Uematsu not involved in the remake...

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
I wonder if he was actually approached at all, or if SE is content to just ignore him while profiting off his work?
His split with the company involved some pretty bad intellectual property disputes after all.

That's the first I've heard of it. Source?

Lex

Administrator
^Yes, receipts please.

Also I know this is like... extreme blasphemy, but I do not care. His job is done, his music is phenomenal and that's that. All that needs to be done for the remake is modernisation, which to be frank Uematsu himself could have fucked up (metal everywhere). No matter what happens, his name will be in the end credits as the original composer of any track they remaster anyway.

Lex

Administrator
The Compilation is irrelevant tbf, I'm talking about Uematsu's post-IX work anywhere. I wouldn't put it past him to Black Mage-ify almost every battle track in FFVII, and I don't want that to happen. It still might, but hey ho. I just don't care one way or the other if he's involved. It would be nice, but that's all it would be. I don't hold the opinion that him not doing it means it's going to be any better or worse than if he was, because the groundwork (his glorious original magical soundtrack) is already there for someone else to follow.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
The Compilation is irrelevant tbf, I'm talking about Uematsu's post-IX work anywhere. I wouldn't put it past him to Black Mage-ify almost every battle track in FFVII, and I don't want that to happen.

I can't recall any Uematsu soundtrack to be particularly heavy on the metal (:monster: ) and eitherway, that would be no indication that he'd radically change the style of his VII soundtrack. One thing is a new style for a new OST for a new title, the other is remaking music for which the tone has already been established.

Anyway, I agree that he isn't needed for the actual work of arranging the music as he doesn't do complex arrangements or orchestrations anyway. (Also on that subject, he didn't do the arrangements for The Black Mages either).
But I'd still say it would've been nice for him to supervise it, like Shimomura did for KH HD.

That said, Square Enix has no shortage of other composers and arrangers that I'm sure can do a good job.

ultima espio

Pro Adventurer
The KH remasters were outsourced to another company, I think in the US, and I'm sure that FFX/X-2 was as well. It's likely that the same company will do this as well. They did a good job with 2.5 One Winged Angel:

There is no reason why they can't include the original OST in there as well.

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
But any instances of metal in the compilation came from people that weren't Uematsu...

You mean like...Advent Children?

Yes? :monster:

ultima espio said:
The KH remasters were outsourced to another company, I think in the US, and I'm sure that FFX/X-2 was as well.

The first one was recorded by gaQdan in Japan, the second by the Video Game Orchestra in the US, to be precise.
FFX was all done in synth though.

Last edited:

Monterosa

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Tom
The Compilation is irrelevant tbf, I'm talking about Uematsu's post-IX work anywhere. I wouldn't put it past him to Black Mage-ify almost every battle track in FFVII, and I don't want that to happen. It still might, but hey ho. I just don't care one way or the other if he's involved. It would be nice, but that's all it would be. I don't hold the opinion that him not doing it means it's going to be any better or worse than if he was, because the groundwork (his glorious original magical soundtrack) is already there for someone else to follow.

Tetsujin said:
Anyway, I agree that he isn't needed for the actual work of arranging the music as he doesn't do complex arrangements or orchestrations anyway. (Also on that subject, he didn't do the arrangements for The Black Mages either).
But I'd still say it would've been nice for him to supervise it, like Shimomura did for KH HD.

That said, Square Enix has no shortage of other composers and arrangers that I'm sure can do a good job.
I agree with this. Uematsu's work post-FFIX is highly inconsistent and for the most part just not very pleasant. While I do think Uematsu's input in terms of sharing his thinking behind each composition for Final Fantasy VII would be useful, I am confident that a composer like Mitsuto Suzuki would be more than capable of re-imagining his works and bestowing them a new lease of life. Save for the battle tracks, the FFX HD remaster soundtrack was handled superbly, with each Uematsu track improved tremendously by its new arrangement. As much as I'd like it, I doubt that Hamauzu will have any role in the FFVII remake, but the new generation of composers at Square-Enix, like Suzuki and Ryo Yamazaki are highly capable. Maybe even Shiro Hamaguchi, given that he's already done a number of arrangements for the earlier FF games, including VII.

hian said:
The reason I like Kanno, is because she's got extreme width as a producer. She's a professional producer that knows how to shed her skin and put on the coat of other musicians, emulating their style and getting the genre and feel of other works down to a T.
She also composes works that function most like Nobuo's in the sense that they're held together by a relatively simple, pop-ish center melody.
YES. I'm so glad you've mentioned Yoko Kanno. Everything she touches is brilliant. Though I doubt it will ever happen, I'd love to see her doing work for Square-Enix. She could bring in Maaya Sakamoto for vocal tracks.

Last edited:

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
The Compilation is irrelevant tbf, I'm talking about Uematsu's post-IX work anywhere. I wouldn't put it past him to Black Mage-ify almost every battle track in FFVII, and I don't want that to happen.

I agree with this. Uematsu's work post-FFIX is highly inconsistent and for the most part just not very pleasant.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom