Vendel's Nominee Q and A thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
In the Moderator Q and A threads, every member is allowed to ask potential moderator candidates questions to more completely gauge how you think they'd act as a mod. They are free to answer or not answer these questions as they like. I would ask that you keep the questions and answers fairly serious, since you're trying to determine if each nominee will be a good fit as a moderator. Now, don't think you can't have any fun with this, just don't completely lose the plot for jokes I'd also ask that you not use these threads to pursue vendettas or cause trouble, as it would be rude to the nominees.
Threads will remain open for half a week, after which a voting thread will be opened.

That said, this is the Q and A thread for Vendel, so get to it.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
a member reports one of your posts. how do you respond?

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
I'm gonna ask all the nominees this one:

A member who you consider a close friend is being a dick/is violating the rules/being a naughty little piglet - their post/s have been reported, and you are the only mod available to deal with it.

What do?

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
Do you think your ban from the debate section of the forum should affect your eligibility to become a staff member? Should you get the job, would you expect the ban to be overturned, or would you work around it?

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Tons of Clerith members join the board, how would you treat them?

Having already been influenced by the latent shipism of his bigoted posters, Vendel is driven to action when his father is shot and killed while debating in a LTD. Eventually Vendel becomes second-in-command of a neo-Cloti street gang and entices young Clotis to join. The gang commits acts of intimidation, such flaming, trolling and hate-mongering. These incidents go unnoticed by the family until Vendel has an argument with his mother's new boyfriend, who is Cleris and throws him out of his house. Later that night, while Vendel is having sex with his equally Cloti girlfriend, Vendel’s brother informs Vendel that three Cleris are attempting to steal their father's truck. Vendel runs outside and shoots at two of the men with a pistol, killing the first one instantly. He shoots and wounds the second man, one of the Cleris basketball players, and vows to "teach him a lesson" for trying to steal the truck his father gave him. He forces him to put his mouth on the curb, then brutally kills him by stomping on the back of his head, crushing his mouth against the curb. His brother watches in horror as this unfolds. The police arrest Vendel as he smiles at his shocked brother.

After being convicted of voluntary manslaughter, Vendel is sentenced to three years. Vendel’s brother later notes that if he had testified in Vendel's case, he would have been given a life sentence. In the prison, he joins the Cloti prison gang. After about a year, he becomes disillusioned with the gang, especially over the group's friendly dealings with a Clephiroth prison gang member, and their trafficking in yaoi fanfic. When he voices these opinions, he is first ignored and then reprimanded by the other Cloti. Vendel also develops a friendly rapport with Cleris prison inmate who works with him in the prison laundry. His fellow Clotis take notice of this and savagely beat him.

While still recovering from the attack, Vendel is visited by his Cleris former English teacher, whom he asks for help to be paroled. Although Vendel later became a Cloti, he had always maintained a level of respect for his Cleris teacher. His teacher informs him of Vendel’s brother’s aspiration to become a Cloti like Vendel. He confides in Vendel that he used to hate Cloti as a youth, but he realized that shipism is pointless. He asserts that Vendel has spent his life pursuing answers, and then asks: "Has anything you've done made your life better?" This proves a turning point for Vendel, who further distances himself from the Cloti Brotherhood and changes his outlook on life.

The morning Vendel is due to be released from prison; his brother reluctantly agrees to write a report on his incarceration after threats of expulsion. He is ordered to do so as punishment for handing in a report on Cloti fanfic. In the evening, when Vendel returns home, he finds that his brother has become a Cloti and then tries and fails to convince him to leave the gang. Later that night, at a Cloti party which Vendel attends and trolls the meeting. Vendel then tells his brother about his time and transformation in prison. The confession seems to prompt a change.

At school, after Vendel’s brother uses the urinal in the bathroom, he is confronted by a young Cleris student. The student pulls out a gun and shoots him in the chest, killing him. When Vendel arrives, he runs into the bathroom and tearfully cradles his brother in his arms. The film ends with Vendel narrating part of his brother’s paper, in which he quotes the conclusion of Abraham Lincoln's first inaugural address: "We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

Take after Vendel TLS. Let us hold hands in brotherhood and friendship.

