Theory: Genesis is actually a Deconstruction of the Marty Stu, Villain Sue AND Self-Insert tropes

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/FinalFantasyVII

I saw this on TV Tropes on the WMG that says that Genesis is the deconstruction of Marty Stu, Villain Sue AND Self-Insert tropes. The WMG does bring up some points but one thing I would point out is the fact that the game goes out his way to try to treat him as sympathetic even though he is a jerk who has a its all about me mentality and never truly answers for his crimes. Not to mention he gets everything he wants in the end as well. Not to mention his so called tragic backstory isn't that tragic because of the fact he grew up with loving,wealthy foster parents and never in a lab setting like Sephiroth. One can say even his condition doesn't make him sympathetic because of what he does in order to attain a cure which includes burning down his hometown, killing his foster parents, condemning the SOLDIER members who followed to an early death because they took his cells, and did his part in helping one of his friends to his own road of darkness.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I think we've already established that not everyone on the forums thinks that Genesis was portrayed in a sympathetic light.

Not to mention that I stopped taking any stock in what TvTopes thinks about popular works ever since I saw what they thought of the Naruto series (the majority of people's reaction there are along the lines that the series headed into They Wasted A Perfectly Good Plot, Jumping The Shark and Only The Author Can Save Them Now territory). Which is kinda funny give how much time I spend participating in the forums over there...

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
Can't really say if he was truly portrayed unneccesarily sympathetically or genuine deconstruction of a Mary Sue because we never got a final chapter to the Compilation. Was Genesis intended to be the protagonist or was he only gonna make trouble for Cloud and Vince, well intentioned or not?

jazzflower92

Pro Adventurer
AKA
The Girl With A Strong Opinion
I think we've already established that not everyone on the forums thinks that Genesis was portrayed in a sympathetic light.

Not to mention that I stopped taking any stock in what TvTopes thinks about popular works ever since I saw what they thought of the Naruto series (the majority of people's reaction there are along the lines that the series headed into They Wasted A Perfectly Good Plot, Jumping The Shark and Only The Author Can Save Them Now territory). Which is kinda funny give how much time I spend participating in the forums over there...

Actually I share the same opinion on what happened to the series because it did get worse and worse as time went on.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I think this theory gives much more credit to Square Enix' writing than is perhaps merited.

Skan

Pro Adventurer
AKA
dief
It's okay, the author is dead.

(To be entirely fair though: Squeenix, FF7, and deconstruction are words that do go together.)

MakoHeadrush

MassHole
Wait, Genesis wasn't solely created for the Gackt cameo? I thought that was the character's only purpose. :)

Half-joking, but if I remember correctly, that's how the...erm, genesis, of the character began. I believe they came up with the character concept then suddenly decided Gackt should be involved, then molded things around this sort of Gackt/Genesis concept.

I could be wrong, though, it's early, my synapses are not firing, and there is not enough coffee in the office. >_>

Top Bottom