• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

The Mandalorian: Star Wars Live Action Series

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
(This is one of those times why I'm grateful for my billing address in the US and the existence of VPNs). :mon:

Maybe this is what happens after getting to see Episode IX (and the other Star Wars films) two days before America does for so long.

X :neo:

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
This one's not really Disney's call, although it sort of is their responsibility. It's because European legislation requires that all streaming services here have a minimum of 30% of their content made within the European Union. Essentially those rules are in place to ensure that services promote and maintain media-related jobs where they're being released, rather than taking potential revenue away from local media entities that can't compete with them.

The launch date mismatch really sucks for consumers waiting for launch titles, but overall there is a really good reason for having those requirements in place – plus as soon as they have the service in place there shouldn't be any content release date mismatches from there on out.

X:neo:

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
Episode 1 is now out. I will watch it sometime later.

mt70pqip8kc21.jpg

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
So just gonna throw this out there – this is SUCH an awesome format for Star Wars content. You can tell that Dave is a little bit more used to directing animation, especially when it comes to the flow of how dialogue happens, and the way that things are blocked out. It very much feels like it's his live action directorial debut, but I think that he'll probably get his feet with it pretty quickly, and things flow a lot more smoothly when the actors on screen are more experienced. (Both of the alien characters in the pub opening feel like they're just ever-so-slightly not quite there for what you'd expect acting-wise, especially measured up against what the other characters manage to bring to the table).

That being said – everything else is utterly spectacular, and holy fucking gods the rest of it delivered in SPADES.

Taika Waititi as IG-11 REALLY nailed down the sort of comedic banter that Dave goes for and those assault scenes worked spectacularly. The "I have spoken" alien, Imperial employer, and Carl Weathers all nailed what it was clear they needed to – especially interacting with The Mandalorian who is very short on dialogue.

Tons of REALLY important little bits of Mandalorian lore sprinkled around, and giving a good sense of the state of the Galaxy, as well as setting up really interesting moral positioning for the main character from interactions and only one tiny flashback – He's a foundling (orphan), he doesn't like droids (orphaned by Super Battle Droids killing his parents during the Clone Wars), he doesn't like the Empire especially since it fell (refuses Imperial credits for Mon Calamari currency since they're the main battle ship supplier for the Rebelion-turned-New-Republic), we see that he's maybe in his prime but he's still earning his own and not fully fledged from a Mandalorian standpoint (constructing his own armor and hasn't revealed his sigil yet).

But really, the absolute biggest thing of all is that bounty:
THAT is something that only Dave Filoni could POSSIBLY have been trusted to deliver.

Just to be clear on how big of a deal that is – Yoda's species is unknown, his home world is unknown, his non-film appearances have only been touched on VERY lightly once or twice in supplemental material. Yaddle is the only other one of his species ever shown, and no one else has EVER been allowed to write content or material giving any specifics to those things, because George never figured that out, and specifically kept that unrevealed:

We saw that picture of George on the set with Dave Filoni & Jon Favreau a while back, and it seems as though George Lucas directly contributed any of the content involving what we're learning in this show.

HOLY. SHIT.

Being a fan through the old EU, just having a piece of material that's allowed to touch on that stuff is a pretty big deal – even from the perspective of people who get to poke around at a lot of the best Star Wars lore like Dave has with the Mortis Gods in Clone Wars & Rebels, this is still something pretty damn jaw-dropping that it's getting to go there.

My biggest hope is that this means that there's a level of understanding that a big part of the magic to characters from the OT like Boba Fett & Yoda are wrapped up in the mystery of them, and I think that Dave understands that well enough that this is a bit of a "we're going to give you more – but just enough to deepen the mystery in other new ways" that doesn't fall into the over-explanation trap that the Prequels did with Boba.

Last edited:

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
k, I’m having a watch. Reactions to follow.

11:00 Oh man. Oh man this is all so sexy to look at. 19:00 ARE THOSE HELMET HORNS?!!? Maul thoughts intensify!!!! Hnnnggg!!!! You know whose accent this woman has? Dutchess Satine. Based on my memory. I might be remembering wrong but...I could swear...maybe her and Satine are from the same place on Mandalorian?
26:00 God the makeup artists did such a good job on all this. Also, the CGI (something that usually bugs me) isn’t bad at all.
27:00 Please let the bounty be Ashoka or Maul. I’m not sure if the timeline or who is 50 years old right now.
35:00 ooooommmmmmyyygoooddd it’s the cutest thing everrrrrr!!!!! Who tf this baby belong to???! I only recall one female of Yoda’s species on the Jedi council...

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
Important!

