The Dark Tower (Film/TV adaptation)

vaderSW1

Dark Knight of the Red Wings
I was very excited to learn that the official trailer for part 1 of The Dark Tower debuts tomorrow at 8am PST...then I saw the two 15 second teasers for the trailer.

Suffice to say...ugh...

vaderSW1

So the full trailer for the film has been released...

After having watched it...my interest in this film is gone. I am not feeling it at all. This has been VERY loosely adapted from the novels. So disappointing. It will be a wait for Blu-Ray/Netflix for me.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I am suitably intrigued by this, but have absolutely zero knowledge of the source material, so obviously YMMV.

X :neo:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I've read the first two books at least and I for one am intrigue, at least as an action flick. Looks a lot better than the first teasers.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
This looks like the Coda had a baby with Last Action Hero.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Was ambivalent. Remain ambivalent. It's a very hard series to adapt.

Idris Elba looks too young to be Roland, he needs to be a bit weathered. But it's not a dealbreaker.

I've read the whole series, but it was years ago, can't really remember most of the particulars. It seems like they're taking the basic premise though, which can still be good, but isn't really The Dark Tower. I mean, hell, no Eddie and Susannah? How do you even make a Dark Tower series without them?

vaderSW1

I've read the first two books at least and I for one am intrigue, at least as an action flick. Looks a lot better than the first teasers.

That's actually one of my biggest problems with this. The Dark Tower is not chock full of action. It wasn't written to be some 80's action flick. Even if I were able to allow myself to get onboard with the action elements, I fucking hate that they are doing the overstylized action shit with it such as
Roland catching bullets in his guns in midair.
It's just unnecessary. Action isn't what made The Dark Tower series so endearing. It's the characters, it's the tragedy, it's the storytelling. This just looks like a complete disgrace and disservice to the books.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
Parallel narratives, maybe? It could work, maybe, playing up the 'there was a boy/wasn't a boy' thing, by having both Jake in New York and Jake in end world plots running at the same time. Then go back to the beach in the sequel and take it through the Waste Lands. Not like Stephen King readers can complain about jumping around in time. But I'm still in 'wait and see' mode.

Maybe they just couldn't figure out how else to reload two revolvers at once while standing up.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Well, the gunslingers are kind of talked up as being the most badass guys around. Catching bullets with a flick of the wrist kind of sounds like Roland to me. The Dark Tower books aren't ALL action, no, but they're also huge texts. I remember plenty of lengthy action sequences in each book, particularly in 5, 6, and 7.

I don't remember anything too lengthy. Action beats, yes, but not in the way the trailer's portraying it as.
About the air reloading, I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility for a gunslinger, but it may just be one of those things that doesn't translate well to live action. I have difficulty buying it when it happens in animation.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I've had to think about it for a few days, but I'm more with Ite on this.

The gunslingers are supposed to be BAMFs, and -- even if King didn't always deliver on this -- he built up a great atmosphere of epic conflict. Heck, the final line of the first book was "The gunslinger waited for the time of the drawing and dreamed his long dreams of the Dark Tower, to which he would some day come at dusk and approach, winding his horn, to do some unimaginable final battle."

Given that this film is supposed to be as much a sequel to the books as an adaptation, I have no problem with this long-awaited promise finally being fulfilled.

Saw it. I'm kindof wondering why they even bothered to make it. It's a very simple story. A to B, B to C, C to D, end. They bring up grand concepts, but they're just dropped lines to try and give some sort of stakes/reasons.
Anyone who hasn't read the books, I can't imagine how they'll enjoy it beyond the acting, and the few jokes. For people who have, it's mostly just the joy of seeing references. It doesn't have much else.

vaderSW1

Saw it. I'm kindof wondering why they even bothered to make it. It's a very simple story. A to B, B to C, C to D, end. They bring up grand concepts, but they're just dropped lines to try and give some sort of stakes/reasons.
Anyone who hasn't read the books, I can't imagine how they'll enjoy it beyond the acting, and the few jokes. For people who have, it's mostly just the joy of seeing references. It doesn't have much else.

Your review is basically the same as just about every other review I've read/seen/heard. It's just more confirmation that the film is disappointing. What a shame. There was so much potential and it seems to have been completely wasted. I'm going to skip the theatre on this. I'll wait for it to hit Netflix or something.

I reckon they thought they could build a franchise on the star power of Elba, McConaughey, and King, so they skimped on the scriptwriters. At least, that's what it sounds like to me.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I saw it last night and was thoroughly pleased. I get why other people who have read it aren't happy, and why general audiences were confused, but I'm one reader of the books who enjoyed it.

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
I think the dark tower is nearly unadaptable, so I'm not really surprised or disappointed. There's only so much you can do with 2-3 hours.

Top Bottom