The Boys

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
A shame there's not more posts in this thread.

Husband and I finally binge watched the show this week, and I loved it. I didn't realize it was based on a comic at first until I did a bit of research. Consensus that I've seen is that the show seems to improve on the comic in a number of ways. Although with Eric Kripke (of Supernatural) writing it, the female leads besides Madelyn Stilwell and Starlight seem to fall a bit flat, which is something that's always been prominent in his work, especially with Supernatural.

I've always loved the idea of cynical, jaded superheroes that are jackasses when they're not in the public eye, so this show is a refreshing break from all the Marvel I've been watching lately.

I'll get more of my thoughts on the characters together later, but I definitely look forward to Season 2.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
This show is good. I'm enjoying this show a lot more than I thought I would. I like it more than the actual graphic novel, which I made an attempt at.

That said, Hughie is the most insufferable main character I've encountered in anything in a while. I think this is somewhat intentional, but jesus fuck. Every episode I watch I desperately hope he gets killed off so that other characters can do their thing without him being in the picture.

I dug up this thread just because I'm that frustrated by how much Hughie fucking sucks. I guess part of what makes the show so interesting is that there is a question about who in the cast you find the most hateable?

Last edited:

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Hughie to quote butcher is a little cunt.
Honestly 100% with you on the dislike of him, there have been so many moments in the series I have saw perfectly good they could have offed him and made the plot better.

That said I really do like the show and season 2 was arguably better than the first and opens up next season quite nicely.

Also looking forward to seeing Jensen ackles make his appearance because well it's Jensen ackles.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
He sucks, and because the show is so self-aware in so many other aspects, I have to assume its also completely self aware in how irritating he is lmfao. I just wonder sometimes - I find myself warming up to other characters, even if they are more objectively terrible people - but even during Hughie's sympathetic moments my heart is ice cold to him.

I just finished season 1. I hear the sentiment @lithiumkatana17 stated with regard to female characters being a weak point, but it's not such a weak point that the strengths dont make up for it. Plus, from what I know of season 2, shit gets overall better so I'm looking forward to that.

Last edited:

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Season 2 does do a good job of pushing the female narrative with some fresh new characters. Your gonna have a definite love hate relationship with one Inparticular who opens up the background on vought.

I'm 100% confident the show writers have written Hughie in this way on purpose as he doesn't even match his comic counterpart.

Top Bottom