Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal

I have no fucking words.

This expansion is... wildly awesome.

Gunner Job Class.

Lufenia.

Jack Garland in the iconic Garland armor.

And just...wait for the end.

If you haven't touched this yet, you are missing out. These expansions have been incredibly fun and uniquely inspired surprises. Like, this is game has been the sleeper surprise of 2022 and it's awesome. LOL fucking hyped as hell. :monster:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It is worth it.

An enjoyable and challenging action game themed around FF1 and the first villain of the series, Garland. I can say enough how much fun it is.

Experience with FF1 and Dissidia isn't necessary but it certainly helps and makes it more fun. Although, honestly it pays homage to all of the series in unique ways.

D

Deleted member 13557

Think I might leave it until pixel remaster comes to PS so I can play FF1 then SoP

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
It's a shame this came out so close to Elden Ring. Feels totally eclipsed by it. At least it was for me, I was waist deep into exploring the Lands Between throughout March. I'll check this out once I play a few more FFs (pixel remaster collection FTW), that way I get all the references.

Reactions: Wol

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy

Tetsuya Nomura said:
When Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin first came out, there was a lot of negative bashing, especially online. However, I’m pleased to say that everyone watching this livestream has grown very fond of Jack and his friends. So much so that some would love to see a sequel of [the title].

And if you do want that to happen, then it would certainly help if one person watching this spread the news to 10 other people. If word of mouth about the game spreads through the DLC’s completion, proving that this is a title that has really resonated with everyone, there may be a time when we can meet again. I personally would love to work with Kumabe-san from Koei Tecmo again.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
If there's one thing I think Stranger of Paradise shows, is that Final Fantasy's authenticity and uniqueness is always marketable.

Not catering to "the west," or chasing the latest fad or critically acclaimed aesthetic. Ultimately, fans and the audience will express interest and enjoyment when Square just let's their talent cook. Period.

The fact that Jack's story doesn't try to be ironic, meta but is wholly itself and emotional is why I and others legitimately loved this game.

ph14basicbitch

shinra merch buyer
AKA
koda
People thought Stranger of Paradise was "intentionally ironic" at first, and that the devs were "in on the joke". I remember some tweet that got a ton of retweets about how westerners shouldn't "infantilize Japanese devs - they know Stranger of Paradise is 'cringe', Jack is funny on purpose". :monster: But the interviews etc all said otherwise. It's the one where Nomura admitted that he had to change the marketing because of us fucking westerners that sent me over the moon. But in the end, it is a sincere product. It's Nomura's early 2000s AMV of FF1 and Frank Sinatra's My Way.

Top Bottom