The best games: Asia, Europe or America?

Where do you think the best games are made?

• Asia

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Europe

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • America

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Seunia

Dedicated Fan
Where do you think the best games are made? I know...maybe it´s not that important...a good game is a good game right? But I´m just curious.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
yeah i was gonna vote canada cause bioware

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
For me, and the kind of games I like, Japan still has the edge. I like stories and adventure and puzzles with something unique to them. The majority of the games I own are Japanese. Although the last JRPG I played and actually enjoyed was Tales of Symphonia :monster:

Just of the top of my head: Zelda, Mario, Okami, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Silent Hill, Professor Layton, Pilotwings, Resident Evil, Animal Crossing, Katamari, Phoenix Wright, Last Window/Hotel dusk. Wario-ware. I'm sure there are others I've missed.

Not that there are not great western games too. Portal and Portal 2 were awesome, Heavy Rain and LA Noire we're great (though flawed in places) The GTA series is enjoyable enough, and Half Life. Then there is the Monkey Island Series, and stuff like Braid.

The problem for me is gaming in general is becoming more homogenized, the games I like are few and far between. Whenever I go to the game shop there just seems to be countless cookie-cutter FPS games that I have no interest in whatsoever.

I put this down to the growth of the industry, there was a time when games were for gamers, and now it seems that a lot of developers are too scared to try something new in case they lose sales. A bit like the film industry. (and the music industry...and everything else :lol:

Maybe its some sort of time compression in my mind, but I feel like in the 90's good games were released more frequently, and most of them were Japanese. I'm probably not the best person to ask, because I am a nostalgic pus-head :monster:

Alex

alex is dead
AKA
Alex, Ashes, Pennywise, Bill Weasley, Jack's Smirking Revenge, Sterling Archer
Canadian inferiority complex seems to actually stop people from realising that the poll is clearly referring to the North American continent, not just 'murkah itself.

:monster:

About 6 years ago I would have told you Asia. Now, just have to look at my shelf and my lists of favourite games to see that the majority are made in NA.

Mind you some of them may have been made in Europe. I don't pay all that much attention to where my games are made most of the time.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Because the question is where they 'are' made, as opposed to 'have been made', I'm going North America.

Mass Effect + Dragon Age = fuck you just plain better than everyone else

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yeah I'd sort of go by where the developers are located, but that doesn't necessarily mean very much

I mean for example, I will love the fuck out of virtually any Ubisoft game, but just check out how branched out they are as a studio group. Montreal did Prince of Persia and Assassin's Creed. Paris worked on Red Steel. Red Storm in the US produces the Tom Clancy series. Being nitpicky about it I guess I could label all of those European-based, but yknawmean.

I honestly can't make a decisive argument on where the "best" games come fromm, because in terms of quality (rather than quantity which is probably the dominating argument here :monster:) I don't think any particular region wins out with an all-encompassing game-to-defeat-all-others. I suppose if you wanted to go about the judgement scientifically, you could always go onto Metacritic and do some numbers crunching.

Last edited:

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
This is a stupid poll.

They come from all around.

The best games I've ever played have come from several different regions.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Let me put it this way, it's a stupid question, period.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
I'm going to have to agree with Dacon. It's not a simple question to answer for me, because my gaming habits and interests are all over the place.

For example, yes, Mass Effect and Dragon Age are among the best games of this era. Period. So is Uncharted and L.A. Noire. However, can you really ignore the icons like Super Mario? For me personally, I still spend probably more hours playing Street Fighter than almost any other game, easy. It's literally my first love in all of gaming. But Halo is the shit as well, and so are games like Team Fortress and L4D.

Even Final Fantasy, yeah, S-E is fucking up now, but I when you look at it squarely (no pun intended), Square has made far, far more good games and memorable titles than bad ones; their fuckups is a relatively small and recent portion of their overall portfolio.

Great games are made and continue to be made all over the world. It's exceedingly rare for someone to have their preferences fall solely in one camp; and those people are really missing out.

Seunia

Dedicated Fan
I voted for Asia because the 3 best games I´ve got on my favourite games list are japanese: Final Fantasy VII, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus. ^_^

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, I dunno. Most of my list of favorite games list is populated by Japanese games, but I have adored plenty of Western games as well.

If you want to vote for Canada, vote for America...sorry, I forgot.

I didn't think you forgot anything. The other two choices are continents, why would that one not refer to a continent but just a country? You said Asia and Europe, not Japan and United Kingdom.

Seunia

Dedicated Fan
Yeah, I dunno. Most of my list of favorite games list is populated by Japanese games, but I have adored plenty of Western games as well.

I didn't think you forgot anything. The other two choices are continents, why would that one not refer to a continent but just a country? You said Asia and Europe, not Japan and United Kingdom.

Ok, then. Thank you :lol:

Ghost X

I don't think I could vote, not exactly sure where the games I like are produced these days. Asia would have been an easy choice maybe a decade or so back, but now I'd be leaning toward the other two.

Top Bottom