-No
-Off Course!

Or however the whole thing goes. :monster:
[/quote]
No, way! :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Oh yeah! It's, "No, way!" And grammatically there shouldn't be a comma! XD

There is this part that always confounds me... Tifa says it right before you leave 7th Heaven.

"Cloud! I got a message from the Weapon Shop man upstairs."
"He has something he wants to give you. Don't forget!"

Problem: No Weapon Shop man GIVES you anything! Also, the weapon shop (or maybe it says item shop in the game, I have no way of checking) is not upstairs, ergo floor above 7th Heaven. The shop is in a different building and on the ground floor.

I deduce that either it is a translation error, sloppy script writing or both.

Personally, I think they should save at least one or two of the "script mistakes" in a remake. Most notably, Aeris's classic 'this guy are sick'. That HAS to stay.

spirit_chaser

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Shademp link=topic=30.msg3068#msg3068 date=1229815019]Personally, I think they should save at least one or two of the "script mistakes" in a remake. Most notably, Aeris's classic 'this guy are sick'. That HAS to stay.[/quote]

Agree - cult lines should remain untouched :neo:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
[quote author=Shademp link=topic=30.msg3068#msg3068 date=1229815019]
There is this part that always confounds me... Tifa says it right before you leave 7th Heaven.

"Cloud! I got a message from the Weapon Shop man upstairs."
"He has something he wants to give you. Don't forget!"

Problem: No Weapon Shop man GIVES you anything! Also, the weapon shop (or maybe it says item shop in the game, I have no way of checking) is not upstairs, ergo floor above 7th Heaven. The shop is in a different building and on the ground floor.[/quote]

Ugh, I could even put this in the FF7 memories thread. On my first playthrough I spent SO MUCH time trying to find out how to go upstairs in 7th Heaven, because the building LOOKS tall enough to have a second floor. I was so frustrated...

As for "This guy are sick," I don't think its as famous as "You spoony bard," but it might be popular enough to stay, not sure.

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=30.msg3848#msg3848 date=1230074395]
I don't remember where the spoony bard thing comes from. :(
[/quote]
Final Fantasy IV. The sage Tellah says it when he fights whom he believes just murdered his daughter. "You spoony bard!" This rather funny line even stayed in the DS version of the game.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Spoony bard is like the epitome of great cheesy lines. Just gotta love it.

I also found some difficulty getting around Midgar. The whole idea was make it look like a jumbled electronic jungle and it did. Unfortunately it also screwed with my sense of direction. xD

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
[quote author=Shademp link=topic=30.msg3857#msg3857 date=1230076309]
[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=30.msg3848#msg3848 date=1230074395]
I don't remember where the spoony bard thing comes from. :(
[/quote]
Final Fantasy IV. The sage Tellah says it when he fights whom he believes just murdered his daughter. "You spoony bard!" This rather funny line even stayed in the DS version of the game.
[/quote]

Spoony Bard isn't technically incorrect, but it's a HELL of an obscure insult for Tellah to use. Then again, Tellah.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Dosen't it mean "overly romantic, mushy"? I would think that would relate to Edward indeed.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I'll be damned, you're right.

Dictionary.com said:
spoon?y
? ?/?spuni/ [spoo-nee]
–adjective, spoon?i?er, spoon?i?est. Informal.
1. foolishly or sentimentally amorous.
2. foolish; silly.
3. feebly sentimental; gushy.
Origin:
1805–15; spoon + -y 1

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
I confess I didn't just guess that. Hilariously enough a few months ago an email with the dictionary word "spoony" appeared in inbox (yes, I'm just THAT nerdy xD) and had that description of it. I couldn't remember the whole defintion just then, so that's why I asked.

Smaddy

Green Mage
Oh the Nintendo era when they had to use cute replacement phrases for swear words, resulting in,
"Son of a Submariner!"
"Crud, what a mess!"
and
"Book of Secrets"

But for the most part I love the translations, I think the world would be a lesser place without "You Spoony Bard!". A generic "you son of a bitch" wouldn't have really stood out. I giggled when I saw "you spoony bard" appear in FFXI. XD

TheMadHatter

Banned
AKA
Not Sure - guess the movie.
Hey! I love the Nintendo era! Had the coolest lines ever. You posted my fav lines of course.

"You Spoony Bard" made me laugh too. I wish we would go back to that time, when games were actually good *sigh*

Smaddy

Green Mage
Hey! I love the Nintendo era! Had the coolest lines ever. You posted my fav lines of course.

"You Spoony Bard" made me laugh too. I wish we would go back to that time, when games were actually good *sigh*
I love the Nintendo era too. It's when I got into RPGs: first FF6, which led to Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, FF4, Earthbound, Illusion of Gaia, etc. And the rest was history. :geek:

Seeing FF6 recently retranslated was a little surreal to me, because I had played it so much that the SNES script is basically hard-wired into my brain, and seeing other lines (the 'proper' retranslation) was a little weird at first.

TheMadHatter

Banned
AKA
Not Sure - guess the movie.
Yeah, but is was the real translation. In some parts, it made it better.
Like when Sabin said to Terra: "Think a bear like me...blah, blah" in the Snes and PS version. But in the real translation, Terra says: "....I thought you were one of Vargas' bears." and he goes on to say the bear line.
Translations can help a lot more lol

RPGs are too cool, especially FFVI and Chrono Trigger. I loved those games.

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
OMG LOL RLY

Top Bottom