Should Square Make One Last Installment In the Compilation or Leave it Hanging?

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
The ending for Dirge of Cerberus and the novel Case of Shinra raised quite a few open ended questions fans might want the answers to.

The Compilation as a whole wasn't great, but it seemed pretty obvious that Square Enix wanted to go somewhere with it. I'd rather they finish it.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
^That's my view. I don't see the end of the Compilation as a kind of open ended easter-egg type thing, I felt that they were going somewhere with it and I'd rather it was concluded, no matter how bad the game might be.

It's like a TV show being cancelled. You really liked the first season but you watch season 2 which massively disappoints and they end it on a cliffhanger with a thousand unanswered questions (I'm looking at you Tru Calling, dunno if anyone watched that).

There was no real "end" to the Compilation, and I'd bet a lot of money that another or final compilation title was among cancelled projects back when the initial XIV disaster happened. I honestly wouldn't mind another VII style ending - VII has maybe the most open-ended ending of any FF game ever, but Vincent realising he's not such a bad guy after all isn't much of an ending to a game series that huge.

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
^That's my view. I don't see the end of the Compilation as a kind of open ended easter-egg type thing, I felt that they were going somewhere with it and I'd rather it was concluded, no matter how bad the game might be.

It's like a TV show being cancelled. You really liked the first season but you watch season 2 which massively disappoints and they end it on a cliffhanger with a thousand unanswered questions (I'm looking at you Tru Calling, dunno if anyone watched that).

There was no real "end" to the Compilation, and I'd bet a lot of money that another or final compilation title was among cancelled projects back when the initial XIV disaster happened. I honestly wouldn't mind another VII style ending - VII has maybe the most open-ended ending of any FF game ever, but Vincent realising he's not such a bad guy after all isn't much of an ending to a game series that huge.

This sounds like tempting fate because when someone uses the words " no matter" it will turn out very bad.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
For me, I'd love to see a proper end cos I felt like I was left hanging especially regarding the turks.I never got my hands on Before Crisis so this is bullshit.

Dragonslayer Ornstein

Pro Adventurer
dltqghxpoevioybnxamk.gif

no, this is why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR4_IzXTXR0

Last edited:

Shimi

Rookie Adventurer
I want them to finish it in some form or another (be it a game, a novel, or whatever). Otherwise, it kinda feels odd. Like when you loose a book you never finished reading, it sits in the back of your mind until those unanswered questions get answered.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
I am not sure. I really liked AC. Even though it was a lot of fan service, it also provided good closure to the story. It was unclear what happened to everyone at the end of FFVII, so it was good to see what the world was like afterwards. Also, it really provided closure for Cloud, as he was able to put all the horrible things that happened, and his guilt concerning Aerith, behind him and start to live a full, normal, life.

Unfortunately, CC and DoC missed the mark. Both had a lot of potential and there are aspects of both that I like, but there was a lot added to them that didn't jive with the original story. I also really didn't like Genesis or Hollander, or the deep ground stuff. All of it was obviously conceived after FFVII and shoved into the lore (haphazardly). CC should have only been about Seph and Zack and their SOLDIER exploits (the turks were fine too, as they were part of Shinra and existed in the OG). I loved the scene where Zack dies in CC because it was in the OG, but re-told in CC. There should have been more stuff like that. Expand on stuff we know about, such as the Wutai war (instead of it just being the epilogue). I don't need stuff on S cells and G cells and whatever else.

I would love a true sequel where the entire cast is playable again. Just creating a party and exploring the world of FFVII would be awesome. I wouldn't have high hopes they would make a compelling story, though. Which isn't necessarily a slight against SE. There just really isn't much story left to tell. They would have to again pull some conflict out of nowhere.

Last edited:

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
As much as I would cringe to see it, I would like to see the Compilation tied up. I also feel that SE was going somewhere with DoC and CC and even though I'm not a big fan of either games, I'm a lesser fan of unfinished work.

If I were to make the final title I would have it be one last "Hurrah!" and bring back the entire main cast and have them kick ass after ass around Gaia as they search for Genesis or whatever. It'd be one big, epic fan service-y mess, but I know we'd love it.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
The direction the remake takes is we-now-have-modern mechanics for these sprites, let's milk them with an FFVII-brand game every two years.

I don't even blame them. Final Fantasy has always been the one thing keeping that company alive.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
I want them to finish it in some form or another (be it a game, a novel, or whatever). Otherwise, it kinda feels odd. Like when you loose a book you never finished reading, it sits in the back of your mind until those unanswered questions get answered.

I fully agree. Either a game or a movie would be great to finish off the entire story. It's such a relief to know that I'm not the only one who wants the Compilation to finish instead of leaving it as a cliff-hanger.

I know what you're saying, and they should make one more sequel to sum up the entire franchise, and make a full CG remake of Before Crisis for Vita at least, because I don't think a 3DS version would work out.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I fully agree. Either a game or a movie would be great to finish off the entire story. It's such a relief to know that I'm not the only one who wants the Compilation to finish instead of leaving it as a cliff-hanger.

I know what you're saying, and they should make one more sequel to sum up the entire franchise, and make a full CG remake of Before Crisis for Vita at least, because I don't think a 3DS version would work out.
Why wouldn't a hypothetical remake of Before Crisis work for the 3DS (or new 3DS)?

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
Sailor Moon, Mini Moon, Hotaru, Cardcaptor Sakura, Meilin, Xion, Kairi, Aqua, Tifa, Aerith, Yuffie, Elena, Misty, May, Dawn, Casey, Fiona, Ellie
It just doesn't seem right, and I'd hate the idea of making the Turks playable in chibi-forms if it was remade for 3DS. Not to mention that it would be extremely awkward in the battle system, and I doubt they'll make it in the similiar way they did for KH Dream Drop Distance.

With Vita or IOS or Andriod, there's a better chance in development for the remake of Before Crisis. Vita sounds better since it's the next level up, considering how the original game is being remade for PS4(Though I have a feeling it'll upgrade to PS5 the way things are going).

It just seems more sense to me if they remade the game on Vita or the next level up. Would've been better if they made it a PS4 game like Dirge of Cerberus.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
I think BC would work fabulously on the 3DS.. plus it would be Square bringing the FF titles back to their original home (completely ignoring other FF titles already on the DS systems :monster )

I liked DoC... but I never played it. I like the story and the characters and know everything that happens, but because of youtube. I hate shooters; I'm way too jumpy. So would I like to see the finish it? Hellz yah.

I didn't get the same impression of Genesis as others did... Yeah he was a bit of a whackjob, but when you see what happens in CC tying the ending of DoC, it obviously alludes to something further... and why not? Genesis was a formidable foe. And how fucked would that be for Cloud to deal with someone from his made-up stolen Zack past?

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I think BC would work fabulously on the 3DS.. plus it would be Square bringing the FF titles back to their original home (completely ignoring other FF titles already on the DS systems :monster )

Maybe, but it really depends on what Square wants to do after the remake of FFVII is finished...

I liked DoC... but I never played it. I like the story and the characters and know everything that happens, but because of youtube. I hate shooters; I'm way too jumpy. So would I like to see the finish it? Hellz yah.

You know, I did the same as you did with DoC, 'cuz I never played the game myself either, but like you, I like the story and the characters, though I was bumbed down when they didn't add Rufus(though he made a quick appearence in the prologue which, canonily, is set during the story line of Case of ShinRa in On the Way to a Smile), and the Turks.

And you've become one of my favorite people who agree with me on wanting the Compilation of FFVII to finish!

I didn't get the same impression of Genesis as others did... Yeah he was a bit of a whackjob, but when you see what happens in CC tying the ending of DoC, it obviously alludes to something further... and why not? Genesis was a formidable foe. And how fucked would that be for Cloud to deal with someone from his made-up stolen Zack past?

Despite having his real memories return, I don't think Cloud actually remembers Genesis since he's encountered him maybe once during CC. It'd be interesting to see his reaction if he fully encounters Genesis who would either be an ally or again an Antagonist again(despite the Ultimedia book stating Genesis's return is to protect the planet stuff, I think it'd be a better idea that his version of protecting it is trying to wipe out humanity and it's up to Cloud and his friends to stop him, and even having to ask for Rufus's help and that the Turks know Genesis more than Cloud does, right?).

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Despite having his real memories return, I don't think Cloud actually remembers Genesis since he's encountered him maybe once during CC. It'd be interesting to see his reaction if he fully encounters Genesis who would either be an ally or again an Antagonist again(despite the Ultimedia book stating Genesis's return is to protect the planet stuff, I think it'd be a better idea that his version of protecting it is trying to wipe out humanity and it's up to Cloud and his friends to stop him, and even having to ask for Rufus's help and that the Turks know Genesis more than Cloud does, right?).

I would not like it if Genesis is conveniently the one and only thing Cloud does not remember from his past life (not to mention Zack's memories) but does somehow remember the Turks were more involved. There's no reason for that. He should remember Genesis AND still decide to phone Tseng.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
And you've become one of my favorite people who agree with me on wanting the Compilation of FFVII to finish!

Thanks! :monster:

No,m I don't think Cloud knows much about Genesis at all, really. And that's what I think would fuck him up.. maybe he has these brief little flashes/episodes like he did in the OG and confuses Zack's memory as his again. Or not, might be too convoluted... but I would like some mind fuckery of "I know him... don't I?" But maybe he's already over that.

Tashasaurous

Tash for Short
AKA
I think Cloud did know, since he was a Infertye(or whatever) soldier, so he had orders to aid in the Genesis crisis as well as the original AVALANCHE crisis before he and Zack were...well, you know. So, somewhere in Cloud's memories which is still hidden, like how Sora in KH briefly remembered Aqua in KH DDD.

And your very welcome.

The only reason why Genesis went whacko because 1), he found out the truth about himself, 2), he was degrading since he could only live up to his mid twenties(until he found the statues of the Goddess who is yet another mystery, a beautiful goddess none the less), and 3), we all know how the Jenova cells can make those with weak hearts like Genesis and Sephiroth crazy. Angeal, Zack and Cloud were all strong in their hearts, even though Cloud was the only one to survive-other than Genesis of course.

Top Bottom