Also, I love the second episode. There is almost a Genndy Tartakovsky feel to the way that there's so little dialogue, and I absolutely cannot praise that enough. There's something about the way that this show feels in the way that that forces character interactions that it feels like it's still being seen through the eyes of a kid who grew up watching things like Willow, and the Ewok Adventures. Like… so far this is very much the best of Star Wars just living in the mind of a 12-year-old kid who's the prime audience for it.

It's hard to describe, but I mean that in the most genuine and sincerely praiseworthy way. This show is genuinely just wonderful, and I am just endlessly pleased by it, and these two episodes have been the sort of Star Wars that prime Star Wars age 12-year-old me would have been utterly entranced and captivated by.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I forgot to post after last week's episode. All I had to say was...I'm just so amazed by how much gets said in the scenes with literally no verbiage. :monster:

It's funny how The Mandalorian has been so quiet all this time. If you'll recall, he hardly spoke to any of his previous passengers. Now he's narrating events for this baby, either to keep it entertained, or to provide some kind of educational insight? :lol:

OMG, loth-cat????

I love how Pablo hasn't taken off his helmet yet and he's still a freaking awesome character.

X-SOLDIER

AKA
X
I loved that this week's episode gave a little time to vocalize and establish some concerns & character around our duo. I also appreciated that there was a line near the end that they'd spent a couple weeks there. With montages and cuts and things, it's easy to have no sense of time during episodes that require prep work or have some level of establishing relationships with people around them. (The most classic being that it's super hard to get a sense of how long The Empire Strikes Back is). That one little minor detail made a HUGE difference to my perception of the episode and made it seem much more events that may have seemed rushed felt a lot more well-paced.

I can't imagine how awesome it would've been to be the young actors & actresses who played Winta and the other kids.

Lastly, with the established canon around Mandalorians and their helmets, I'm wondering if this is something that arose post-Return-of-the-Jedi, if it's something specific to Foundlings, or if it's something specific to whichever Mandalorian House they belong to, since we've seen different behaviour before — most specifically by Sabine Wren during Rebels. We know that Clan Wren is a member of House Viszla, and that House Kryze was the ruling House then, and they lead the Mandalorian resistance.

I'm curious if this is something reaching back towards traditionalist Mandalorian roots from before they were pacifists during the Clone Wars era, since that seemed to be what Death Watch and the Viszla Clan/House wanted to bring back, and we know that Bo-Katan Kryze was formerly affiliated with Death Watch. It also feels like this may be retroactively establishing some context around Boba Fett since he was Kaminoan, and Jango was apparently from Concord Dawn, making it so that technically they weren't Mandalorian, but it may be that Boba was adopted as a foundling at some point, and that's when we see him don the armor and become the sole Mandalorian who's seem during the original Trilogy.

Either way, lots of really interesting background stuff to chew on from this show in addition to just being DAMN good Star Wars.

X :neo:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I loved that this week's episode gave a little time to vocalize and establish some concerns & character around our duo. I also appreciated that there was a line near the end that they'd spent a couple weeks there. With montages and cuts and things, it's easy to have no sense of time during episodes that require prep work or have some level of establishing relationships with people around them. (The most classic being that it's super hard to get a sense of how long The Empire Strikes Back is). That one little minor detail made a HUGE difference to my perception of the episode and made it seem much more events that may have seemed rushed felt a lot more well-paced.

I can't imagine how awesome it would've been to be the young actors & actresses who played Winta and the other kids.

Lastly, with the established canon around Mandalorians and their helmets, I'm wondering if this is something that arose post-Return-of-the-Jedi, if it's something specific to Foundlings, or if it's something specific to whichever Mandalorian House they belong to, since we've seen different behaviour before — most specifically by Sabine Wren during Rebels. We know that Clan Wren is a member of House Viszla, and that House Kryze was the ruling House then, and they lead the Mandalorian resistance.

I'm curious if this is something reaching back towards traditionalist Mandalorian roots from before they were pacifists during the Clone Wars era, since that seemed to be what Death Watch and the Viszla Clan/House wanted to bring back, and we know that Bo-Katan Kryze was formerly affiliated with Death Watch. It also feels like this may be retroactively establishing some context around Boba Fett since he was Kaminoan, and Jango was apparently from Concord Dawn, making it so that technically they weren't Mandalorian, but it may be that Boba was adopted as a foundling at some point, and that's when we see him don the armor and become the sole Mandalorian who's seem during the original Trilogy.

Either way, lots of really interesting background stuff to chew on from this show in addition to just being DAMN good Star Wars.

Agreed. Fenn Rau is a non-pacifist, non-Death Watch Mandalorian warrior active in the Clone Wars on the Republic side that had a base on Concord Dawn so I think Filoni had plans to make that connection to Jango. As for Boba, depends on if the Bounty Hunter arc is gonna be in the Clone Wars episodes that'll get to air after all.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
10 minutes in and I'm not enjoying the episode so far. Not sure what it is I don't like....the acting of the extras? Direction? Idk.

Seems like a filler episode. Did not enjoy. I realize now, after looking it up, that this was directed by Dave Filoni. I suspected this, actually...and decided not to look up the director until I finished watching it. Because I'm a super Filoni fangirl and I didn't want to be all positively biased. Haha. I have to be honest though, I just didn't enjoy it as much as the other episodes. Every scene and all the acting was so very awkward to me for some reason.

trash panda

---m(O.O)gle---
AKA
Howl
I'm trying to determine Din Djarin's approximate age. So...

• If Din's parents were running from Separatist droids before they died, then they likely died during The Clone Wars, which spanned from 22BBY - 19BBY. The Confederacy of Independent Systems was established a few years prior to the whole all-out war regime led by Dooku, but the actual "war" was from 22-19BBY.
  • Also, Death Watch (who rescued young Din) was still a thing up until it was kinda/sorta overrun by Maul in 19BBY.
  • In his childhood flashbacks, I'm approximating that he was 6 years old. Anyone think otherwise? I can't find any info on the actor who played young Din, so I have to guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • So if Din was 6 years old between 22-19BBY, that means he's between 34-37 in The Mandalorian, nay?
So if Din became a foundling during the clone wars, I have questions, and I know we have to wait for answers, but still...
  • Maul took charge of Mandalore and was subsequently removed from power in 19BBY (when Din was a kid). So Din has to have some knowledge and/or affiliation with Maul. I know Din isn't from Mandalore, but Death Watch was....and they're the ones who rescued him.
  • Maul was removed from power by the Jedi. So...I mean, obviously this raises questions about why the armorer was referring to Jedi as ancient sorcerers. Also, Tarre Vizsla was a legendary Mandalorian Jedi who build the Darksaber. And...there is a member of clan Vizsla in Din's tribe on the show. So...confusion. They have to know a thing or two about the Jedi order.
  • Also, interesting side note. Pre Vizsla and Paz Vizsla are both voiced by the same actor.
  • What happened to Death Watch? What happened to Bo-Katan...she was the last one with the Darksaber before Moff Giddeon, as far as we know...?
  • Where...is....Sabine...in a show about Mandalorians, seriously, where tf she at???

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I'm trying to determine Din Djarin's approximate age. So...

• If Din's parents were running from Separatist droids before they died, then they likely died during The Clone Wars, which spanned from 22BBY - 19BBY. The Confederacy of Independent Systems was established a few years prior to the whole all-out war regime led by Dooku, but the actual "war" was from 22-19BBY.
  • Also, Death Watch (who rescued young Din) was still a thing up until it was kinda/sorta overrun by Maul in 19BBY.
  • In his childhood flashbacks, I'm approximating that he was 6 years old. Anyone think otherwise? I can't find any info on the actor who played young Din, so I have to guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • So if Din was 6 years old between 22-19BBY, that means he's between 34-37 in The Mandalorian, nay?
So if Din became a foundling during the clone wars, I have questions, and I know we have to wait for answers, but still...
  • Maul took charge of Mandalore and was subsequently removed from power in 19BBY (when Din was a kid). So Din has to have some knowledge and/or affiliation with Maul. I know Din isn't from Mandalore, but Death Watch was....and they're the ones who rescued him.
  • Maul was removed from power by the Jedi. So...I mean, obviously this raises questions about why the armorer was referring to Jedi as ancient sorcerers. Also, Tarre Vizsla was a legendary Mandalorian Jedi who build the Darksaber. And...there is a member of clan Vizsla in Din's tribe on the show. So...confusion. They have to know a thing or two about the Jedi order.
  • Also, interesting side note. Pre Vizsla and Paz Vizsla are both voiced by the same actor.
  • What happened to Death Watch? What happened to Bo-Katan...she was the last one with the Darksaber before Moff Giddeon, as far as we know...?
  • Where...is....Sabine...in a show about Mandalorians, seriously, where tf she at???
So the kid's actor's birthdate is 2008-12-30 sauce, so he was 10 when they filmed his scenes. Death Watch were allies of the Seperatists until the TCW episode "A Friend In Need" in the year 20 BBY, Death Watch gets divided into Maul's Mandalorian Supercommandos and Bo-Katan's Nite Owls by 19 BBY. So that puts him at 38-39. And it seems that Maul was removed from power by the Clones and Ahsoka (technically not a Jedi). The Siege of Mandalore also happens basically at the same time as Revenge of the Sith, so the clones and ahsoka weren't exactly sticking around to tell fun Jedi stories afterwards. The armorer should absolutely know better though.

Top Bottom