Super Mario Series Thread

Lex

Administrator
How do we not have one of these already???

Anyway, I'm hot off Nintendo's 35th Anniversary Direct with its crazy announcements.

All Stars is available now, 3D All Stars is coming out in two weeks (includes 64, Sunshine and Galaxy) and 3D World is releasing for Switch next year.

I play Mario Maker a lot these days, and also 100%'d Odyssey. Really excited for a follow up to that game.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm actually genuinely and happily surprised Nintendo did another All-Stars compilation release. I thought they gave up on that given how they've moved away from re-releasing virtual console games, moved to subscription only, etc. This is really fucking cool of them, and to even add new features to their games too.

I seriously loved Mario 3D World, like. It was one of my favorite Wii U games and I was sad that it appeared to just be forgotten like the rest of that console era. To see it coming back with new content fills me with joy.

Super Mario Bros 3 is probably my favorite of the classic NES Mario games. Like, I have very strong feels for SMB3, it's not even funny. Super Mario World beats it by a little bit. LOL, and I remember getting the Mario All Stars re-release for the Wii, which was so awesome back in the day. After not having anything like that for so long, again I really thought Nintendo gave up on that model of bundling games together. So yeah, this is great news.

Kinda strange the Mario Battle Royale game is only temporary. I sure hope they decide to release it by itself afterwards or something.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
No Galaxy 2? No enhancements? In other words, they had put more effort into the original All-Stars than this, go figure :monster:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
I pre-ordered my copy! :P

also because I am me and I care about this

amiibo.900x.jpg

Nintendo, why you gotta bust my wallet like this

It's nice that these games are coming to Switch, but limiting the 3D All Stars collection both physically AND digitally (via limiting digital purchases to a certain timeframe) is REALLY annoying. I love Nintendo games, but Nintendo the company sure can be exasperating.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm slightly butthurt that I can't play Paper Mario: Origami King because I neither have nor want a Switch.

You're not missing anything. Trust me.

Paper Mario stopped being good since Super Paper Mario. After Miyamoto raged at the Paper Mario series being too RPG-esque and self contained, Nintendo has inflicted Disney-esque brand protections to make each subsequent entry more diluted, formulaic and mundane than the last. It's a shadow of it's former self, at this point.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It's decent when you just look at it as some stand alone unconnected title, but compared to the actual series and it's pinnacle titles such as Paper Mario and the 1000 Year Door?

Origami King just sorta gives up and reveals the formulaic structure and composition that makes up a Paper Mario game. Icon sidekick for Mario that is essentially meaningless, random inanimate object(s) attacks the world, random weird quest gimmick, etc etc... It just feels like a phoned in title. And Mario is a tent-pole franchise; it'd take a lot for a Mario game to actually fail at a massive scale. Nintendo's been smart and has never burned through the generations of good will and brand trust like Sega did with Sonic. A Mario game at it's worst will never be a shitshow. It's just relatively speaking to what's been done before.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
With Oragami King, I think it’s a fruitless endeavor to judge it by traditional RPG standards or especially expectations for what a Paper Mario game should be. (Nintendo changed course long ago on that one)

It’s more of a puzzle-leaning adventure game and should be judged as such. I haven’t gotten around to playing it, but I’m really looking forward to trying it!

A Mario game at it's worst will never be a shitshow. It's just relatively speaking to what's been done before.

Yeah, I don’t think there’s ever been a straight-up bad first party Mario game. Mario at his worst is just “boring,” perhaps? Like some entries in the New Super Mario Bros. series.

I'm actually genuinely and happily surprised Nintendo did another All-Stars compilation release. I thought they gave up on that given how they've moved away from re-releasing virtual console games, moved to subscription only, etc. This is really fucking cool of them, and to even add new features to their games too.

I seriously loved Mario 3D World, like. It was one of my favorite Wii U games and I was sad that it appeared to just be forgotten like the rest of that console era. To see it coming back with new content fills me with joy.

Super Mario Bros 3 is probably my favorite of the classic NES Mario games. Like, I have very strong feels for SMB3, it's not even funny. Super Mario World beats it by a little bit. LOL, and I remember getting the Mario All Stars re-release for the Wii, which was so awesome back in the day. After not having anything like that for so long, again I really thought Nintendo gave up on that model of bundling games together. So yeah, this is great news.

Kinda strange the Mario Battle Royale game is only temporary. I sure hope they decide to release it by itself afterwards or something.
Super Mario 3D World is vastly underrated, yes. I think it had a rough reception among some of the fanbase because they expected a mainline 3D Mario experience akin to Galaxy or SM64, since it had been a while. But now that Odyssey has scratched that itch, I hope those fans are able to look back and see what it is: an ingenious blend of the 3D and 2D gameplay styles with nods to every Mario game before it. Add fun, cooperative, yet competitive multiplayer on top of that, and it’s one of the best Mario games ever made.

Lex

Administrator
Super Mario 3D World is vastly underrated, yes.

Totally agree. I played an emulated version of it a couple of years ago and it's incredibly fun. It's the 3D Mario game I always wanted and I couldn't understand the fan reception to it, but I've always been kind of half-in with Nintendo (I've never actually owned a Nintendo console other than the handhelds and my cousin's SNES).

That's to say, I've never really been an obsessive Zelda/ Mario fan the same way I am for other franchises like FF, even though I do love playing them.

I think that's slowly changing though. I've always liked platformers but it wasn't until Rayman Legends that I started to feel really good at them? Like, stages requiring reaction time, quick thinking, tricks etc. Since realising this, I've done things I thought I'd never be able to do, like 100%ing Celeste, going back through all the early Mario games and going for all exit runs, platinum runs in the Crash Bandicoot remaster etc.

Odyssey was a game changer, so. much. fun. I've never played Sunshine or Galaxy so I'm looking forward to those - I think I've found my groove with platformers because they're so easy to pick up and put down. Not like the Witcher 3, which, while it's incredible, has been sitting unfinished for a few months because when I get home from work I feel like I can't enjoy it without putting real time into it. I'll finish it soon enough :monster:

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The only Paper Mario game I ever played was Paper Mario 64 (which is one of the good ones as far as I know?) I was absolutely in love with that game, but never got super into the series. I always felt bad for the fans of that line of games because Nintendo seems to treat it as a black sheep for strange reasons. I am passively curious about Origami King. It looks like it could be enjoyable... but I'm not completely sold on it.

What I am really excited to play again is Sunshine on the switch. I didn't own a Game Cube, so the only time I was able to play Sunshine was at brief intervals at my ex's place. I absolutely fell in love with it, and I am excited to get into it more thoroughly. I haven't had the chance to get through much of Odyssey, but I think when this bundle comes out, I might start a do a play through of each :D

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
SM3DW is a ton of fun, great soundtrack too. One day I will go back and complete that Champion's Road level...(hint: it's tough as shit)

Mario Galaxy is great because they snuck some lore in there and I wish Miyamoto wasn't so fucking against that all the time.

...That level gave me PTSD.

But the victory obtained made it all better :monster:

Top Bottom