TLS Ranks... The Best Cinematics in Final Fantasy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
best cinematics.png

Cinematics are the cutscenes in a game that are utilised to progress a story forward or to highlight a vital moment. Some awesome cinematics have come out of the whole of Final Fantasy, but we wonder… which do you think are the best??

The creative team would love to hear from the community as we put together: “The VII Best... Cinematics in Final Fantasy.” :)

I would love you to, please, take the time to list some of your favourite cinematics from Final Fantasy either in this survey or in the thread below and keep an eye out for more surveys in the upcoming weeks posted by our very own CrashOuch!

As with the other videos, we’d love to quote you, but only if you permit us to! Please, please indicate whether you’d rather not be quoted because the assumption will be that you are going forward. Thank you! Oh, and be mindful of spoilers. :watchingu:

This first round of gathering cinematics will be open for 10 days before we start the polling. :)

Last edited:

Mother

Pro Adventurer
AKA
B
The Supernova attack cutscene in the final FFVII battle with Sephiroth. Thankful because it allowed me to duck out of the house, buy groceries, have an existential crisis in aisle 3, go home, cook a meal, wash dishes, watch them dry and come back to the game just in time for the flare to hit my party. They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The cutscene of Lightning and her companions returning to Cocoon in FFXIII was one of the most epic and beautiful scenes in FF.

That, and the entire beginning and ending cutscenes of Lightning Returns as well.

Which is interesting cause all these scenes are filled with very loud callbacks to FFVII.

The return to Cocoon opens up with a scene reminiscent of Cloud and his party's parachuting for their return to Midgar.

The opening cutscene of Lightning Returns has a panning shot through Yusanaan that's almost a complete recreation of the opening of FFVII.

And the ending of Lightning Returns
features her summoning the souls of the world ala the Lifestream of FFVII. The entire scene of the world being reborn features the souls as green tendrils of energy going through the planet...
And it's so reminiscent of FFVII I thought I was looking at the opening of AC again or something.

So yeah, those are my votes :mon:

EDIT: Also, fuck it. The intro to XIII-2. That intro/beginning was literally what made me interested in the XIII saga and decide to give it a chance. That beginning right there.

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
The scene in FFX where we first see Seymour summon Anima. We've already been introduced to summoners and how strong Aeons are at this point. Then we get to this part.
A giant, restrained monstrosity is brought out of the underworld. It then proceeds to blink fiends out of existence. Like damn. That's how you convey the power of your antagonist.

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite
Hoh jeez. A lot of my favourite cinematics are interspersed with scenes and even battles, such as the Weapon vs. Junon sequence in FFVII, the Black Waltz No. 3 encounter in FFIX, and the parade in FFVIII. Individually, the CG video files don’t compare to one of those single moments like the Opening of FFXI but as a sequence they are SO good.

If it has to be one un-segmented experience, my vote is for the opening of FFXII. Everything about it is awesome.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
End of an Era, the cut-scene that ended FFXIV 1.0. The pacing of it is incredible and it has everything that makes Final Fantasy feel like Final Fantasy in it (magic, warmechas, summons, etc.).

I'll probably think of some more from FFXIV over the rest of the week. We get the full opening cinematic from 5.0 and the last 4.x cut-scenes by then...

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
Hokay... I might be biased, but hear me out!

I've always thought the introduction to XII was fantastic, for a number of reasons. It was a gorgeous FMV sequence for it's time on the PS2 and I'm instantly reminded of old school Final Fantasy games because we're treated to medieval knights, chocobos, and airships all at once. It starts on a high note with a wedding, then moves to a serious one with a massive and bloody battle with foot soldiers, cavalry, and airships, and then ends with a somber funeral. We're shown the world, the people, and what's at stake within approximately 7 minutes, with not a word of narration. I think that's some pretty good storytelling in just that short amount of time.

Anyway uh yeah, totally not biased. :monstersmash:

Ghost X

FFVII:
- The scene where...
AERITH DIES
FFVIII:
- Intro of FFVIII
- The scene where Edea's visor and hair retracts, and she greets the crowd.
FFIX:
- The black waltz scene where a bunch of black mages die or something.
- Bahamut versus Brahne's fleet.
- Bahamut versus Alexander.
FFX:
- Sin's Gravija attack.
FFXII:
- When Vayne walks out and becomes the bahumut end boss thing.

Last edited:

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
551934817814708269.png
L A S T D A Y
551934817814708269.png

Currently have 26. HUMPH. I'mma add Zacksu's Death at the end of CC because Cloud's scream has lead to many a meme in my lifetime and I'll always be thankful for that.

I'm gonna add the OG death scene, too, because I think it's the actual best because the silence is golden tbh.

Last edited:

Ghost X

If we're including ACC, then my favourite bit from that is the battle in the tunnel on the motorcycles with the remnants and Cloud. Wouldn't that also mean we're involving Kingslaive, and FF: The Spirits Within? :P.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Has anyone said Cloud and Sephiroth's fight in ACC cos THAT.

To be fair, I thought this was limited to the games proper. But if one were to include all extent materials then yeah that certainly deserves to be on there. :mon:

And now that you made me think of ACC's Cloud vs Sephiroth... I kinda also wanna give mention to the final battle cutscene of Dissidia NT which was just... an orgasmic smorgasbord of badass fantasy fanservice violence. Like, it gives me goosembumps seeing it everytime, lol

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
lmao i was wondering if acc counted lmfao but i guess it does now bc we need more contenders tbh
560502606158626835.png

i would also like to nom tifa's fight scene with loz bc reasons.

NO ALSO THE WHOLE MOTORBIKE SEQUENCE WHEN THEY WERE FIGHTING EACH OTHER WHILST RIDING IT WAS SO RIDICULOUS

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
wow what the fuck everyone typed shit and i wasn't notified now i look a fool.

adding all of these, tyvm.

fancy

pants
AKA
Fancy
okay i've read everything.

i'll give y'all till saturday to nom some more since i changed up the rules last minute.

i'm such a pos, i'm sorry :okay:

kk go go go~!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom