• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

Spider-Man (616) [Marvel]

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I'm glad that I've gotten back into Spider-Man after like a decade of not following, because right now is kind of an awesome time to start reading.

Granted, the first eight issues after Peter came back were kind of meh, mostly due to Slott completely butchering Felecia's character (y u do dis, Slott?) But now that Spider-Verse has kicked in it's been a lot of fun.

I personally have been loving it all so far. Most of Spider-Verse has been a series of little one-shot stories exploring different ideas for Spider-Man characters in different universes. It's pretty cool. I know a lot of people became obsessed with the Gwen Stacy issue, and while I liked it well enough (and adore her costume design) I actually felt that it was one of the weaker stories. My favorite issue so far was SP//dr written by Gerard Way. It's about a girl named Peni Parker who gets bitten by a spider that alters her DNA to be compatible with her father's mech suit. She's part of a special police force in some city that seems like a cross between Tokyo and New York. I would rather see that get it's own series but what can you do? :P

But I do have to admit that I really dislike Silk. I hope she dies by the end of Spider-Verse, not gonna lie. Or maybe not die, but just goes away and doesn't hang around with Peter anymore.

Oh and does anyone else love Anna Maria Marconi? I hope she sticks around for the long-term.

Last edited:

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I'm only reading the TASM 616 comics enough to keep up with Spider-Verse (which I'm loving a good bit). I loved both the Spider-Gwen and SP//dr shorts and I'd love ta see way more of 'em both (especially all the anime references in SP//dr)

When TASM started back after Superior, I didn't manage to jump into it despite a bit of trying, I just didn't connect in to the whole everything that was going on with them all. I'm digging Spider-Verse by and large, but I'm not sure that I'll be following TASM once it's done tbqh.

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I still can't get back into Spidey. "One More Day" effectively killed my interest for years, and when I did decide to take another look (because "Spider-Verse" was coming), Dan Slott, who is usually fantastic, utterly ruined Felicia Hardy.

Now, even if we want to say this difference in her is just another side-effect of "One More Day," then that's One More Thing it fucked up. One More Failure for Mr. "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility."

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
@X:

Yeah, those first few issues were rather weak. But I love Peter enough to have been able to trudge through them. It was kind of exciting to be back into it again after so long.

And dude! I did notice the Evangelion kids in her class, but for some reason the Ghost in the Shell and Akira references went right over my head. I have no idea how I missed that. I mean, I'm not a huge Akira fan and it was more subtle, so that may be why, but I love Ghost in the Shell and they are all like, right there in your face with it. idk I'm blind I guess. :awesomonster:

There was also a Kamala cameo in SP//dr as well. She was on the subway train. Did you notice? XD

As for the main plot of Spider-Verse
Kaine is the Other, Cindy is the Bride, and I'm assuming this must mean Peter is the Scion? But a scion is someone descended from wealth/nobility, which Peter is not. Granted, a scion is also part of a plant. He is Groot? :awesome:

@ Tres:

Yeah, One More Day was lame, but I'm willing to forgive it, at least for now. I do wish Marvel would decide what to do with Mary Jane. I feel like if her and Peter aren't going to be getting back together and staying together any time soon then they just need to cut her out completely for a while.

Clever play on words, though. :monster:

Anyway, skip the first few issues of this run. Start with #7 and #8, you get Spider-Verse prologue stuff AND Kamala Kahn. It's a win/win.

Last edited:

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind

The fact that the Spider-mech is basically a Tachikoma on 2 legs completes the GITS reference.

Also, Felicia went nuts not because of One More Day, but because Octo-Spidey punched her in the face and had her arrested. Haven't read far enough yet to understand why she doesn't believe Pete was brain-washed like everybody else has. Either way, I don't see it lasting long.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I knew about Otto screwing her over and all, but if OMD hadn't wiped out everyone knowing Pete is Spidey (including Felicia, I guess?), it would have been a lot easier for him to prove to her. So, it still partly comes down to Pete screwing with people's lives in a number of ways he had no right to in order to save an old woman who will keel over any minute anyway.

I hate what Quesada did to Spidey, I really do. Every time I try to read him now, I just think "Why bother? Fuck it." Like, I can't even enjoy back issues anymore.

Somebody fix this. D=

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
The fact that the Spider-mech is basically a Tachikoma on 2 legs completes the GITS reference.

