The others drain your MP too quickly.)

It's too bad there isn't any training ground where one can take on lots weak enemies and become fluent with the buttons. (Corneo Colossum only allows you to fight with two characters.)

Top Bottom