• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

SE "intimidated" by FFVII remake

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Hey, Square-Enix:

flyingpunch_zpsf31b3552.gif

Telcontar

Donator
I believe Kitase more recently said that going back to 7 would mean that they're officially out of ideas or are in a desperate situation or something like that.

Graphically they [Final Fantasy games] weren’t as advanced as they are now, but there were lots of towns and worlds and cities and whatever. So if we were to recreate the same kind of game – sequel or not – with the same volume, but give it a much higher level of graphical quality, it would us take three times, four times, even ten times longer to make such a game. So making a sequel for an old game would be a lot more challenging.

I am not mad at all for Square being intimidated, deciding to shy away from FFVII out of pride
(I can actually see some value in that and I understand where they are coming from)
and all that. What annoys me is the repeatedly exaggerated production time. Maybe the way Kitase phrases it is due to company politics. If he was more transparent, in terms of admitting that the company needs to improve with project planning and coordination, fans would like him more but his bosses would get angry at him for making the company sound weak. Just my speculation.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The problem for SE is that gamers have made it known that they wanted a FFFVII remake ever since the graphics got just a twinge more life-like. The fact that gamers keep comparing new titles to FFVII, is a huge indication that that's what they want. I think that what SE does realize is that how well a FFVII remake is received would make or break the FF franchise; if the majority of gamers like it, SE would gain a lot of faith back, if a FFVII remake is not well received, SE would loose a lot of credibility, and gamers would hold it against them forever. What I don't think SE gets is that players would probably stop comparing new titles to FFVII if there was a FFVII remake, as players would finally have what they've been asking SE for for almost two decades. It would at least get it out of the way, and gamers would finally know that SE is done with the FFVII franchise.

The problem is that SE doesn't see much benefit in risking their reputation on what most people consider is the best (or at least, the best known) game in their most well-know franchise.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Hell, given the way they coordinate and communicate (they apparently don't), those exaggerated times might be true for a remake at the graphical quality of XIII or XVersus. But I'm pretty sure most people would be happy with something at the level of X's original release from 12 years ago or something in the style of KH.

When they've done ground-up 3D remakes of III, IV, KH:CoM and KH:Coded, as well as essentially remade the original KH, X and X-2 (all within a couple years of announcement), it's slightly hard to believe that FFVII is beyond their capacity.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, even if those times would be accurate for them, that's a problem with THEM that they need to address, not the nature of the game. Any competant developer could do it in less than a decade. Skyrim took, what, 5 years? And that's with a jamillion questlines and a fully explorable map. You could still give FF7 a traditional world map and people would be fine with it. Hell, if it means I can fly my airship I'd PREFER it.

It should not take more than 5-6 years to make a game with a directed narrative, a dozen towns, and a laughable fraction of the dungeons in a game like Skyrim.

Sorry Kitase, try again.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
86411-girl-on-bus-middle-finger-gif-qvMg.gif
@ SE

We should probably create a sub-forum for these we-won't-remake-VII articles. They say it ALL the time.

Lex

Administrator
They do. But I feel the need to point out that this article was posted in 2011. Not that that makes it any less relevant, but I'm willing to bet it's been discussed on here before.

They do. But I feel the need to point out that this article was posted in 2011. Not that that makes it any less relevant, but I'm willing to bet it's been discussed on here before.

Silly me! I read "November 29" and thought "Well I guess it's November 29, 2013 now". I saw what I expected to see.

S and G

FFVII books and stuff
AKA
MJ Gallagher

My bad. It was posted on my FB fan page and I read it without checking the date. Good spot, Lex.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I'm sorry but I think sometimes the FFVII fandom goes out of their way to get angry and offended at Square about a remake. We hunt and sniff at any possible discussion on its existence despite Square saying they don't want too. Let the friggin conversation die, they will stop talking about it, we'll stop constantly thinking out it, and we still have a wonderful game to play on our computers/PlayStation 3s/PSPs.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I honestly won't be disappointed if they never do it. I just want them to stop giving their fans bullshit excuses for not doing it. If they don't want to remake the game, say that!

Instead, we have to hear how they're right there with the fans in wanting to do it, but the timing would have to be right/it would take too long/too much manpower/would have to be under a full moon on midsummer's eve while the planets are aligned and Halley's Comet is soaring by.

Top Bottom