Also, Felicia went nuts not because of One More Day, but because Octo-Spidey punched her in the face and had her arrested. Haven't read far enough yet to understand why she doesn't believe Pete was brain-washed like everybody else has. Either way, I don't see it lasting long.

She believes him now. The problem is, she doesn't care and still wants revenge. I don't hate Slott like a lot of other people seem to, but when he misses the mark he really misses.

But when he hits it's a bullseye.

IDK

I'm just glad she's on the backburner now for Spider-verse.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I was so totally sure that the Old-Man Spider-Man was Uncle Ben. I was actually kind of disappointed that it was actually Ezekiel and that he died so soon without really revealing any important information. Other than I guess Peter may not be the Scion?

I'll post more later.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
This Ezekiel was from a universe where Morlun succeeded in killing Peter. Ezekiel had the Last-Stand costume made and continued on as Spider-Man in Peter's stead.

He was about to tell everyone what was going on when the portal opened and he was killed. I'm kind of curious why his spider-sense didn't warn him, but maybe it doesn't work until the portal is open. That's what I'm thinking, anyway.

I'm also wondering how time-travel is working along with dimension hopping. Why don't the Inheritors just go back in time and kill everyone when they were new and not able to fight as effectively? But then, they do rely on the Master Weaver an awful lot. Maybe they all don't realize they are time traveling as well? It does make me curious about the Mast Weaver's motivations, if that's the case. It was kind of a dick move to open the portal when everyone was gathered together like that.

And now Silk has run off instead of going back to the one universe where she would be safe. Maybe the twins will eat her. lol :monster:

Also, Ezekiel and Ham were the ones to recruit Peni. Why has she not showed up yet? I hope she does.

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Okay, I'm confused about something. Miguel is from 616, just in the future, correct? Or no?

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Still haven't read 'Verse yet, but Miguel is 616, yes.

What's going on, spoil me.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Well, it was in an issue of Spider-Man 2099, but still a tie in to Spiderverse.
He's currently back in 2099 But it was labeled as an entirely different Earth. :/

Unless it really is a different Earth and Miguel doesn't realize this yet? Could this be a plot point?

I should probably make a separate 2099 thread.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Minorly related: Some parts of Uncanny X-Men Annual #1 took place in the 616 universe in the year 2099 this week, so 2099 isn't ALWAYS part of a different universe, though I'm not 100% certain about Miguel's universe (even though I have been reading Spidey 2099 regularly).

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Spider-Verse #2 was awesome, and stuffed to the gills with minority representation. I loved every second of it - but Anarchist Spiderman Vs. President Norman Osborne was my favourite by FAR.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I just got my hands on #2. I only flipped through it a tiny bit but what I did see was pretty awesome. I loved the story with Anansi, and the two Spider-men at the
final battle
were a lot of fun.

The Spanish story threw me for a loop but at the same time that was kind if cool that they did that. I'll have to download the English version later.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I really REALLY want more comics about him & SP//dr, even if they're not as big as Spider-Gwen. They each have SUCH an awesome style to them that makes them stand out.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I have been very saddened by the lack of Peni Parker in Spider-verse over all. The artists have drawn her standing in the background a couple times but other than that it's like she doesn't exist outside of SP//dr. :(

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Agreed - she's had a couple of lines, but we haven't really seen her up front and kicking ass at all.

I'm hoping that her, Anarchist Spider-man, and Spider-Gwen all get some more comics devoted to them, because they have such a unique style that stand out from the rest of the Spider-Verse in such a distinct way. Hell, I don't even care if Peni & Hobart have to team up with Gwen in her comic to get more time in comics - I just want more of the three of them.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah I have to say that Im not too overly interested in Spider-Gwen. But yeah maybe if those two got thrown in I'll read it. :)

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Please, PLEASE read Scarlet Spiders #3 BEFORE Amazing Spider-man #13, despite their listed order in the checklist, because ASM #13 spoils the everliving fuck out of it and I was SUPER gutted by it. :(
Ben Reilly dies at the end of Scarlet Spiders #3 and the entire issue builds up tension for it really well and I wish I could've read it not knowing for sure it was coming - not to mention that Kaine hulks out because of it and dies in ASM #13, so I read the whole Scarlet Spiders issue knowing that two of the three characters were already dead. SO fucking disappointed.

Top Bottom