The Final Fantasy XIV Thread [Dawntrail - 7.00]

Dana Scully

Special Agent
AKA
YACCBS, Legato Bluesummers, Daenaerys Targaryen, Revy, Kate Beckett, Samantha Carter, Matsumoto Rangiku
2wq7wcmjpg.gif

This is strangely hypnotic.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I think a lot of it will be too little too late, but it's nice to see that they've at least heard the complaints and are trying to fix what they can.
it's good to see people are sending the developers a message

but just to make it clearer for them, better make sure it's in Chinese

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
lawl :monster:.

Really now, I can't believe that it being criticized is all due to the washlist of what really are minor issues. If the game itself (you know, that thing you do 99.9% of the time) was fun to do, it'd still get good reviews.

From what I'm reading (which isn't much btw) is that FFXIV is a very classic MMO, not trying to do something new in the slightest, just trying to emulate existing stuff - and poorly, it seems.

I mean, monthly subscriptions really only work for established games like WoW and Eve Online, :monster:. The competition's switched over to micropayments, like LotRO did - with good results, they say they get double the income now compared when they still did subscriptions.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Since Wada is effectively the main villian of this tale, what will his battle theme be?

Ghost X

Considering graphics weren't the problem, I don't think screen shots of the game will convince anyone they've fixed it.

Z

Zealkin

Well in the first two shots it looks like the fignting has gotten more "direct", but I doubt that all of the problems that the game had would simply go away. Even if they worked on it, some problems were so integrated that it seems unlikely that the game could get better.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
More details on "version 2.0"

Seriously, while I don't think this will work out, and it's a bit late in the game to be copying WoW, I really do think Naoki Yoshida deserves some kudos for being as frank and direct with the game's problems as he can be. He was a given what was - and likely still is - an impossible task. But it really seems like he's giving it his damndest. I can't be bothered with MMOs for the most part anyway, but I'd almost just like to see them pull this off just for his sake.

Like I said, I think the "see what WoW is doing" strategy is several years too late, but I must admit that this, at least:
Instead of giving every player the ability to summon primals like Ifrit or Shiva, there will only be one Ifrit per server. “The players will get together in their Free Companies [guilds] and they will fight Ifrit. If they defeat him, they will get the opportunity to summon him once. That Free Company will get to decide where and when to use him. Then Ifrit goes out to another place in the world for other people to go get him, so it’s like this competition between people in the world. This won’t be instanced, this will be public content, so anyone in the world can do it.” Until Ifrit is summoned, no other player group will be able to summon him. When Ifrit is actually brought into a fight it seems like nearly everyone in the server will know, because the skies will turn red. Then once the skies clear, you’ll know Ifrit is again available to defeat and acquire. “The whole world is involved in the summoning of these monsters.”
sounds pretty awesome.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I just dont get what went wrong.

FFXI was such a good MMORPG imo, it wasnt the best but it was definitely a cut above the rest.

Z

Zealkin

I liked XI a lot as well, I used to play it all the time, I can't believe they managed to make something that bad. Why would they change all the good aspects of their previous game that worked for players?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I've been in the beta since the first stage but for the life of me I can't get the thing to run properly. I flustered with the thing for a couple of months and then decided to stop trying.

Please let me know what I'm missing. XD

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Started it last night, and I'll play more tonight. I'm level 8, a dragoon, and so far just doing all the introductory bullshit. I try not to hold that against it, as even single player RPGs still insist on doing. But it is very...WoW. Kill X amount of things, find me this thing, deliver this message. The combat isn't bad, it's more enjoyable that FFXI's, that's for sure, but it's not terribly interesting either. I do like that there are a ton of quests, at least, and not just being required to grind like FFXI made you do. It annoys me that I don't have a Jump ability, and judging from my skill tree there won't be one :/ Apparently there's a Limit Break system when you're in a party, so maybe Jump will be my Limit Break, but I don't know yet.

I will say it is a gorgeous game. For an MMO, the cutscenes and characters and animations look very good. There's a lot of badass looking (and ridiculous looking) equipment and weapons. Even the HUD is pretty.

The story actually seems pretty interesting so far, so I'm hopeful that once I get into it, the quests will stop being so cut and paste. Initial impression then - it's not a bad timesink, but wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it. We'll see if that changes.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
(I have learned that I WILL get Jump when and if I reach the Dragoon "prestige class." -at which point I can also get the bitchin' Kain armor- I know I said I was Dragoon already, but that's just because FF Tactics trained me to think Lancers were the same thing. So, crisis averted there :monster:)

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
I remember back in the beta testing for the original FFXIV I actually got invited for testing, but because I didn't quite have the internet for it back then (3 gigabyte limited + unlimited throttled lol 30 kbps back then) I never actually ended up trying out the game :monster:

Now testing is restricted to only a handful of regions ;-; Do you think it's worth a subscription?

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
So is the Beta done?

Their forums have a thread from 4am this morning saying phase 3 is done, but when I log into the FF14 server it just says it's temporarily down because of congestion.

I liked grinding and wanted to take out an adamantoise.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I thought it was just done for the weekend? My friends that were in the beta for the earlier phases said it was only open on the weekends. (Though I wish that meant Saturday and Sunday for me and not Friday and Saturday...)

@Satsu - Do you like the way most MMOs play? If so, probably? The only MMO I ever really got into was Guild Wars 1, which I know is only kinda half an MMO as it is entirely possible to solo the whole thing. I have a problem with the subscription model because I hate the idea that I'm going to feel I have to play this game every month a certain amount to get my money's worth. Whereas Guild Wars I could ignore for months on end, before coming back like nothing happened.

I was kinda hoping I'd get a full day of playing today, but I really have enjoyed it so far. I was hoping it'd be a little less derivative, but I haven't played an MMO since GW so maybe I had an itch for this type of gameplay. Like I said the game is really pretty, and I love the FF job system. So that immediately gives it a boost and I think that multiclassing simply involves changing weapons is pretty cool (though I don't think I've gotten there yet). So far, the enemies have been varied enough for me, and the story has kept me engaged.

So...I dunno. If this game followed Guild Wars' model, and I just paid 60 bucks to play it all I want with the understanding that there would be lots of expansions to buy if I wanted them, I would get it. I don't know about a monthly subscription though.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Seems like the next phase is called Lodestone and was intended to be released the 16 or 17th, but character importing is giving them delays. I'll be checking this sucker daily.

Jack Gilmour

Rookie Adventurer
AKA
AH88, ahall89, ahall88
I enjoyed what I played of the beta this past weekend.
Was able to get my archer up to level 12 and traveled from Gridania to Ul'dah. Going to try out some new classes next weekend.

Top Bottom