SE cancels several in-development games

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
Kotaku said:
Square Enix has cancelled multiple in-development titles, according to the company's latest financial forecast. These games were binned as the company is "introducing a tightened selection standard regarding title lineup to strengthen the revenue base of the Company's digital entertainment segment". The name/franchise of the cancelled titles was not disclosed.

source

Ruh roe, somebody's running out of cash.

I guess they'll just have to outsource more games to China, 'cause that worked so well the first time. :awesome:

What, you've finally realized spending time to make one really good game will work out better than making a bunch of crappy ones?

lolololol

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Final Fantasy Agito XIII still has a chance of being made though (because its for mobile phones).

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
XIII Versus - CANCELED

:awesome:

I will cut a bitch.

The sad thing? My initial reaction would be WTF? But then I'd laugh cause that sounds about right.

Final Fantasy Agito XIII still has a chance of being made though (because its for mobile phones).

They changed it to the PSP, like, a while back. Or is this sarcasm that went over my head? You didn't use an awesome face or cookie monster, so I'm not sure. :awesome: :monster:

Either way, I still appreciate the sad humor in your statement.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Mobile gaming platforms then. Its still well within SE's tragically safe stomping grounds.

Not going to lie though, perhaps this is a step in the right direction for the company. If they focus less on delivering Nier's and Last Remnant's then maybe we will see their efforts concentrated towards something really good.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Square-Enix has been focusing way too much on quantity over quality.

Cancel XIII-2 and any KH spin-offs in the making, please? :awesome:

Tifabelle

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tifabelle, Nathan Drake, Locke Cole, Kain Highwind, Yamcha, Arya Stark
Mobile gaming platforms then. Its still well within SE's tragically safe stomping grounds.

Yeah, your general point wasn't lost on me, I just wasn't sure.

Not going to lie though, perhaps this is a step in the right direction for the company. If they focus less on delivering Nier's and Last Remnant's then maybe we will see their efforts concentrated towards something really good.

I've always clinged to hope (and I still do). But how many times have we said stuff like this though :(

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
What, you've finally realized spending time to make one really good game will work out better than making a bunch of crappy ones?

lolololol

Actually I think this approach is what landed them in this mess to be honest. I liked them better when they released new games quickly and consistently, the Brave Musashi, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Saga Frontier, days of old rather than pooling in ALL their money and capital towards one giant game that may or may not suck dick (Final Fantasy XIII).

They need to go back to their previous strategy of having multiple development teams doing their own thing, pumping out game after game that's something for everyone.

Elisa Maza

Whomst
Why am I thinking that they cut the games that they thought won't give them profit ONLY, regardless of quality?

Because, if they still release FFXIII-2, then these news are not good. Not good at all.

I posted in a previous thread that "changing polices" for SE would actually mean "taking the safe route by releasing only mainstream titles, nothing new and innovating, we won't change, we won't try. Oh, and screw the ratings, we want money!".

With these thoughts in mind, I hope what Deadpool said would be correct, but the downer in me has serious doubts.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
In other words, they most likely canceled everything that isn't part of any FF and KH compilation? :monster:

Unfortunately, this is probably true. :(

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
It'd be hilarious if the majority of games cancelled were ones not even announced yet.

Which, actually, I suppose would make sense considering their refusal to disclose what those games were. And then when someone finds out what those games were they turn out to be generally anticipated in the communities. "FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
LOL SE.

images

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
I'm just curious, what are other titles they have that don't make money? I feel like everything they make makes money. :monster:

*other than FF and KH

Weren't they developing a fighting game for a higher platform or something? Or did they already release it. :huh:

Well, it would be a fine remake, till the part of Cloud's flashback and they'll add in Genesis. :awesome:

No thank you. :monster: They should retcon Genesis just so we have a huge new plothole to build more FFVII theories into.

Top Bottom