Sherlock Holmes

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
They made the best crime / mystery series of all time...an action movie?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO /litnerdraeg

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
i enjoy robert downey junior's acting, but im not too sure about the topless fistfighting and explosions. Fails the sauce material quite epically.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Madame, I'd debate you on the point that Arsene Lupin is better, but...

Yeah, this kinda sucks. Awesome as a Holmes movie might be, whyyyyyy? ;_;

Ed: He also looks nothing like Holmes =O /nerd

Last edited:
This looks rather silly.

They're only calling it Sherlock Holmes to increase the profit. They might as well have called it something else.

Might be mildly entertaining the first time watching but I don't see anything special about it.
I'd much rather watch Hallmark's interpretation fgj :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Meh. With the above posters, Sherlock Holmes isn't an action hero. Good actor, I guess, but Sherlock isn't a ladies man or unshaven, let alone does he carry guns (or so I'd like to believe).

I think Sherlock Holmes movies should remain confined to British low or mid-budget detective movies that focus more on the story, narratives, and atmosphere than action sequences or tongue-in-cheek humor.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Is this based off the comic book version?

Seems like it is, what with all of the action scenes and general badassery.

If it turns out to be a good flick I'll give it a thumb up.

Also, lol you guys do know Holmes was well versed in combat, martial arts and whatnot, is described as a sword master, and has used pistols on more than one occasion in the novels and stories right?

I wonder if they touch on the fact that he's an asshole and likes to dabble in a little recreational drug use when he's bored :awesome:

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Yea, I don't think we should judge the film so early. It could still be full of a lot of investigative work and deducting and whatnot.

It's just that action scenes and shirtless Robert Downey are easier to sell than a snob sniffing around a crime scene.

At least, I hope action scenes don't eat up the entire film. It'd be a waste of the character's potential, even so it doesn't hurt to see a new interpretation of the character.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Err.. this looks rather fail. And I was actually looking forward this too ://

Even though Sherlock Holmes *can* fight, the point is, he mostly uses his brain. I also agree that he isn't a lady man. Also, where are his bad traits? He was drug-addicted if I recall right :monster:

Sherlock Holmes's strength does not lies in the action, even if there is some; it relies on atmosphere and lots of uses of brain. I even remember a mystery that Holmes resolved from his home after a bet :monster:

I love R. Downey Jr, and I will definitely watch Ironman 2 like I watched the first, but I'm truly not impressed there. If I want to see Sherlock Holmes, it's not to watch a random action movie >_>

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I want to see his crack addiction too.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
I want to see his ability to fight, use his brains, smoke some weed and crack and fight Prof. Moriarty. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Err.. this looks rather fail. And I was actually looking forward this too ://

Even though Sherlock Holmes *can* fight, the point is, he mostly uses his brain. I also agree that he isn't a lady man. Also, where are his bad traits? He was drug-addicted if I recall right :monster:

He was also arrogant as hell and pretty unkempt.
Sherlock Holmes's strength does not lies in the action, even if there is some; it relies on atmosphere and lots of uses of brain. I even remember a mystery that Holmes resolved from his home after a bet :monster:
Like I said, it's too early to judge the film. And this is just another iteration of the character, clearly he's going to use his mind and detective skills in the film, he's bloody sherlock holmes. But Holmes strength lies in action and investigation. He's not just a smart guy, he's more than capable of defending himself.

Action scenes in trailers just help sell films better.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I've actually heard that Holmes' cocaine use will be a major plot element in the film, though I can't remember where I heard it or from whom.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
Trailers help to sell movies, I agree.. the problem is that this movie looks like a random action movie, which is something I didn't want to see for a Sherlock Holmes movie. :/

I'll await for the critics from my fellow gamers at a French forum, but somehow, I don't think they'll like it. My boss may like it, but then again, he loved Fast and Furious 4 so :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
I wouldn't trust the French to review anything even vaguely related to Britain positively whatsoever. I'd find less bias in the Love Triangle Debate thread.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I wouldn't trust the French to review anything even vaguely related to Britain positively whatsoever. I'd find less bias in the Love Triangle Debate thread.
:hugemonster:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
LOOL, WTF?

We love British series here, thank you very much :monster: I'm personally addicted to Dr Who. Life on Mars, the TV movies for the adaptations of the Discworld serie were also loved - that's what comes on the top of my head, but I know the French TV also airs loads of British mysteries series.

Good movies are good movies. At this forum, I'd also say we love really, really bad movies - we even have a site for them :monster: But mostly, if a movie is good, they'll say it; if it's trash, they'll also say it :monster:

Soon you'll say we can't enjoy british music because we're french? :monster:

My problem with that trailer is that it looks plotless - all those big explosions are rather unwelcomed too. As much as I love R. Downey Jr, I have higher expectations for a Sherlock Holmes movie.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Soon you'll say we can't enjoy british music because we're french?
No I'll say you won't, not can't, enjoy British movies because you're French :P

But seriously, I'm just kidding :monster:

halfhearted

Lv. 25 Adventurer
i think the role of holmes was miscast. it would possibly be better if jude law and robert downey jr switched.

A

Great Old One
Hell yes, I can't wait for the movie. Love RDJ shirtless acting as Sherlock Holmes, the movie looks great. I'll be sure to watch the movie, and hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Top Bottom