Last edited:

Vendel

Banned
Apologies in advance for anyone who posted here while I was making this reply.

a member reports one of your posts. how do you respond?

First off any discussion of a staff members report should automatically remove their "vote" on the subject. Any response would depend on the decision of the rest of the staff and the nature of the post/posts itself. For your typical report a direct response would appear to be a conflict of interest. But for something of a more serious nature? That would be a more case by case basis decided on by the staff.

I'm gonna ask all the nominees this one:

A member who you consider a close friend is being a dick/is violating the rules/being a naughty little piglet - their post/s have been reported, and you are the only mod available to deal with it.

What do?

I'll be right up front and state this. My close friends are the people who I hang out with outside of the internet. Not to say that there can't be crossover there. It has happened. But that is a fairly solid line in my book.

Internet people are like co-workers or work-friends. Someone you see everyday and get along with. Even chat it up about the latest video game. But you don't go to Six Flags with them. I wont squeeze into the Mr. Freeze with just anyone.

As for the question at hand? Well it seems to me that the want for more active staff is so that one person doesn't have to make the decision. And any reported post can be handled relatively quickly.

The need for immediate action would be because of something more serious than your typical report. In which case it doesn't really matter who it is.

Tons of Clerith members join the board, how would you treat them?

Like everyone else.

I honestly don't care what people ship.

Do you think your ban from the debate section of the forum should affect your eligibility to become a staff member? Should you get the job, would you expect the ban to be overturned, or would you work around it?

I agree with Ⓐaron when he says it's time for Putting the bullshit behind us.

--------------

Everyone thank you for your questions. Please don't hesitate to ask any followup/clarification question you might have. I will get to those and any new questions that pop up as soon as I can.

Dawnbreaker

~The Other Side of Fear~
Like Octo I'm going to ask everyone the same question and see who answers it best, IMO: if you were made mod what's the first thing you'd do?

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
A question for all nominees:

You discover that a member has been talking shit about TLS outside the forum, but continues to visit/post here like nothing happened. Nobody else in TLS seem to be aware about it. How will you deal with it?

Vendel

Banned
A question for all nominees:

You discover that a member has been talking shit about TLS outside the forum, but continues to visit/post here like nothing happened. Nobody else in TLS seem to be aware about it. How will you deal with it?

Well if they are not causing trouble on the forum what do I care? Besides it has been my experience that these grievances tend to come out sooner or later.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
Another question for all the nominees:

What would you do to promote inclusion/encourage participation from shyer/quieter/less active members? (Not just new members)

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Follow-up question to my first one:

I'd like to reverse Unlucky's question, kind of: TLS members have beef with each other that started outside of TLS but has now spilled out onto the forum. How would you deal with the situation? Bearing in mind that as much of the trouble occured off site and you have no frame of reference/are unable to take that into consideration?

Vendel

Banned
Another question for all the nominees:

What would you do to promote inclusion/encourage participation from shyer/quieter/less active members? (Not just new members)

Interesting question.

You can't just make some big forum event and expect people to jump in. It's not a case of "if you build it they will come". Short of forcing people to post more there really isn't much you could do outside of just engaging the less active members in some meaningful way. Be that on their page or sending PM's to them. Of course actually replying to the post people do make (again in a meaningful way) would also help some people feel more comfortable with being more active.

Then again some people just like to lurk.

Vendel

Banned
Follow-up question to my first one:

Octo said:
I'd like to reverse Unlucky's question, kind of: TLS members have beef with each other that started outside of TLS but has now spilled out onto the forum. How would you deal with the situation? Bearing in mind that as much of the trouble occured off site and you have no frame of reference/are unable to take that into consideration?

Being aware that members have issues with each other outside of the forum can be a heads up to watch for any problems that may arise here. But it really can't factor in to the decision of the staff on what to do in case there is a breaking of the rules.

And if staff finds out about these things after a rule breaking you can't just retroactively add more punishment because two people have a history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom