So Quotable

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Ever read a book/watch a film/binge a series/play a game/listen to a song and read/hear something so quotable that it sends chills down your spine?

This thread is for collecting those quotes—from badass oneliners to whole paragraphs of literary genius.

Feel more than free to talk a bit about what the quotes you post mean to you personally and/or how it made you feel upon hearing/reading it.

Naturally, use spoilers tags at your discretion. :awesome:

Ray Bradbury said:
“My grandfather ran off the V-2 rocket film a dozen times and then hoped that someday our cities would open up more and let the green and the land and the wilderness in more, to remind people that we're allotted a little space on earth and that we survive in that wilderness that can take back what it has given, as easily as blowing its breath on us or sending the sea to tell us we are not so big. When we forget how close the wilderness is in the night, my grandpa said, someday it will come in and get us for we will have forgotten how terrible and real it can be. You see?”

John Heller said:
”Major Major had been born too late and too mediocre. Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With Major Major it had been all three. Even among men lacking all distinction he inevitably stood out as a man lacking more distinction than all the rest, and people who met him were always impressed by how unimpressive he was.”

Jane Austen said:
”...I have faults enough, but they are not, I hope, of understanding. My temper I dare not vouch for. It is, I believe, too little yielding—certainly too little for the convenience of the world. I cannot forget the follies and vices of other so soon as I ought, nor their offences against myself. My feelings are not puffed about with every attempt to move them. My temper would perhaps be called resentful. My good opinion once lost is lost forever."

Also...

Ed Wuncler said:
"This team is pathetic. They don't stand a chance against the Chinese. Not one single goddamn shot in hell. It'll be an embarrassment they'll never, ever live down for the rest of their miserable lives until they die. You know what one of these balls can do to a human body? They'll get torn to pieces. Ripped to shreds. Some may even lose control of their bowels. By the third inning, they'll be pissing and shitting on themselves right in front of their friends and loved ones. It's going to be flat out fucking terrible."

Grandmaster said:
"IT’S MY BIIIIIRTHDAY!"

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
18b8b464f804d5352e02e54997894790.jpg

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
"We all make choices in life, but in the end our choices make us." Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

Cave johnson

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
The root cause of conflict is not simply poverty but poverty brought on by exclusion. Exclusion in its broadest context: exclusion from resources, from power, from education and information, from the opportunity to better one's life.

Alain de Bottom said:
But that's the challenge of art - to glamourise the important but neglected areas of experience.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Just about anything by Dorothy Parker will make my day.

“Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone.”

“If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.”

“The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.”

“Tell him I was too fucking busy-- or vice versa.”

“You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.”

“Brevity is the soul of lingerie.”

“His voice was as intimate as the rustle of sheets.”

“That would be a good thing for them to cut on my tombstone: Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment.”

CrashOuch

she/her
AKA
Sara
The crack of doom is coming soon.
Let it come,
It doesn't matter.
- Serbian Gypsy Song

This is in the front of my most favourite book at all time, that I'm otherwise incapable of quoting from because it's all just too damn good, Kevin Brooks' The Road of the Dead.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
"I knew your every intention before you did." Moebius, Soul Reaver 2. He's not bluffing, he can literally see the future. It's such a great reminder of how dangerous he is after he spent the game up to now pretending to be weak.

"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and make a change" Michael Jackson, Man in the Mirror. A song you hear so much, and then one day actually pay attention to the lyrics and realise 'wow, that's a great message.'

From FFVIIxMobius event "Fatal Calling".
Warrior of Light: I think if you stood, you could beat him. Of course, standing's pretty hard for a puppet.

Cloud Strife: Who you calling "puppet"? If the past is tying me down...I'll cut the strings!
I love Cloud's response so much because it is exactly the lesson I had to learn in order to move on from my depression.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Many of Gandalf's lines in The Lord of the Rings.
Anything Morgan Freeman says.

I wasn't ready for the feels.

Was literally watching 'The Fellowship' recently and just. T_T

ac6b2e325863570a6e4f63c709a87e29.jpg

gandalf-quote-570x321.jpg

aa6.jpg

I originally came back to this thread to post this quote from 'The Iron Giant' that's been on my mind lately. The fucking feeeeeeellls.

AGRo7Jh.gif

Lex

Administrator
If you want crappy things to stop happening to you, stop accepting crap and demand something more.
im sorry but it's from greys anatomy

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
^bahahahahahaha!

also
knocks_breaking_bad.gif

also

pretty much
that the taunting Frenchman has to say in MPatHG.

French Guard said:
I unplug my nose in your general direction, sons-of-a-windowdresser! So, you think you could outclever us French folk with your silly knees bent running about and dancing behaviour. I’ll wave my private parts at your aunties! You cheesy load of secondhand electric donkey bottom biters!

giphy.gif

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
The Merchant of Venice
Shylock: "Thou call'dst me dog before thou hadst a cause; But, since I am a dog, beware my fangs."

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
R. Scott Bakker; 'The Warrior Prophet':
Most, by and large, were born narrow, and cared to see only that which flattered them. Almost without exception, they assumed their hatreds and yearnings to be correct, no matter what the contradictions, simply because they felt correct.

Steven Erikson; 'Deadhouse Gates':
"Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words."

From KotOR2, HK-47's dialogue:
"Definition: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometres away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."

And this one from an old Eurogamer article about FF7:
Writing about Final Fantasy VII is a bit like pissing in a river. No matter how lengthy, colourful, perspicacious or novel your contribution, it will never make much difference to such a free-flowing stream.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
Someone on Quora was writing about their experience as an unwanted child. Really liked the way she wrote. Engaging, tragic. I need to find her answer again and find out if she’s written any books.

’My first memory is of being carried up into the attic in my father's huge hands. His hands were almost as big as me. We were rising up into an utter black void shaped like a pyramid. He moved across the void, to the center, and then his hands held me on each side and lowered me into something. I knew he was leaving me there alone. I reached inside and tore myself inside out with my screams. I was obliterated by my screams.’

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
A Facebook comment, of all things, in response to an article regarding looking back on personal trauma:

Guy Who Knows said:
People who have legitimate trauma also often normalise it. I've been a target of and a witness to family violence (yes, stuff you would unambiguously agree is family violence, I would think) and I don't feel nearly as strongly about it as I should. It feels unreal to talk about. It feels weightless. I feel like I'm lying or exaggerating even though I abstractly know what happened. I don't think people would know if they were lying, sometimes.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
^Right in the feels, goddamn.

OT: From the book I’m currently reading: Unknown Soldiers by Väinö Linna.

“For the most part, they were a solid crop. The spiritual difficulties of re-entry into civilian life? They couldn’t afford to invent stumbling blocks like that. People in the winter of life may have souls, but a soldier has nothing of the kind. Anybody who had such a thing would have had it anaesthetized as quickly as possible. No, the deep-set eyes above their chapped, stubbly cheeks revealed only animals, sly and ferocious, trying to hang onto two things: their positions and their dear lives.”

"We all do things in life we regret. But if we don't learn from them, and move towards a brighter future, we pay twice." - Dr. K (RPM)

Apparently this one is from Power Rangers. That is one resonating quote!

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not" - dunno. Good comeback when someone does a naive "In theory so-and-so".

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
"You listen to me! While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I'm a naysayer and hatchetman in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another because I chose to live my life in the company of Ghandi and King! My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method... Is love. I love you, Sheriff Truman." Albert - Twin Peaks

BforB

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
Huey from Boondocks spittin' truth after truth. So relevant to the current political landscape in media.

Huey Freeman said:
You can't go around hustlin' controversy for profit. [...] You're messing with forces you can't control.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
"To be a good friend, you have to risk losing a good friend"
- Uncle Phil, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

and bc Flare Bear recently shared a vid with me about Boromir T_T

"I would have followed you, my brother... My captain... My king."
- Boromir, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings (film)

Top Bottom