TLS.net Finances

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
she. Textbooks raep everyone. They're easily the worst part of college costs, at least for people who go to public universities.

sephirothpaine

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=164.msg6094#msg6094 date=1231193354]
[quote author=sephirothpaine link=topic=164.msg5961#msg5961 date=1231133861]
I can't........I blame college and my $300+ books.
[/quote]

holyshits, what book could possibly be $300+ without being made of pure sheet gold, :monster:
[/quote]

That's what it is listed at my college :monster: Damn gold diggers ><
It's Human A and P (w/IP 10, Brf Atlas, 9e Upd Cat Lab, Get Ready, Pal) : 7th Marieb -$295
Then there's my dissectiing kits- $23
and some other little things like gloves and scale cards
And that all so far for just one class( that isn't including tuition btw) :monster:

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
[quote author=Cthulhu link=topic=164.msg5795#msg5795 date=1231087313]
Just don't donate if you can't actually afford it, :monster:.
[/quote]

I won't, but honestly I should be able to give you something in the year. :P

[quote author=sephirothpaine link=topic=164.msg6152#msg6152 date=1231200096]It's Human A and P (w/IP 10, Brf Atlas, 9e Upd Cat Lab, Get Ready, Pal) : 7th Marieb -$295[/quote]

Care to type that all out in long form? :duhard: :o

sephirothpaine

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Arianna link=topic=164.msg6154#msg6154 date=1231200637]
[quote author=sephirothpaine link=topic=164.msg6152#msg6152 date=1231200096]It's Human A and P (w/IP 10, Brf Atlas, 9e Upd Cat Lab, Get Ready, Pal) : 7th Marieb -$295[/quote]

Care to type that all out in long form? :duhard: :o
[/quote]

I just copyed it from my print out from the book store. The book is for Human Anatomy & Physiology.

[quote author=V link=topic=164.msg6146#msg6146 date=1231198655]
she. Textbooks raep everyone. They're easily the worst part of college costs, at least for people who go to public universities.
[/quote]

Especially when you have teachers who wrote the textbooks, make you buy them, even multiple books written by them, and then they don't use them. It's such a scam and you can't do anything about it unless you want to risk being stuck without the textbook.

I'm so glad my college now has most of the textbooks online. 1/5 classes needed me to buy a book, but it's a really really good book, and we get to use it for two more semesters.

sephirothpaine

Pro Adventurer
[quote author=Balthea link=topic=164.msg6217#msg6217 date=1231219461]
[quote author=V link=topic=164.msg6146#msg6146 date=1231198655]
[/quote]

Especially when you have teachers who wrote the textbooks, make you buy them, even multiple books written by them, and then they don't use them. It's such a scam and you can't do anything about it unless you want to risk being stuck without the textbook.

I'm so glad my college now has most of the textbooks online. 1/5 classes needed me to buy a book, but it's a really really good book, and we get to use it for two more semesters.
[/quote]

I "had" to buy an art book last semester, About $90. I didn't even used it once.

I think most of the colleges have stock in the damn textbook market or something.

And now they are screwing students over by forcing them to buy textbooks that have an one time registion to online part.(this is where all homework/test are tooken) after you complete the course, the books are useless for resale since you will need the code to get online.

Nocturne

Watching Thee From The Moon
AKA
Just Nocturne will do
Im not buying any text books this semester unless I absolutely have to. I bought a Physiology book last semester for 120 off amazon, it was 180 in the actual book store, and we never were required to use it and all of the professors said all material would come from their notes and powerpoint slides. Pretty much every other book besides one in Pharmacy School we didnt use so I wasted about 200-300 dollars.

It's ridiculous.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
[quote author=Nocturne link=topic=164.msg6229#msg6229 date=1231224190]
Im not buying any text books this semester unless I absolutely have to. I bought a Physiology book last semester for 120 off amazon, it was 180 in the actual book store, and we never were required to use it and all of the professors said all material would come from their notes and powerpoint slides. Pretty much every other book besides one in Pharmacy School we didnt use so I wasted about 200-300 dollars.

