• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

TLS Discord (More better than Skype)

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Just poke around in the discord, see what happens. I've got it on most of the time (although my first world problem is that I've got both Skype and Discord on my second monitor but it's too small to show both clearly :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Yeah, it seems to be more active when I'm asleep, but that could just be down to timezones. It does get a bit more active at the weekend when everyone's being alcoholics not working. :monster:

Fangu

Great Old One
Okay so since Discord is widely known nao and is Teh Future etc, and some people in the Skype group chat isn't even aware that that particular group chat is open to public, hao about we get rid of the Skype link on that site now and link to https://discord.gg/qqGG2eb on thelifestream.net/chat instead? idk, make a poll or something?

Fangu

Great Old One
Oh, and this:
Since we don't have a lot of conversation in our server at the moment, I don't think we need extra channels. Exceptions are specific events, games, etc. Otherwise music discussion will be perfectly welcome in #chitchat. :)

But I'm not the one in charge really. Joe set it up and a few of us are admins so that's just my opinion.
I second this. I think there's already too many rooms on the server, considering how many people are active on it. That being said, it's nice to have conversation for specific events, like kupocon and eurovision. And I guess the FFXV talk is so specific it's nice for it to have its own room. Edit: Oh and I just read the description of nocontext, I guess that room makes sense too.

Talking about the eurovision room though, might as well delete it now, or disable it, or whatever is possible on Discord; I don't know Discord very well :monster: I guess it could be fun to have it around for next year though. I dunno.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I made the #eurovision channel read-only already (edit: confirmed working). I can also hide it from the channel list for non-admins without deleting it. I guess we should probably do that and then bring it back next year.

+1 from me for changing our public chat link to Discord.

Last edited:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
I'm all for it, too. The Discord app runs so much better on my PC and phone than Skype ever did. :awesome:

Fangu

Great Old One
I also want to revive my request for renaming #chitchat to #tls, for nostalgia's sake :monster:

Edit: Unless that means that it no longer stays on top of the list :closedmonster:

Last edited:

Flare

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Flare
I use Discord and Skype both; I have no problem with changing the official TLS public chat link thingamajig to the Discord channel, so do eeeet :monster:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I only downloaded Discord because we'll use it for the E3 voice chat.

But it does allow me to use :monster: so that's a plus

Lex

Administrator
As the person who invented both of the major TLS skype chats, I'd like to kind of urge everyone to move to Discord. It's just better.

I could dissolve the big group skype chat, but I wouldn't do that to people who wish to stay. Maybe we could discuss just phasing it out or whatever though. I'd really like to get rid of Skype.

Fangu

Great Old One
Wait, there's two? Oh, yeah, Vladislav!

Anyway the current public one I actually created, no you :monster:

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Does this mean I can get shut of the Skype app? It's​clogging up my phone.

Fangu

Great Old One
Oh, and I meant to reply to this:
I could dissolve the big group skype chat, but I wouldn't do that to people who wish to stay. Maybe we could discuss just phasing it out or whatever though. I'd really like to get rid of Skype.
Yeah phasing out would be better, people are using the current public one on a daily basis. I mean I'd probably want to get rid of it eventually, but people would be given time to move before that happens. What we could do right away is remove the link to it, as a way of saying "tls's official chat is now on Discord".

I'm getting sick of Skype too. The only reason I wanted to make that chat and call it the official one is because IRC was broken anyway, and I'd rather have one major public chat than ten smaller ones. TLS is one forum after all, not ten. Now that Discord is more widely known, I'd say we're ready to make the move. It's a much better technology. Skype wasn't made for larger groups of people. It's lazy and resource demanding and terrible on mobile.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I only just ogt an update for the Skype client on Windows (a windows store app) and it seems like a (much-needed) rebuild, not as shit as the original. Off course, it doesn't seem to start automatically anymore and I CBA to figure out how to make it work :monster:

Discord has the :monster: too. What I'd like from Discord is to open up the TLS window by default, instead of the friends list - whoever invented that needs to hECKing take my suggestion and allow me to configure it to open TLS first. Actually let me check if that's an option already. fake edit: nope :/

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
I only just ogt an update for the Skype client on Windows (a windows store app) and it seems like a (much-needed) rebuild, not as shit as the original. Off course, it doesn't seem to start automatically anymore and I CBA to figure out how to make it work :monster:

Discord has the :monster: too. What I'd like from Discord is to open up the TLS window by default, instead of the friends list - whoever invented that needs to hECKing take my suggestion and allow me to configure it to open TLS first. Actually let me check if that's an option already. fake edit: nope :/

Maybe I misunderstand, but I'm pretty sure there has got to be an option for that in Discord.

Mine never opens up into the friends list, it just always shows me the last server i had left it viewing when ever i load it up :reptar:

Fangu

Great Old One
Okay gais, it's clear that the Skype group chat is still a lot more hoppin than Discord. I don't really want to keep having two chats around, you never know which one to talk in, so you kind of end up talking in both but it's a bit confussing.

Soooo do we set up a poll? I have the rights to kill the Skype chat but I'd really rather not.

The thing is, I guess people don't really care and would rather continue as they do today, to which I have no objection. The IRC is dead soooooo happy days are over anyway. idk I have a feeling it's all anarchy and to me anarchy is fine. Although I'd like for everyone to have one place to stay. It's more communityish.

I'm not really sure what I'm saying, vent ur thoughts :monster: Or not :monster:

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I honestly haven't used Skype since Discord came around, it runs so much better and doesn't kill my PC. So for obvious reasons, Discord gets my undivided attention and vote. :monster:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
It will literally always be anarchy. Most people tend to hop between both which keeps them both alive. :monster:

I don't use Skype for anything anymore so Discord is my go to. I don't feel like we need to make the community choose one though.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
What they said. People can use whatever they prefer. On a personal level, there's no going back to Skype now that I'm used to Discord. :P

Fangu

Great Old One
:(

But that means there's no place to point new members of the community. Which is literally saying 'we're fine with being elitist shitbags who don't like new people keeping chat secondary'. Which, again, I have no problem with, but it's kind of sad. That being said, maybe it's no loss. I can name a handful of people who became active through chat but I guess persistent members will persist anyway because of staying active in the forums. In the end they will be invited into (one of the) private group chats and a sense of community will be anyway.

I'd still want to pick one official channel. Or, well, have none. I guess that's our best option really.

Poll? (Skype/ Discord/ no public chat)

Top Bottom