Star Wars Anthology Films (Rogue One, Han Solo, etc.)

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
God DAMN, but this movie was surprisingly wonderful and fun. It feels like a proper romp through the Expanded Universe in the same way that playing the old Star Wars RPG did back in the day, and I'm just beaming. So many fun little nods and references and just a damn enjoyable romp.

Also, thanks to circumstances I'm seeing it again in 8 hours, and then again 12 hours after that. I cannot wait.

X :neo:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I thought it was adequate... lol.

It sticks the landing much better than the first two acts; it made me wonder if that was where Ron Howard took over, haha. But the first half to two-thirds just weren't terribly interesting. Although why is it so dark?! Not plotwise, I mean visually. I got so tired of having to peer at the screen, and anytime a spark or anything bright flashed it hurt. I get that they were in squalor and war and seedy bars and stuff (which, by the way, why are there nothing but shit planets in this galaxy? lol. It's Coruscant and then nothing but desert planets, waterworlds, slave mines, etc.), but by the time they're on the Millennium Falcon and it's STILL nothing but dark blues I was thinking "Come onnnn!"

A lot of the humor didn't really land, it wasn't cringe-y or anything, just kinda meh. The multi-armed pilot guy was really trying for the Rocket shtick and it just wasn't working. But I was surprised they wrote off those two characters in the first heist. And the trailer completely ruined the "109 years old?!" part. There were a couple good lines, I liked the remark about the one uniform that would have fit him, and "rounding down" the 12 parsecs boast.

It's funny, with so many fans hating how much TLJ shit on fanservice, they apparently just crammed it all into this movie. I don't mind fanservice or anything, but they do hit everything you expect in a Han Solo movie, and you can see each one from a mile away. There was one bit I didn't expect (well two if you count Maul, I guess), the shooting first bit. That was a fun wink at the audience, but then of course they had the guy say "I would've killed you" ...

But like I said, the third act definitely improves. The lines get better, there's some freakin light, and you're less sure about exactly what's going to happen.

Not a bad movie by any means, just very average. Which is, admittedly, kind of what I expected. Glover as Lando was as promised, though I could have used a little more of him.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I feel like this one is ALWAYS gonna stick out weirdly at the box office compared to the other ones.

It's coming out in the summer - unlike all the other winter Star Wars films taking over for LotR / Harry Potter for the theme-dominated end-of-the-year space. On top of having a different release month for comparison, it is also utterly SURROUNDED by other good summer films taking some of that cut. Infinity War & Deadpool 2 before, and then just after you've got things like Incredibles 2 that're gonna absolutely stomp it in the box office. It doesn't have the room to have legs with no competition like the winter films do.

Perhaps even more importantly, we just had a new Star Wars film 5 months ago, which makes this one seem even more auxiliary to the general audience. It's the only Star Wars film that doesn't have the space of a full year of hype and marketing building up behind it. I think that the only reason that they didn't bump it into the December time slot was because production was already troubled enough, they didn't want to let it sit around feeling like there were extant issues still making people worry.

I dunno. This is one where I don't think that the numbers will really tell the story when measuring Star Wars films to one another, because it's in such a weird position compared to the consistent base that all the rest of them have.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Kind of want to see this now. I wasn't boycotting it or anything, just not very interested, but reports are that it's actually pretty good.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Still debating whether seeing it or not, Han's backstory was something I never cared about, it doesn't help that Rogue One destroyed my interest in the spin off movies.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I don't think that your views on Rogue One – positive OR negative – should impact your feelings about going to see Solo because they're totally different directors, writers, & eras of Star Wars. Not to mention that Lawrence Kasdan was been a writer on all but one Star Wars film with Han Solo, and he worked on Shadows of the Empire back in the day as well, so his stuff is especially worth looking at differently than other spinoffs.

Han Solo's not a character I have ever had any strong interest in, and I loved the film and I think that they did fantastically by him. It's definitely worth seeing.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm going to wait for Redbox on this one. I'm sure it's perfectly serviceable, but I really don't have a burning interest in the subject matter. Unlike "Rogue One," it doesn't cover a period of mystery I'm curious about.

TyrekeChance

Rookie Adventurer
"Not a bad movie by any means, just very average. Which is, admittedly, kind of what I expected. Glover as Lando was as promised, though I could have used a little more of him."

I feel the same, man. I feel the same.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Anyone claiming it's doing poorly is a shill trying to shaft the actors and whoever worked on it, :monster:

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
The theatres take a cut, though. 650 million was considered barely breaking even for Justice League.

Also, Hollywood never admits profit because then they have to pay tax.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I did see an article the other day that explained that the movie theaters don't make much money at all on a movie when it's first out, most of the monies has to be paid to the movie studios and only over time does a larger percentage go to the theaters themselves.

And yes, tax avoidance and shit is real. They manage to let the money vanish.

Top Bottom