It's ridiculous.
[/quote]

Im pretty much doing that when i go to college (yes im 20 , yes ive been putting it off :P). My friend bought books for all his classes his first year and never used one as well. Atleast he got some of his money back be reselling :P

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Woot, donations have started to come in at last (that, and the donate button's fixxed, lolz). So here comes the first big discussion.

What should we invest in first? There's two things that can be done with the money:

The first is to have me transfer it to my own personal account, in order to repay the initial (hosting) investment of around €90-€100, 30 at our first (Dutch) host, and a good 60 / 65 to Bluehost, our current (and not too shabby) host.

The second option is to invest in a vBulletin license, which will cost around €180 or something (or that might be the dollar price). That would buy us an unlimited license and one year of updates, after which we'd have to pay to get more updates.

I'm personally inclined to the first, but that's because I'm a greedy Dutch bastard, :monster:, and I think the current forum software is performing well enough, :monster:.

So, what's your take? It's your money, after all :monster:.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Do you think we'd get more membership and traffic if we switched to VBulletin?

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Well, I know I would be more active. I know V stated he would. I'm sure we're not alone. It would also make it much easier to mod since I'm so used to using the VB ACP, etc.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
I'm thinking we should probably focus on the VBulletin first then as well.

And I'll definitely be donating more. So don't worry Yop :monster:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
That depends. There's what we want to do, and what we need to do. So throwing personal desires aside, what NEEDS to be done first? Make payments to the old and current hosts, or upgrade to VB?

CK

buried but breathing
AKA
CK, 2D, wanker
Wait til next month at least before you switch to vb so I can put my donation forward. It should be around $150NZD depending on how my bills are and stuff but most likely $150. :monster:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
[quote author=Makoeyes987 link=topic=164.msg19186#msg19186 date=1234906273]
Do you think we'd get more membership and traffic if we switched to VBulletin?
[/quote]

That might be possible, ofttimes people are more inclined to frequent a site if the look and feel is familiar. Even with our own design, the look and feel of a vB forum is a lot different from that of our current forum. That, and everyone knows where the buttons are, roughly.

[quote author=Tennyo link=topic=164.msg19240#msg19240 date=1234914992]
what NEEDS to be done first? Make payments to the old and current hosts, or upgrade to VB?
[/quote]

Payment for our current host won't be due until next November or something, and we're not experiencing any performance problems yet as far as I know, so hosting's probably a lower priority at the moment.

There do seem to be a lot more mods and whatnot out for vB, and its coding and templating system(s) are easier than the ones used in this one (although I'm still not a fan of either. Seriously, I should just develop my own one if I have the time). But adding stuff like a shop and other user enhancements would probably be a lot easier in vB. That, and I'd like to see what they'll do with vB 4.0, which they're currently developing.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Yeah, I seriously want vB too. Let's get a good vB out as soon as we possibly can.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
[quote author=Cookie Monster link=topic=164.msg19518#msg19518 date=1234985984]
Do we already have enough to upgrade?

I'd assume the forums would have close temporarily. How long would it take?
[/quote]

Nope, we'd need about twice as much as we have now. As I stated in another thread, I don't have a problem with being open about TLS's financial status, so if you're curious, feel free to ask.

As for how long it would take, it kinda depends on a few factors:

* wicba
* How long it would take to transfer the layout (probably an afternoon of fiddling with CSS)
* Whether vB offers a proper post transfer script for our current software version.

I reckon it could be done in a week or less, but it kinda depends on how much time I could / would spend on it and on the transfer thingy. If the transfer thingy isn't present, I'd have to hack it myself, which could take a tad longer depending on what that code looks like. Worst case I'd have to write a custom transfer script / program, but that could also be done in a matter of days at most.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I'd be more than willing to donate more munniez although probably only once every month at most. Since I need some income as well. :duhard:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
[quote author=Tetsujin link=topic=164.msg19568#msg19568 date=1234987912]
I'd be more than willing to donate more munniez although probably only once every month at most. Since I need some income as well. :duhard:
[/quote]

As do I, gimme ur moneyz :monster:.

Cookie Monster

NOM NOM NOM
Well, with CK's and Mumble's donations, we should have more than enough, and we should have extra which we can use to payoff the host.

Top Bottom